1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Yep. No way Rockets release him. Doesn't make any sense. At worst, it's $2.5 million down the drain. Royce doesn't have a national voice, so his problems won't be broadcast like Melo, Dwight, etc.

2. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

He is an outspoken gentleman who, for the first time in his life, is in a position where people will listen to him. He gained a lot of goodwill by being public about his disease (i.e. Grantland documentary, outpouring of tweets, etc.) and I think he just decided to run with it.

Unfortunately for him (and the Rockets), he's taken it too far. He's decided he wants to be an ambassador for his disease rather than a professional. That is his choice and he should be allowed to make it. The sad thing is that he doesn't realize that he's doing more harm for his platform than good. He's taken an admirable idea and executed it in the worst possible way.

3. tofu--

tofu-- Member

The worst part is almost everyone on our roster has been to the NBDL at some point (Lin/Morris/Patterson etc etc etc) and even D-Mo, who played TONS better than Royce during summer league and is actually MORE entitled to minutes than Royce, is going without a word of public complaint.

I'm sick of Royce and I know we're not releasing him, but this is one of those cases where you need to drop these cancers like a bad habit. It's not worth it, it really isn't.

4. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere here on clutchfans but for anyone who hasn't seen it, thought I would post this youtube vid. Short documentary on Royce discussing what he deals with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ

I really feel for the guy, this whole situation is still a mess though. Unfortunate.

5. carayip

carayip Member

Perhaps lying is part of mental disorder... Just blame everything on it!

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe TMac had mental illness too. What do we know? Maybe tinman has been so insensitive to TMac's mental problems he should be categorized as "ignorant." :grin:

7. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

This dude is a lost cause. What a wasted pick. I had hopes for him, but after my back and forth with him on twitter... Dude is asking for the world.

8. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

HE needs to quit pointing the finger and start looking in the mirror.

9. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

Royce White is living in what might happen tomorrow, which is completely beyond his control. He needs to focus on playing basketball, today, wherever the Rockets direct him to do so. If he does that, everything else will sort itself out.

10. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Right but the "there's so much people seem to know" then linking to the Chronicle suggests he feels the media's coverage is either biased, misinformed or pure speculation based on the "validity" comment.

I agree though that calling out the "head honcho" and saying he "won't speak" also makes him appear to be critical of DM/LA too.

11. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Dude guess what Holmes, Sherlock...right?- I got a anxiety disorder, in no way is it similar to Royce's, or maybe it is, I have no clue...

I do know that it has affected me my whole life, I have gone through my life, had fun in high-school, played sports, accomplished all one could I would think then, and then went off to college, did not play sports, however I am around a certain pro circuit usually in the summer time, due to a friend of mine being a pro in a certain sport

-He knows of my disorder, and sometimes he has to tell me to take a deep breath, and we will laugh about it, THAT IS MY JOB at times-To work for a Professional, get him going, get his mind right, get him physically ready as well, and try and talk to companies that may want something to do with him. During, and before (since my friend became a pro, and graduated before me) I graduated college, as well, did great in my major, and learned to communicate with my Profs., and again accomplished all that I had gone after, following college I have had a big time job or few, and you know what I WENT TO WORK, and I WAS AT WORK EARLY, wasn't one to stay too late though!:eek: Jk I do actually love OVERTIME pay, and if I LOVE OVERTIME PAY (the extra little it is on my far less pay scale than a Professional athlete in most situations-of course there are exceptions), I can not imagine what it'd be like to get paid maybe MILLIONS of dollars TO PLAY A SPORT, one in which he supposedly should LOVE after all (Royce I speak of, or any player with such talent that has launched them into the Professional Spotlight)....

-It isn't a touchy subject at all, .....it is however though, when you decide to come out in college, and tell the whole public, or the basketball world that "ROYCE WHITE HAS AN ANXIETY DISORDER"-now I'm not sure if he came out and referred himself in the third person....so maybe take my quotes away, he isn't T.O. right? :cool: So he got some extra benefits in college, ended up at Iowa St. when I mention these "benefits" which included his grandfather, or such I forgot driving him to games, etc., he played well it looks like at Iowa St., and was loved there, in fact that whole Bergstrom center, those big donors there at Iowa St. Mr. Royce White, I speak to you....I know them, and I am probably pretty damn sure they helped you along your way through Iowa St., maybe even got you INTO that school, I am speaking totally from just speculation, but I do HOWEVER KNOW the family, and I know how great of people they are to the Iowa St. family/University.....Royce this isn't Iowa St. this is a cut throat bus. that I'm sure if you know one of them as well, could tell you when you become a professional, and are being paid, you just do your job, be thankful, and especially thankful for a job you got with the help of IOWA ST. giving you a place to shine. Royce, you were still a first round pick, a fallen one that a team was going to have to gamble on because of your "open" talks, and issues, on your condition. I feel for Royce, I know it is tough, but sometimes you got to do what you gotta do.

Anyways to get on with your statement, ok so yes it is a problem when your employers, and the public know....I don't know who typed up his statement, but let me get one thing straight if it is a player-commodity league well, let me set that statement straight-the players are a commodity to the LEAGUE, it isn't a business where just because you are a commodity that the TEAM that OWNS your RIGHTS, is going to cater to everything you ask for, no matter your own issues...maybe his lawyer thinks that just every player is some special commodity, the thing behind this whole commodity idea of Royce, and maybe his lawyer who typed this up is, maybe they don't understand the definition of a commodity which I will define from wiki- "In economics, a commodity is the generic term for any marketable item produced to satisfy wants or needs.[1] Economic commodities comprise goods and services.[2]"

-So Royce where in the world does you being, while yes a commodity, that is in a profession that has a low, and slim supply to choose from of players. There is still just enough of a supply that you, Royce, as a player, have to prove to THE NBA, to YOUR TEAM that GAVE YOU THIS CHANCE, as a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK, the HOUSTON ROCKETS, Royce, you have to prove that you are a commodity worth it to each entity stated above, and to other marketing ventures, you, Royce maybe looking for...You have to prove you are a VALUABLE commodity...just because one is drafted in a league that has a low supply of Players(commodities to the NBA, and to each TEAM), that one is a "valuable" commodity to the League, to the team one belongs to....just because one gets drafted in the NBA doesn't mean you are a commodity that will stay, kind of like that old xerox machine in an office that breaks all the time, it soon gets replaced, even though it may be expensive.....;)

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Royce white is turning into T-Will 2.0 with the tweeting

13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Damn, it has gotten about that strange, right? :eek:

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

um ...not even close. way way worse.

btw: i heard that if jeremy Lin pees on you, you go straight to heaven.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

#wordapp vs #transparent

Who wins?

16. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

edit on first line excuse me AN anxiety...hopefully my spelling is ok there...this is a forum "HMMMM" you sound like a bitter old person, coming on here blasting people for saying the dude should either get to work, or something should happen to him...

-Well guess what the Rockets are now fining him for missing anything they told him, or tell him to do, meetings, practice, etc....He's getting fined...I hope he reads "all of us bitter old people "HMMMMM" because he needs to know, he is not anything special yet...)

17. BeardlyBeardman

All I can say is that if this is about playing time as Feigen aludes to then I'm really disappointed and have lost respect for the young man.

If this is really some grand stand he's taking about his illness then what hardships have the rockets made him suffer? They asked you to see their doctor? I understand he's upset about the reporting because it isn't flattering but no one made him skip practice or the game, did they? His coach didn't even know he wasn't there. I get the impression that he's implying Morey is to blame here, but I have a hard time seeing how that could be the case.

Did Morey tell you to skip the game because you wouldn't see the doctor?

18. torocan

torocan Member

It doesn't necessarily mean that he's lying, he may simply be rationalizing his behavior.

He may truly BELIEVE that he has acted reasonably, and is being treated unfairly. Unfortunately, the rationalizations for his behavior may not line up with how he is being actually percieved.

That's the problem with Rationalization... you can come up with a logic and reasoning to justify just about any poor decision. Whether it's ignoring overwhelming statistical data (like Karl Rove), or justifying an affair (like General Petraeus).

I'd like to think that Royce isn't trying to intentionally lie about what he's done. That would imply that he's a bad person.

However, just because he does not Believe that he is being untruthful, does not make the actual sequence of events any less factual.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

His tweets indicate that he thinks it's okay to skip practices if he just tells the Rockets he will skip. They also indicate that he thinks he should be entitled to playing time anyway.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Royce doesn't appear to be ready for anything, ever.