1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Convictedstupid

Where did it say Morris texted him?

2. Arthurprescott2

relieved to see that our other players are classy enough/smart enough not to say anything in this situation.

3. TISNF

TISNF Member

Link

1 person likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

It doesn't matter if his physician is not a mental health expert. White trusts HIS physician. It does not matter how many degrees you may have, you need to be able to connect with Royce White (and others with this illness) first and foremost. He needs to feel the personal investment before he allows himself to do the same.

Moreso than anxiety, White has HUGE trust issues and he needs to believe that he is sincerely embraced before he can give of himself as well as his best in reciprocation.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

kinda funny, kinda ironic.

There is also a trending topic called #inhighschool

6. Convictedstupid

Rep'd.

7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

ok.....................

not doing the rox any favors either being on twitter all day

8. Bill Bradley

Bill Bradley Member

Of course it matters if you are trained to treat the problem.

9. jogo

jogo Member

What if Royce is right?

Am I the only one who thinks this whole escapade smells like character assassination? What if Royce is trying to follow an agreement he made with the Rockets and they are backing out of a deal they made with him? The Rockets could be setting him up to try to negate his guaranteed contract or something of that nature.

If the Rockets respect Royce's issues, then why are they putting out information like this?!: [Rockets have "set up mental health appointments for Royce every single day since he's been here" and he hasn't been to one yet.] The only reason you release that kind of statement is if you're trying to make your player look bad. That's not trying to help the situation, that's trying to gain an edge on public opinion. And the idea that someone has a therapy appointment "every single day" is ludicrous unless they are in an inpatient facility (and those patients don't get individual therapy every day, either).

As some have mentioned, it looks like White sees a PCP for his anxiety. That's probably not who I'd recommend but if White has a relationship with that person that he's comfortable with then why should he change therapists just to please the Rockets organization?

This isn't to say that I agree with all the tweeting by Royce or the statements to the media. But IF his agent/handler is supporting his statements then maybe there's a reason for that.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I don't think texts are enough. This kid is gunshy. He needs to have his hand held and have people go the extra mile for him before he does the same. We all saw that if he has your back, he really has your back when he stood up for Dragic in Summer League.

Dragic may have been his only true friend on the team. Or Royce White was acting on impulse/rage. This guy has been known to do both.

But most of all, setting mental health appointments for a guy like him is not enough. Someone has to make a commitment and actually drive this guy to these appointments. Babysit and guide him. The guy grew up without a father, this is the type of figure that would have the most impact on him.

Jerry Jones has done something very similar with Dez Bryant.

11. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="268566894292918274"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans">clutchfans</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/bull50">bull50</a> Careful in what you guys say, there is no truth to this, its DEFAMING. Check the sources, i'll wait for the retraction!</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268599983471747072" data-datetime="2012-11-14T06:23:21+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

Royce White ‏@Highway_30
    @clutchfans @bull50 Careful in what you guys say, there is no truth to this, its DEFAMING. Check the sources, i'll wait for the retraction!

13. AbrahamLincoln

Now it's getting interesting. He wants a retraction from Clutch and Bullard.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

He keeps tweeting about transparency. He doesn't owe an explanation to the fans, but since he's already trying to make this a public discussion through Twitter he should actually be transparent and just say what really happened.

The more he tweets about ambiguities makes it seem like he's just drawing this thing out.

15. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-in-reply-to="268566894292918274"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans">clutchfans</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/bull50">bull50</a> Careful in what you guys say, there is no truth to this, its DEFAMING. Check the sources, i'll wait for the retraction!</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268599983471747072" data-datetime="2012-11-14T06:23:21+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. Arthurprescott2

it's not just to please the Rockets. It's in the best interest of the Rockets that Royce stays/gets healthy. And thus we trust the matter to professionals who know what they are doing. Are you going to undermine the entire mental health profession? No right? Then yea, seeing a professional would have been better, right? He might be comfortable w/ his PCP but he could also see a qualified therapist as well, no? What's the problem?

That said, maybe he interpreted being sent to the D-League as punitive action.

17. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

This is the negatives of social media...terrible that it is coming down to stuff like this

18. TISNF

TISNF Member

Jesus...if he's going to go ahead and make public comments on Twitter, how about someone just invites him on here to "set the record straight".

Let's cut the crap and stop drawing this out.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

For someone like you or I, of course this may be the most important factor. Not for someone with mental health issues. What is important to you or I is not always the same with someone with an issue like anxiety, OCD or even trust issues. With White he has all 3 issues combined.

But I am no expert so I do not want to pretend I know what is going on in this kid's mind. But after looking up a dozen cases and articles about some of his mental health challenges, I am only glad that I do not suffer from what he does.

20. Convictedstupid

Yeah, I don't think he understands want 'transparency' means. Him saying 'the rockets' haven't held up their end of the bargain' isn't being transparent. That's actually being quite the opposite.