1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White skips game and practice (UPDATE: White issues statement)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 13, 2012.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Staying QUIET, because its "less sticky" is the greatest enemy of <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Honesty">#Honesty</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Transparency">#Transparency</a>. For MY anxiety it helps to be honest. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23MyCure">#MyCure</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268593545726808064" data-datetime="2012-11-14T05:57:46+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I'm very disappointed...

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have never had a man-crush on a player's game the way I did with Royce white. I badly wanted this to work. I have so many questions, not the leat of which is what kind of relationship does he have with Morey. Can this thing be repaired before it's too late? And at the risk of pissing some people off, did the rockets ever discuss the D-league possibility when they worked out their agreement about accommodating his mental illness? Because if they didn't, the org really screwed up. I'm pretty sure you can't get into a comfortable routine if you are shuffling between the NBA and the D league. This was bound to be difficult for a person with white's disorder.

4. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Just cut him.

5. scaramanga

scaramanga Member

He is NOT going stay quiet...
    starting to sound like Dwight..

1 person likes this.
  6. TISNF

TISNF Member

Why would the D-League option be mentioned in contract negotiations? Should Morey do the same with all rookies/free agents?

The D-League is PART OF THE GAME...it's PART OF HIS JOB. If anything, traveling with RGV should be less stressful -- and it gives him an opportunity to ease into the NBA.

**** this guy. He's getting some really bad advice from his agent/publicist. The guy hasn't done **** to be badmouthing his employer.

Earn your place.

7. TISNF

TISNF Member

Hypothetical question: What happens when he actually plays a game and gets booed by the home/road crowd? Will he start tweeting and badmouthing the fans?

8. AbrahamLincoln

He was never going to be shuttling back and forth. He was going there and staying there for a while. He was behind D-MO for minutes. As much as everyone wants the rookies to play Royce probably would not have see the floor till next yr unless we were to trade away multiple 4's.

This is all in past tense because the only pro ball he will see is in China now.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

This article was eye opening. In many ways. White has his mental health challenges: Anxiety disorder, OCD, and a very real and overriding fear to trust.

The guy is seriously in need of father figure in Houston. He trusts no one and is prone to impulsiveness and attention seeking. He is intelligent as well so is very adept at manipulation, especially via the media.

If he had a support group, or better yet a father figure, with the Rockets, I have no doubt he would do anything to please/protect them. But if he believes that the Rockets are not sincere in caring for him (as a unique individual and not as some common asset) but rather treat him as a commodity then there is no hope of gaining his loyalty, let alone his commitment.

That said, this kid is a marketing whiz. For good or ill, he knows how to create interest. As good as he is on the court, this may well be where his true talent lies.

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

#fireRoyce

Lets get this going

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm not defending him, but he is a special case. We knew that when we drafted him. Establishing a routine and a comfort level is critical for people with anxiety issues. Whereas straddling the D league and NBA may seem like no big deal to regular people, it's likely to be an issue with someone who has an anxiety disorder. All I'm asking is if it was discussed, and yes, it should have been.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He is ignoring Marcus Morris' texts.

People are reaching out to him.

13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Goodbye Royce White, you are no longer a part of the team in my mind. Sorry but can't feel too sorry for a guy tweeting everything but fail to respond to your teammates and fail to show up at your job.

14. Super Lintendo

pr girls are either employed by the agency or everything goes through the agent before release

15. TISNF

TISNF Member

Marketing whiz? You mean he's good at exploiting this mountain out of a mole hill?

Has anybody mentioned that he's b****ing about preemptive health issues -- meanwhile his coach is tending to an urgent family emergency?

Stay classy, Royce.

16. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Everybody wants to be on the "We support" "We want to help" wagon, but when they realize its a TOUGH wagon to be on, they SLOWLY back away.</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/268596337560412163" data-datetime="2012-11-14T06:08:51+00:00">November 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There are two factors going on.

1. His anxiety.
    2. His immaturity.

I think #2 is in control right now.

18. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I just realized that Royce White is getting paid twenty grand a game to whine about how hard his life is. This makes me feel bad about the world, as I'm living on that much per YEAR doing government sustainability research that requires an engineering degree.

19. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

How does this effect my Royce White rep status? Does it give me permission to go nuts?

Seriously though, this kid needs help. I wish him the best, and hope that whatever happens is in the best interests of both him and the Rockets. I've started to get a bit of an Eddie Griffin vibe, let's hope it ends up much better.

1 person likes this.
  20. TISNF

TISNF Member

Yup. If this erratic behavior continues...well I just hope he's got friends or family living with him.