1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White refuses assignment to D-League (UPDATE: Rockets suspend him)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fawkward, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Do you want the Rockets to give up on Royce White?

1. No. He's a talent that can help us win down the road.

156 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. Yes. He's not worth it. Cut him from the team.

566 vote(s)
    78.4%
  1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Is this D League not being a part of the protocol seriously happening? WTF!!! :mad:

This guy is the biggest douche bag I have ever come across in sports...He needs to have his face pounded.

I cant stand him at all. He really just needs to drop basketball and move onto another career.

2. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Wait... so Royce says that he would play for the Vipers "as soon as the protocol recommended by the team doctors is implemented," but protocol says playing in the D-League is bad for him? :confused:

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dear Royce,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is exactly it. He basically wants a blank check to do whatever he wants, as long as his shady doctor supports it.

5. rz5zt6

rz5zt6 Member

hey I am from China, is there any law in US that company can't fire employee with mental disease?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

ah.... crap

I knew he would quote him.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Too bad the only truth is, Joyce is a selfish cheat who openly lies to the public. So I don't know why he's quoting Gandhi, because the only minority he's part of is being a lazy prick who steals money from the Rockets.

#truth #BeWell #AnxietyAttack #IContributeNothingToSociety

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Great analysis, CH.

Given that this will be a matter of first impression for any governing body, there is no way to know how any decision will be determined or on what legal principles such determination will be made. But I've certainly seen judicial decisions based on "flimsier" arguments (for lack of a better word) than the mutual mistake theory you bring up.

I honestly have ZERO clue how these issues will be resolved. I won't even pretend to know what will happen here.

9. seyton

seyton Member

Not that you CANT fire them, its just a lot harder to fire them without being sued.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can fire people. However, a company has to try make reasonable accommodations for the employee. Where the lawyers jump in is where "reasonable" starts and stops. What is reasonable to the rockets may not be reasonable to Royce White.

Here is the summary of the employment part of the law from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americans_with_Disabilities_Act_of_1990

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Seeing as though its been reported that Royce has refused the assistance of the NBPA, in the case of litigation, would it essentially be the NBA vs. Royce White and his agent(who probably doesn't have much experience battling a huge corporate entity like the NBA)?

First impressions or not, doesn't seem like a battle anyone is going to win without something extremely harmful being done to Royce by the Rockets and the NBA. The NBA front office is basically just a huge collection of some of the most decorated, schrewd lawyers North America has to offer.

Still, Im in the thinking that IF, this was going to be a case that would potentially go to court, Les & Morey seem like the type that might just waive him & pay him the remaining amount of his salary owed for this year and next just to avoid the public mess that could happen in court. I mean, we are talking about the owner who is essentially paying 9 players salaries this season that aren't even on the team anymore currently. If they just waive him, they get to wash their hands of him IMMEDIATELY, and there would be no case to be no reason for Royce White to take on anyone in court since.... well his contract that was signed was fulfilled in its entirety.

#1071 dobro1229, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  12. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

That would be awesome if its NBA vs Royce White instead of Rockets vs Royce.

I wonder what advise or support NBA front office has been offering the Rox behind the scenes? Or if any?

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

As much as I would love for the Rockets to receive compensation, I'm afraid it sets a dangerous precedent for thee future voiding of contracts. We knew about White's condition beforehand, no? If they void it for mental illness, what's to stop them voiding it for physical injury or under performing?

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Royce is conflating assistance and accomodation.

As in "we understand you have problems and will assist you in doing the things we need from you as a professional, but you still need to do those things"

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't think it would effect future contracts. It's not like Joyce would be cut due to mental illness. It's due to him choosing not to show up for any team practices, games, D-League assignments, and overall being a insubordinate piece of schitte. If work equals monetary compensation, then Joyce hasn't earn a single dime he's gotten.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

My big fear is that this will be an ongoing thing.

The team may finally agree to a protocol that involves the doctors' input more when it comes to mental health issues, and Royce rejoins the team in some way -- at least practicing with the big team. After a few weeks of seeing little or no playing time with the Rockets, he comes unhinged again and his new level of anxiety needs to be officially addressed yet again, while he sits at home tweeting for a while.

It's hard for me to fathom this nightmare finally ending unless Royce miraculously is so brilliant during practice that he gets the minutes his ego needs to keep him from becoming overly anxious. The truth is that at his talent level, he needs lots of practice time with the team before he's of enough value to McHale to warrant any real time on the court.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A couple things that please me about this situation.

1) His latest words say its not the Rockets fault. Thats a step in the right direction at least.

2) He hasnt gotten paid due to fines. This seems fair since no work means no pay to me. But it also takes away my perception that he was still getting hundreds of thousands of dollars for doing nothing.

So for me, my personal scales have tipped slightly in White's direction after seemingly no reason at all up to this point in regards to his behavior, not his condition. His condition I have always had sympathy for.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Anyone know if he got a signing bonus?

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Henry Abbot talks about Royce White on ESPN Headlines.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?&playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:8812776&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks. Thought this is the most simple and fair way to deal with it. HOU lives with its decision to draft White and doesn't ask the other teams to give them a draft pick for the risk they take. Also doesn't require as much innovation like doing a "loan" to an Euro team that isn't part of the NBA rules.

From White's perspective, it doesn't hurt him much to have HOU hold his NBA rights-- no other team is more likely than HOU to agree to whatever "protocol" he is asking for, and I suspect the NBA itself may well be the one not agreeing to then"protocol," A overseas team may work under different rules and have different ways and incentives to accommodate him.

Doubt Morey and Les cares about the publicity that much. All the tweets from Terrence Williams didn't do a thing to get him out early (waived only after trade options exhausted at the deadline and he about to become FA). Also, people have been screaming about the team needing to tank and they carried on their own plan.

Their interest is trying to win a title. With White, getting the money back and even the cap room ($1.6M only) does little to offset the value of his draft rights even now when he isn't playing. So, as Woj reported, they are unlikely to outright release him. So, I think Either he continues with his "redshirt" status (while maybe not getting paid due to suspension) or maybe they work out a deal as I outlined. Just my guess.