1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White out with "personal matter"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 2, 2012.

1. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Agreed!

Indeed. Hope all will be well with him soon. He made an impression in the summer league. Just need to give him time to get over the bump in the road.

2. SaoPaolo

SaoPaolo Member

i dont think any day past put him off the bench...
    he will go to Rio Grande this season already.
    less one cut roster issue to think about,
    next season he wll be ok and come back

3. thisiscaketown

The number of Chicken Littles here is too damn high.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you are a person, you are not an asset.

5. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Saddle up boys! It's gonna be rough ride.

Lose one game: EVERYBODY SUCKS! FIRE MURRAY!

Win one game: CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM! MURRAY'S A GENIUS!

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

An acute anxiety attack can be debilitating and come out of nowhere. Give the kid a few days. His overall health is much more important than basketball.

If we, the Rockets, take care of him properly, we will be the beneficiary of his skills. I just think that someone (Morey, Les, Hoiberg) needs to get in McHale's ear and educate him on dealing with Royce's issues properly. The last thing he needs is McHale riding his ass like a drill sargeant.

Hang in there Royce.

2 people like this.
  7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

he had the entire summer to be "out"....

8. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

it will be both at the same time, win or lose :p
    some will be looking to win, some will be hoping to tank

10. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

11. macho87

macho87 Member

Retires due to anxiety

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

if he can't make it, welcome him to the Vipers..:grin:

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mental health stuff are touchy. There probably are egal restrictions on how much an employer can publicly disclose about these things.

14. jogo

jogo Member

Royce White was reportedly diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) in high school. GAD is actually quite common as far as mental illness goes, about 5% of the general population meet criteria for it.

GAD involves excessive anxiety and worry in addition to at least 3 symptoms from this list: restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge, being easily fatigued, difficulty concentrating or mind going blank, irritability, muscle tension, sleep disturbance.

If the GAD diagnosis is accurate, then RW is most likely not having panic attacks (Panic Disorder), is not solely concerned with being embarrassed in public (social phobia), and likely does involve physical symptoms (e.g., sweating, twitching, muscle aches). However, individuals with GAD often have co-occurring disorders as well (such as Panic Disorder or a Mood Disorder). (see the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV-TR for more information).

It's hard to say, "Royce and his doctor should have prepared him for this day." Well, yeah, easier said then done. I bet they have been working hard on this anxiety and have still had this hiccup.

SILVER LINING: Anxiety disorders are some of the most easy to treat of all the mental illnesses. The currently accepted "best practices model" to treat anxiety has probably been around for 30 years or so. It's effective (hopefully this is what his therapist is using). Also, Royce seemed to handle his anxiety well during March Madness and during the summer league. It's probably the case that he was managing anxiety during those times with his treatment and will be able to manage anxiety about the regular season in a similar fashion.

1 person likes this.
  15. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

This is why he slipped to us. I hope he can get well soon, anxiety is a tricky thing to deal with and for doctors to treat.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I honestly hope he figures it out. Les should hook him up with the best docs and therapists. Should be a temporary setback.

17. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

As insensitive and ignorant as this comment may be. It's FREAKING hilarious.

18. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

I think it may just be an untimely death in the family (well, when are deaths ever timely?). Best wishes to Royce.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I feel bad for him but I had a bad feeling when I saw one of is interviews.

He didn't seem confident this would be a smooth ride.