1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by AznBallerz55, Dec 10, 2002.

1. AznBallerz55

AznBallerz55 Member

If the texans can get McGahee as our top pick. Do u think the texans have a chance to get Roy Williams as our first second round pick if he comes out?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Roy Williams is an absolute lock as a top ten pick, if he comes out. There's no doubt whatsoever.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

no one and nothing is a lock at this way early stage, but i think it's safe to assume williams will be long gone when the texans draft in the second round. also, i doubt mcgahee will be the team's top pick.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Texans pick Charles Rogers?

Please say yes. :)

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Texans should either take Rogers with the 1st pick or Fat, Lard, and Beef for the O-Line with the first 3 picks.

6. Refman

I've heard that the plan is to address the O line via free agency and mid round picks.

7. drapg

drapg Member

Unless there are additional provisions that I don't know about, if the season ended today the Texans would have the 5th or 6th pick.

Ahead of them would be Cincy and 3/4 of the NFC North.

Rogers will most likely be gone by then, to either Detroit or Minnesota. Leftwich and Palmer may also be gone to Cincy and Chicago.

That leaves us with a multitude of defensive players to choose from, even though its not our number one priority. No O-linemen deserves to be taken so high, so I think trading down would be our best bet, unless Williams chooses to leave Texas early... than we'd have to take a long, hard, look at him.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

huh?? man, i'm a UT fan, too...but there is no way he's a LOCK to go in the top 10...how many teams need a receiver who are drafting in the top 10??? how many receivers will get taken before roy??? i can think of at least one in Rogers. he may very well get drafted in the top 10...but that's no lock.

9. Hey Now!

who have you heard that from?

considering the bowl season hasn't even kicked off yet, let alone the postseason workouts, not to mention the underclassmen haven't declared and we still have no idea who will be a free agent... i'm guessing they haven't bothered to formulate a plan just yet.

10. The Cat

Max:

Teams will trade up, then. Roy's big, physical, has speed, and virtually every talent in the book for wide receivers. Receivers of his talent don't drop unless they have some serious character issues. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Roy goes ahead of Rogers, because of the character issue.

11. Refman

A friend has been told that the Texans want to go after an O tackle currently playing in San Diego. I don't know if it is true or not...but this guy has friends working in the front office of just about every sports team in town. I don't know how he meets these guys.

Take this with a grain of salt since it's friend of a friend type stuff.

The Texans would be well served to get a veteran tackle and look to build in other ways in the draft. Usually rookie O linemen aren't ready for NFL play.

If San Diego puts the franchise tag on their free agent O tackle...then all bets are off.

12. Hey Now!

hmmmmm...... here's a list of potential free agents in SD:

David Binn, LS
    Steve Christie, K
    Steve Heiden, TE
    Orlando Ruff, LB
    Ronney Jenkins, RS*

no LT. they have two fairly young tackles on their roster, but they're not free agents, that i know of. damien mcinstosh in their starting LT, but, again, not a free agent that i know of.

13. drapg

drapg Member

I like the idea of trading down to obtain additional picks and drafting the likes of a Gross (Utah) or Williams (FSU).

Unless we keep on winning games and end up in the bottom of the top 10! :D

14. Hey Now!

there are no issues, re: rogers' character; there also aren't any injury issues with rogers, either. williams, otoh, has been the victim of nagging injuries, this year and, if not mistaken, last year, too.

anyway, i'm not questioning williams' talent, just this notion that in december, someone's a lock to go anywhere in the draft. it's much, much too early.

15. drapg

drapg Member

Wayne Gandy
    Grant Williams
    Blake Brockermeyer
    Jon Jansen
    Flozell Adams
    Luke Petitgout
    Chris Terry
    Todd Steussie
    Victor Riley
    Orlando Pace

list of OT's to be free agents at the end of this season.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What character issue? Rogers was a victim of his girlfriend stabbing him with a fork, not vice versa.

Simms is a 1st round lock too, right? ;)

17. The Cat

of course Simms is a first round lock.

When Michigan St. struggled, Rogers had a quote to the effect of him being "mad because the rest of the team sucking cost him his chance at the Heisman". If that doesn't send up warning flags, I'm not sure what does...

18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bengals (1-12) - QB - Carson Palmer
    Vikings (3-10) - WR - Charles Rodgers or DL - Suggs
    Bears (3-10) - QB - Byron Leftwich
    Lions (3-10) - RB - Willis McGahee
    Seahawks (4-9) - DL - either one of the penn st. guys
    Texans (4-9) - lots of options

* take a RB: top RBs left would be Chris Brown, Larry Johnson and Ontario Smith.
    * Take a big time Defensive player: We'd have a shot at the other Penn St. DL stand-out
    * Trade down: you could trade with a team (Dallas?) who is looking for a franchise running back.
    * BAP: you could take the best available offensive line-man, big play wide receiver, etc.

Bottom line, the best back will be gone by the time the Texans pick. As you can see, we're only one game back of the vikes, bears, and lions. We're tied with the seahawks, so anything can happen in the next three weeks. In the best case scenario, we win some more games this year, finish with a pick in the top four or five behind the Bengals, Vikings, and Bears, all of which do not need a back like Willis McGahee, and we get Boseli back.

We're looking pretty good, only bad thought is that we'd miss out on McGahee.

One word of caution, Dallas, Jacksonville, Carolina, St. Louis, Washington, and Arizona all have five wins. Which puts them one game behind (ahead) us in the race for the higher draft pick.

19. Live

Live Member

C'Mon, Cat, that's a bit of a stretch, huh?

Making an immature remark after a disappointing loss\season is one thing, but doing something like being charged with a DUI or shoplifting is completely different.

And even then, I still think you give a kid a second chance if its a one-time mistake, no one's perfect.

I'm with Ric, its way too early to start declaring locks. I'm just happy to see that this draft could be a solid one, and the Texans should come out of it with several nice players.

20. drapg

drapg Member

McGahee is only a sophomore. Has he made overtures about coming out early?

I wouldn't take a chance on Johnson or Brown. I like Henderson out of Marlyand or the Gross out of Utah. I think we could trade down and still get them. Let someone else take a chance with another PSU tailback.