1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Roy Williams tells Dez Bryant to carry his pads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by EffTheJazz!!!, Jul 25, 2010.

1. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Wow, Dez stop being a b**** and just carry the damn pads. If he wasn't a star 1st round draft pick, he would done it.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I personally break Dez's decision into two parts.

1. Was he inherently wrong in refusing to carry pads? My answer would be NO. As many have pointed out, this type of stuff doesn't necessarily have to occur and generally isn't morally right.

2. Was he stupid in refusing to carry pads? My answer would be YES. There is literally no benefits for him for doing this, besides having a lesser workload when it comes to carrying equipments and keeping his very big ego intact. While the negative repercussions can be quite severe depending on how he follows up his actions. It's not exactly helpful when a rookie isn't looked upon kindly by the veterans.

In the end, I would've done it in his shoes. It's just petty to make a fuss out of such a small deal. If in return, I can get on-field/off-field advice from veterans out of respect, it's not even a bad trade-off. We're not talking about a hazing ritual where they pull nasty pranks on you or your wallet. It's just carrying someone's freaking pads.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Sounds like Dallas has the 2nd coming of TO. If he can't play as well as him he's going to be a huge bust, and team cancer.

4. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

How about they focus on bickering and implode? Maybe they can all head up to denton and smoke pot together. Maybe hit jerry jones with the team bus while they're at it.

/Eagles fan.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i think that kinda proves major's point. some people are for it, some are against it, both coaches and players. it shouldn't be a big deal if someone doesn't want to do it.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That brings up the point of where do you draw the line. As I pointed out, even Brad Childress (who is against rookie 'hazing') seemingly allow veterans to be 'hazed'.

Dez Bryant is going to go through a lot more grief in any given game than being asked to carry Williams' shoulder pads.

7. Major

Major Member

Agree - I was only addressing his point that the only people who would be against it are people who've never played football. That's clearly not true.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

again, that's using the term hazing very loosely. had they tried to force brett favre to use that chair, that could be comparable.

and you're not dez bryant. people do have different reactions to things.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

great...the start of something cancerous...

hazing is apart of it...it's not like he's being teabagged or anything...its fn pads...

DOOMED!!!!

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so whats the big deal? is Dez too embarrassed to be seen carrying Roy's Maxi Pads?

11. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

My guess is that Dez is going to get stuck with a HUGE dinner tab! I'm also guessing that nobody on this board has been in a NFL training camp or locker room, so all those saying it Dez was right or wrong really don't have a clue.

12. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

I disagree... at least his mentality of not picking up the pads isn't, "hey I'm a star first rounder I'm better than you why should i carry your pads" its more of "I'm just here to play, I don't wanna get into this stuff, I'm too busy preparing for the NFL season" which I kinda like.

Now, that doesn't justify him not carrying the pads, he shouldve just done it to show a little humility and get it over with. Then, beat Roy for the job. But by not picking up the pads, he brought this on himself. But I think the TO cancer thing is not gonna happen, in fact, I think his work ethic/i wanna play and win attitude is gonna be good for the team.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

He doesn't support hazing but is fine with Favre not showing up for training camp when he first joined the team? How does that prevent alienation?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dez says he was unaware of the tradition of carrying veteran's shoulder pads.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5413827

15. Major

Major Member

http://www.kens5.com/community/blog...Phillips-meeting-with-reporters-99298044.html

Rookies carrying veterans’ shoulder pads after practice in training camp is a long-standing ritual that dates back years. I guess you can call it hazing, but it’s more a tradition than anything else.

To wit: There’s a big difference between carrying a veteran’s shoulder pads and being subjected to a fraternity-like initiation that often goes too far.

Phillips made it clear he doesn’t like any of it and has a policy against hazing.

“We don’t haze,” Phillips said. “That’s it. I didn’t like it when I was in college. I thought it was wrong. We treat our team like men. Now, there are certain traditions that go on, and I understand that, and I told our football team that.”

Phillips said he’s OK with rookies singing for veterans, another long-standing tradition at training camp, or getting their hair cut short. But only if they want to participate in such rituals.

Phillips has a simple litmus test for determining what’s acceptable.

“Any time you make someone uncomfortable, then that’s not right,” Phillips said.

Phillips mentioned a 1998 incident in the New Orleans Saints’ training camp as an example of how hazing can turn ugly. Defensive lineman Jeff Danish sued the Saints, six players and an assistant coach after he was beat up in a hazing ritual.

Danish sustained injuries on his arms that required 13 stitches and another rookie, Cam Cleeland, suffered an eye injury when he was hit with a bag of coins.

While this is an extreme example of hazing gone mad, it makes one wonder how many other such incidents in NFL training camps have gone unreported through the years.

Phillips dismissed the notion that hazing serves a purpose because it helps with team-building.

“No, I don’t think it has anything to do with that because I don’t believe in it in the first place,” he said. “I don’t believe that you need to initiate anybody.”

16. Major

Major Member

I have no idea - you'd have to ask him. All I know is he's stated there is no hazing of any sort of Vikings rookies because he doesn't believe it helps his team.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

lol, Bryant didnt know of the tradition? How clueless do you have to be? I knew about it when I was in 6th grade playing with beanie babies.

I'd think that anyone that has played football as much as him would know that. Im glad Rodney Harrison snapped him out of his diva mode for a moment.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

He knew of it, I guarantee it. He just didn't want to do it.

This is just what he said after talking with Jerry Jones. It's another act in the circus that is the Cowboys.

19. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

The people who are already calling Dez a "diva" based on this small, insignificant deal are just reading off only this one headline-this one MINOR incident. But that's your guys' opinions , and probably coming off as a result of personal bias against the Cowboys (fyi I"m not a Dallas Cowboys fan and I used to "hate" them a bit before Dez was drafted) so I won't try to change your minds too much.

Yes, he is still immature and not very smart and tactful when it comes to dealing with the media and handling real life situations; I have said that many times before.

But he has never been a diva like the national, outsiders seem to think. Everyone who knows Dez and all of his coaches have all admitted that Dez definitely has own personality "quarks," but he has always been about football and winning once he steps onto the field. For those Texas fans who don't remember, after we lost to you guys two years ago in a close game, Dez remained there minutes after the whistle sounded , and just sat there crying. That passion is very similar Kobe's drive to win, so it may come off as a bit annoying at times, but Dez is also much more immature and has nowhere near the life experiences.

And there is a definite something going between Roy and Dez right now, and Roy is the one pushing it and playing the mind games with Dez. I think Dez knows what "hazing" is, but he probably understand the meaning and tradition behind it like most people would. Like I said, he is still very naive and views a lot of things in black and white .
    Or the other possibility is that he DID answer that question seriously and later retracted saying that he and Roy was joking-after Roy said that he was going to go to "phase 2." RW was the one who instigated this and told some reporters about it . How else do you think the media knew to ask that question.

So you doubters/haters can have your opinion, but I know that the coaches and players have all spoken very positively of Dez and supported him behind this too. I bet my ass that they know what's truly going on and I know some people who do too.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Glad to hear that Wade Phillips is a sensible fellow.