1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy Williams tells Dez Bryant to carry his pads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by EffTheJazz!!!, Jul 25, 2010.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The same purpose when someone hits a kid. :p I kid, sorry man.

Hazing is just a way to say respect the game and the tradition that was there that made it possible for you to be put in that higher stage that you've been wanting and working at for a long time.

You're not symbolically carrying the individual's shoulder pads, you're carrying the game and the players before you shoulder pads.

That said, I'd have a tough time carrying a d-bag player's pads that I didn't care much for. I'd ask to carry someone else's pads.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

A friend of mine who endured hazing while joining a fraternity said it helps bring you and your brothers together, especially those who undergo the hazing at the same time as you.

3. Major

Major Member

And as it turns out, many teams and coaches expressly forbid this type of stuff.

Childress of Minnesota:

"You better be inclusive," Childress told his players. "You better pull people into the pile, because if that guy can help you win and you're a seven-year player and you think that doing something to him or making him get up and sing or alienating him is going to help you, no, it's not."

Bill Walsh:

"Paul felt that once a player became a member of his team that he should have every opportunity to concentrate on making the team and being a part of it, rather than having to be obligated to go through any kind of hazing ceremony. Some people are embarrassed and humiliated to have to get up and sing. They shouldn't have to, in my mind. It's just not part of playing football."

Obviously, both of those are more embarrassing types of things, but there is plenty of precedent for not participating. Walsh didn't even allow players to be forced to use a different dressing room:

Cornerback Vestee Jackson, who spent five seasons with the Bears, said that in Chicago rookies had to dress in the basement, apart from the main locker room.

Such discrimination was not tolerated by Walsh. As an assistant in San Diego, he observed cruel treatment of rookies and was repelled by it. Coincidentally -- or perhaps not -- those Chargers were losers.

``The hazing factor can be fun. But my experience is that if there are 50 veteran players on a roster, typically two or three are going to be vicious people,`` Walsh said. ``I just didn`t want to put an athlete through that kind of situation. There are scars left there, I`ve seen it. So we just didn`t have any hazing.``

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1991-08-19/news/9101310934_1_hazing-shula-cliff-odom/4

4. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I think there will be other veterans on the team who will have a problem with Dez's behavior. Veterans don't take well to rookies who come in thinking that they know everything and are better than than the rest of the team. Dez may be a 1st-rounder and more talented than 50 of the other 52 guys on the roster (including Roy Williams), but he still is part of a team and needs those guys to support him if he is gonna do anything substantial in this league. As much as Roy Williams has been disappointing in his time with the Cowboys, he's still a veteran at Dez's position, and carrying a vet's pads is a tradition that goes back a long way. It seems like a stretch to even call this "hazing" compared to what used to happen in the old days. Dez is talented, but he hasn't done anything in the NFL yet. After getting suspended for most of last year and dropping in the draft, he needs to put his ego aside and start finding ways to become part of the team instead of above the team.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What a jackass!

I mean, I can't believe this guy. The arrogance, the selfishness, the pettiness.

The guy is talented, but he should be run out of town!

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

It is not about carrying someone's pads. It is about building camaraderie and bonding with your teammates. I think by refusing, you are saying you are better than everyone else on the team.

I am sure Andre Johnson carried Cory Bradford's pads without being a jerk about it.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

its called humans are weird. and they do stupid s hit and think it has some higher purpose. it doesnt bother me to do some of those things to someone new, but lets not play around and try and put some type of deeper meaning to it.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The only guy who can get away with this is Miles Austin.

9. Gooshie

Gooshie Member

There are plenty of ways to respect your profession and teammates without allowing yourself to be ordered around like someone's servant.

You know, he could practice hard, encourage his teammates, give 100% effort on the field, listen to his teammates, sacrifice for team play....

Those seem a hell of a lot more respectful and helpful to the team than being a bitter, washed up player's b**** because of stupid traditions.

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Exactly... these types of rituals are symbolic in terms of all those things... 100% effort, listening to his teammates, sacrificing for team.

He doesn't have to do it. It's his choice. If he does all those things you mention, he may succeed, but he'll never know if he missed something by having a bug up his arse too far to realize that if all it takes to gain some trust from others that have something to teach him is carrying someone's pads then he probably should just do it.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Interesting. Drama in Dallas? How odd.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's the thing...

there's some things worth fighting for/against. if they tell you to sit at the back of the bus because of your skin color...yeah, it's worth fighting that.

but when you're a rookie living the dream of being paid to play a sport...and they ask you to participate in the "time-honored tradition" of "rookies carry vets' pads and sing stupid songs at karaoke"..you do it with a smile and laugh about it...and be willing to laugh at yourself. because it's not worth fighting over, unless you have a ridiculous ego. this isn't a lifetime of misery headed his way. it's for a few weeks at training camp.

on the other hand...if the guy refuses it, you can scoff at him...but don't call him out like this. let it go. unless of course you, too, have a ridiculous ego.

13. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

After this upcoming year...Roy will be carrying Dez's pads.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Should 'hazing' of veterans be off limits as well?

15. Major

Major Member

I imagine those coaches (Holmgren and Zorn are others) ban all types of hazing. But does veteran hazing happen?

16. bobrek

It happens on a Brad Childress coached Vikings' team:

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/56735627.html?ic=20
    A popular topic inside the locker room was the rocking chair positioned in front of Brett Favre's locker. Apparently, someone put the chair there a week ago, but one veteran said it's a mystery who pulled the prank.

"It was placed there by an unknown player," tight end Visanthe Shiancoe. "I guess somebody was trying to mess with him. A little initiation"

Offensive or defensive player?

"I’m assuming it was an offensive player," Shiancoe said. "I think I have an idea of who it was. I can’t tell you who it is. It’s somebody that he really gets on a lot. Mystery. It wasn’t me. I may laugh and joke a lot but I leave Brett alone because he throws me the ball."

Said defensive end Jared Allen: "It wasn't me. I plead the fifth. I know who did it but I'm not telling."

Asked if that is the end of the Favre hazing, Shiancoe said more could come.

"We need to get that orange-pinkish hat that he has," he said. "You know which one I’m talking about? Every time you see him he has on that hat. We have to get that hat and put it on ebay. Or I’ll just come out wearing it one day and see what he says. ‘How did you get my hat, Shank?’ But I’ve got a big head. I don’t think it would fit."

17. Major

Major Member

Interesting - it would be interesting to see Childress' perspective on that. His anti-hazing stance comes from the idea that it alienates players, and I'm guessing he doesn't really think it would alienate Favre (especially since Favre wasn't actually involved), but I dunno.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

yeah, it seems like they're playing with the term hazing pretty loosely.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. bobrek

I can understand cutting down on the physical hazings (taping to goal posts) or personal hazings (taking cash or credit cards and buying things), but it seems like things like carrying pads or singing school songs are harmless and breaks up the monotony of training camp.

Since the Favre thing went on for a week+, you would think Childress was aware of it but it would be very interesting to hear his rationalization as to why it is bad for a rookie but O.K. for a veteran.