1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy Williams: Safety

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Major, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Major

Major Member

Well, this would certainly be interesting...

http://msn.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/feldman_bruce/1493237.html

<I>
    <B>Williams returns to Texas, but wants expanded role
    </B>

So now that Texas star Roy Williams had his press conference and reiterated that he's staying for his senior year, the big wideout wouldn't mind pulling a "Gamble."

"I'd like to play defense," he told ESPN The Magazine Wednesday. "I think I could stay back and read the quarterback's eyes. I did fairly well at it in high school. And (playing safety) is something I'd love to try."

In fact, the last game Williams played safety was at Texas powerhouse Permian High and he picked off three passes to close out his prep career.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pounder says he's never had a conversation about it with UT coach Mack Brown, but might so he can give it a try during spring ball.

Williams, who was hearing rumors about how the Cowboys would love to take him with the 5th pick, conceded he'd given leaving early some consideration but felt he simply wanted to stay at UT one more season. "I guess I shocked some people," he said. Most observers had been championing high-profile underclassmen and players touted as early-round picks to jump to the NFL after seeing Willis McGahee's gruesome knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl, but Williams wasn't swayed.

"Injuries are part of football," he said. "I mean I really hurt for Willis McGahee. He had 11 minutes left to play and it was just a freak thing. But that's football."

Williams says he does have an insurance policy.

</I>

2. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

This is like Clarett wanting to play LB next year. There's no way Tressel will go for that though, and as bad as Mack is, I doubt he throws Roy out there on defense either. Although, I'm sure he'd probably be damn good at it if he gets a shot.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Kendal Briles, Michael Huff, and Cedric Griffin will be at safety next year. Also, maybe some of the freshmen will get a chance as nickel and dime package DBs. Roy should stick to being a receiver.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think either Griffin or Huff will beat out McCullough at CB. Also, Aaron Ross is supposed to be on the team.

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I heard Dakarai Pearson has only 1 year of eligibility left. McCullough might be the fastest guy on the team. Huff is a poor tackler, and Griffin overpursues. I say it's EMac and Vasher at the corners, with Briles at FS and Huff at SS.

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

He must have Chris Gamble envy

:)

7. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Maybe his insurance policy goes up in value if he plays both side of the ball as that would make him more valuable. j/k

What a crock, I do not think Mack would be that dumb, and I think that Roy is (or should be) a little smarter than that. He had nagging injuries throughout a good portion of this year, why would he be so dumb?

8. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

He wants to play safety? Who does he think he is Roy Williams?