1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy Williams being shopped. Should Texans be interested?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Feb 26, 2009.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

he cant cover the WR, if the WR gets deep, he is always beat, he cant cover long passes.
    All he knows to do is big hits and injuring players (see the "Roy williams" horsecollar tackle rule)

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

All safeties have to cover. SS or FS, it doesn't matter. The reason they're typically safeties is because they don't cover quite as well as CB's. That said, I'd have more confidence in Travis Johnson covering a RB or TE than I would Williams. He absolutely cannot perform one of the essential skills his position requires. It's not just single coverage either. He's completely incompetent when it comes to help coverage as well. The cover corner might as well be on his own.

My other complaint about him is the fact that even though the NFL created the Roy Williams rule (horse collar tackles), he's just dumb enough to continue doing it...costing his team 15 yards every time. He can't even grasp a rule that was created because of him?

Not no, but HELL NO.

3. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

I would rather have Matt Stevens back.

4. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I might take a chance on him if he came on the cheap - very, very cheap. I wouldn't look at him if it hurt our ability to fill other needs, tho. His tendency to get flagged for those damned horsecollar tackles, as leroy420 pointed out, is, is a huge concern. He's too big of a penalty risk.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

LOL I wouldnt go that far. May have been the worst starting safety in NFL history

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Whoa, son. Stop smoking the crackpipe and step away from the bad weed.

7. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Funny how his jersey was never available unless custom ordered. :confused: At the time it would of been a great joke to give someone for their birthday. It's kinda like seeing someone still wearing a David Carr jersey they got at WalMart. :(

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Roy Williams first two years in the league were awesome, but it's been all downhill from there.

And for those wanting to sign him because of those intimidating highlight reel tackles ... he doesn't really do those anymore. If he did, the cowboys wouldn't be looking to get rid of him.

As for the horsecollar issue ... it's partly because he takes horrible angles when he chasing down someone(kind of like his coverage skills). I don't know whether it's because he's actually avoiding contact or he really is just that clueless wrt where he's supposed to be.

Anyway, I personally think he still has the physical tools to be great, but that means squat if they can't get his head and heart into it.

9. redgoose

I'd take him if the Cowboys threw someone else we could use or a nice draft pick because of his salary. It's not like he'd be a downgrade to our secondary. As long as he played his natural position.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Matt Stevens is paralyzed now...

Anyways, I still think Stevens was better in coverage than Roy...but his tackling ability, yikes...probably the worst the league has ever seen.

11. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

The first 2-3 years of Roy Williams' career were very encouraging. When there was nothing else for Cowboys fans to look forward to, he would at least make the game interesting by blowing someone up behind the line or trying to decapitate a tight end going over the middle. Sure, his coverage skills were questionable, but they could often be excused by youth and how terrible the rest of our secondary was.

After this honeymoon period everything went down hill. He no longer made big hits or helped much in the run game. It just seemed like he didn't care anymore. He blamed the system, the coaches, teammates blah blah blah the fact is he no longer made plays. He got his contract because he was popular with the fans, was still the best safety we had and .... who knows why else it was a r****ded contract from the moment it was signed.

You have to also look at it from Roy Williams' point of view. His confidence already in tatters, he signed a fat deal giving him a huge bonus and made him one of the highest payed safeties in the NFL. Dude knows at the rate he's going he will be in a wheel chair when he is 45.... so why should he sacrifice his body anymore if he's already paid?

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I'd take him. But not for what some idiot owner out there is probably going to pay him...

14. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Now will see what anyone is willing to pay him.

15. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Really? I haven't heard that he's paralyzed...

I think he was the first whipping boy for fans in Texan History

16. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Williams flourished under a 4-3 defense..but when the Cowgirls changed their defensive scheme..he couldn't adjust.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

4 real...no roy, no t.o. Romo better step up...

Should the Texans bring him in...absolutely...Roy can't cover like he use to, but is still an upgrade IMHO...

19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Exactly what I was saying on TexansTalk. Yeah, he isnt spectacular, but he beats what we have currently.

20. redgoose

Isn't he pretty good at stopping the run? Something we we're horrible at last year. If you combine that with the quality of our secondary i'd definantly bring him in if he renogiated his contract to his actual value.