1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roy Hibbert's statement about the Houston Rockets (UPDATE: Rockets deny this)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

What do you mean? We got hibbert in that trade with Memphis.

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I think you are confusing him with somebody else

Transactions
    June 26, 2008: Drafted by the Toronto Raptors in the 1st round (17th pick) of the 2008 NBA Draft.

July 9, 2008: Traded by the Toronto Raptors with Maceo Baston, T.J. Ford and Rasho Nesterovic to the Indiana Pacers for Nathan Jawai and Jermaine O'Neal.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Did Clutch go to the Rockets for a reply or did the Rockets come to Clutch(the media)?

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all what's wrong with playing in the D league? Secondly we had Yao Ming and Dikembe Mutombo on the roster. Maybe Hibbert should think about who would be playing in front of him before he makes these types of tweets.

5. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Its all Moot. Because it all depends in the context. What if he asked the organization first? How soon can I expect to play? What will happen to me since Yao and Deke are on the team?

The Rockets give him an answer.

6. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

I don't understand what anyone is up in arms about. On either side. Hibbert wasn't bashing the Rockets, to help pare it down for the barely literate, he basically said that something Houston told him during the draft preparation motivated him to become a better player. I don't see one bit of stated malice in his tweet or even a negative implication....

And if the Rockets told him that back then, who cares, maybe they wanted to see his initial reaction, wanted to get a read on him. You know, get a feel for the drive behind a guy you are about to invest a few million in....shocking idea, I know. Regardless, maybe a player doesn't want to hear that but they have no say in that at the end of the day, if the Rockets truly intended to do that, it was smart to tell him up front to get a read on his thoughts....then you can make a decision to not draft him at all because it doesn't seem like it will work out, or you draft him because his reaction made you think he can handle that....

Some of you guys are truly dumb, zero ability to rationalize and thought deeper than a spoon. I want you to know that.

1 person likes this.
  7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Throw Dleague at him and how does he respond....

A) "I'm happy to do whatever I can to take my game to the next level..."

B) Insulted and exude a feeling of entitlement.

If it's B, that's not somebody you trade up to get...

#67 kjayp, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

...+1

9. Burko

Burko Member

Obviously thought he was better than the D League, and his first 2 years he wasn't exactly tearing it up... so the Rockets were pretty much spot on.

Better being honest up front.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Is the dleague really that good for development? Jlin goes there has triple double, Twill goes there gets triple double, marcus morris goes there and is like the best scorer there. It is like making a guy on varsity play for the JV team. Of course he is going to dominate, but does it make him better by playing against people not on his skill level.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thats not what the Rockets use it for. Its a way for a player who wouldnt be getting playing time in their rotation to stay in shape, and work on a few aspects of their game. Its used as a simulation for the real thing. Not to be an indicator of success in the NBA. They have been pretty clear about that when they discuss their relationship with RGV.

Ex: Hasheem Thabeet- Last year, when they sent Hasheem down, I remember watching a few games where it was obvious that the coach was almost forced to put him in the game and run plays through him. It was very obvious that they were given word to work on this, or that with Hasheem in a real game situation. It actually might have cost RGV a win too in one game I watched just to get Hasheem touches.

With Morris what Gerrson Rosas explained is they wanted to put him out of wings in the D-League to simulate defensive rotations. Its just a way to make sure he's going to be comfortable on defense knowing where to go and what to do. On offense, obviously its like playing against your little brother in the driveway.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hibbert is what Thabeet could become.

DD

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In our DREAMs, or for another team in a few stops and years down the road.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hibbert played way too soft at Georgetown. I could see why they'd say that.

15. Juck_The_Fazz

Juck_The_Fazz Member

Huck The Fibbert:mad::mad:

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I hope that you have finally given up on that Thabust. He is hopeless, DD. Good cheerleader though, laughing all the way to the bank.

17. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

http://deadspin.com/5873507/roy-hibbert-is-tired-of-people-asking-if-hes-hasheem-thabeet

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I don't think Hibbert is lying about this. I would suspect someone (maybe a scout) told him that just speaking off the cuff.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Now Rockets calling an NBA star a liar. Great.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

what are they thinking. Now all NBA stars will think our management will call them a liar, too.