1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rox Help Land Artest Contract

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pippendagimp, Oct 31, 2002.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Well, sort of......Looks like he got the same sort of deal as Cato, 42M over 6yrs. Little bit pricey for a 6' 6" guy who can't make freethrows, but maybe I'm wrong.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/1031/1453880.html

Thursday, October 31

Bender, Artest agree to extensions with Indiana

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers signed guard Ron Artest and forward Jonathan Bender to contract extensions on Thursday, just beating an NBA deadline.

A league source told ESPN.com's Chad Ford that Artest's deal is worth $42 million over six years. Artest can opt out of the contract after year five.

According to Artest's agent Mark Bartelstein, Artest wanted to get something locked up now, so that he could focus for the season.

"I never been around anyone who loves more basketball than he does," Bartlestein told ESPN.com. "I think it would have been a real distraction if we didn't get this done."

Terms of the Bender's agreement were not disclosed.

Without the extensions, which needed to be signed by Thursday evening to meet the league's deadline, Artest and Bender would have become restricted free agents after this season. Had offers come in from other teams, the Pacers would have retained a right of first refusal.

Artest was acquired in a trade last year with Chicago and was the 16th overall pick in the 1999 draft. Bender was drafted No. 5 overall by Toronto the same year and was traded to Indiana for Antonio Davis.

Both players said that ongoing contract discussions were not a distraction.

"The contract isn't a big issue,'' Artest said. "I'm here for this year. My main focus is a championship.''

Artest, 22, said he wasn't concerned about the monetary value of his contract.

"I'd play basketball for free,'' he said.

Bender, 21, laughed when he was told of Artest's comment.

"I've got to live on something,'' Bender said. "This is where I want to be.''

The signings are the latest step toward keeping the nucleus of one of the NBA's youngest teams together. Last year, the Pacers were the fifth team in NBA history to reach the playoffs with an average age of 25.

"In the case of Jonathan Bender, we have a lot of faith in the player that he will become and has started to become,'' Pacers President Donnie Walsh said. "And in the case of Ron Artest, he has the opportunity to be a truly terrific all-around player.''

Artest has career averages of 12.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.03 steals in 203 games. He scored 20 points in Indiana's season-opening win Wednesday over Houston.

Bender has averaged 5.2 points and 2.1 rebounds in 161 games. He set a career high last year by playing in 78 games.

The Pacers also signed Jeff Foster, their other fourth-year eligible player, to an extension on Tuesday.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well at least the pacers waited for a non-preseason game. of course cato grabbed 17 boards so it must've had a real preseason feel to it.

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

The Pacers are headed for luxury tax trouble with those sort of contracts. Artest makes an avg, of $7m a year, Ron Mercer about $5.5m a year, and Croshere is around $9m a year. Couple in everyone else - Jermaine O'Neal, Reggie Miller, Brad Miller - and they are looking at having to make some moves soon.

Not to mention that they need a new coach. But that's another story.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

mfclark,

The Pacers don't need a new coach. It's all about Isiah, didn't you know that? Just ask him.

I hope one game didn't decide Artest's contract for him. Small forwards and shooting guards regularly have career games against the Rockets. If you look down the list of players and their career highs/games, I'd bet the opposing team that shows up the most would be....ours truly.

That said, I wish we had Artest on the Rox.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Artest is one of the best defensive players in the league. Even if he is a barely adequate offensive swingman (a very important 1 notch better than Bruce Bowen), that makes a nice overall player. Compare his contract to Malik Rose's, it is not too bad.