1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rox and Green - Put up or shut up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 20, 2022.

1. noppeper

noppeper Member

"Really outspoken" is subjective.

As I said in my post, maybe not clearly enough, it's not about what he says in a bubble. It's about what he says, or how he acts, combined with his play on the court. So far, he speaks louder than his play. For example, when Lebron came up as a teenager, he was also cocky and had the spotlight even before he stepped up to an NBA court - but he could back it up. I have no issue with that.

I realize he is a young guy that could potentially fulfill his promise. I see improvement, and I see the physical tools that have so many very optimistic about his prospects. But the eye test and empirical evidence has shown that he is a negative on the court, even if he is turning it around lately. Combine that with his posturing, and well, you get responses such as mine.

DaDakota likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't care less about if Jalen Green is outspoken or quiet....I just wish he knew how to play basketball.

Can we stick to things that matter?

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Right - if Kobe doesn't win titles, he is still the rapist who had few friends in the NBA in his prime who no one wanted to play with because he was a selfish player with high shot volume/low efficiency and generally an unpleasant person to be around competitively. That's probably the biggest rewriting of narrative I can think of in recent history. He's considered a top 10 player of all time largely on the strength of those rings and the popularity boon one gets for doing that in the biggest basketball market in the world(sorry, New York).

Karl Malone is another - statistically, he probably should get more "top 10 of all time" love, but he doesn't because he didn't win titles....and also because he is another a-hole but that's another story.

FrontRunner likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rapist thing was unfortunate and got too much exposure.

Sure, he had problems with Vanessa at that time and probably just wanted to blow off steam. Pretty bad behavior.

And yes, Kobe still had to live with being called rapist right until his accident, rightfully so, as it was pretty serious.

He was still tainted. Ship or not.

But I doubt every star goes out and rapes someone, that was my point. There is a degree of what one can do, esp. in times of #Me2.

Even attempted aggression or sexual behavior is going to get public attention.

#184 daywalker02, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  5. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Of all the disagreeing moments I’ve had with you… I agree with you on this. He’s not talking **** to anybody or saying outlandish **** outside of the game of basketball. Maybe he needs some work with his voice and responses. But the only arguments that should be discussed are his improvements on the basketball court or lack thereof depending on what side you’re on..

All the nonsense about him posting himself with money is nonsense. The guy has 200K grill in his mouth all the time who cares.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

And Capela.

That poster doesn't know his Rockets history.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

A fool and his money are soon parted.

DD

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Who says one hobby is more important than another hobby. If you adjust Green's income to mine, that's equivalent of me buying a RTX 3080. It's a hobby of mine. Does that make me a fool?

You and I have no idea whether he is managing his money wisely outside of spending money on a grill.

alethios likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Funny, by the 2010s I don't think the rape case got enough exposure to be honest. I don't recall anyone bringing it up at any point during Kobe's farewell season and certainly not after his death(never saw the news story you linked until just now) - meanwhile Kobe's face is all over LA and he is considered a legend there while he was generally an unpleasant and selfish teammate in his prime who DID rape a person and got away with it.

The '30 for 30' that will never be made is about is about how the Lakers had to figure out how to rehab Kobe's image when Shaq demanded to be traded and how Nike (who had just signed Kobe to a massive shoe deal right before the case) planned to recover from a full blown PR nightmare while Kobe's legal team unethically 'accidentally'(but not accidentally) doxxed the victim who then received death threats prompting her to refuse to testify which was the grounds his case was dismissed on. The term "hater" or 'Laker hater' entered the cultural lexicon more popularly around that time when Nike created an ad campaign with Kobe 'addressing the haters'. Make no mistake - people calling Kobe a rapist were dismissed as 'haters' even though they were right - and that was by Nike's design because they had already made a sizable investment in Kobe that they then had to recover. Kobe is a legend now because there were shoes and jerseys with his name on it that had to be sold and powerful PR machines got on board to sell those.

...so I guess maybe Kobe is a bad example because the rape case and all the competing financial interests puts him in a different class - but I think the Karl Malone example still stands because from a metrics discussion, Karl probably should get more top 10 love but without rings, he is an also ran. Will be interesting similarly to see what happens to CP3's legacy 5-10 years post retirement if he never wins a title.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, by that time it did die down but people still knew about it, it never went away.....within the circles of activism.

I did not follow Malone that closely but basketball wise Malone could never fully escape his time with Stockton and stand alone on his feet.

glimmertwins likes this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

Hmm I wonder if Karl not getting love from the NBA world has anything to do with impregnating a teenager then ignoring the kid.

glimmertwins likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Quite judgemental. Rich people have their interests and hobbies.

What us poor people think is stupid might not b for them.

Why buy a 500,000 car when u could buy a Honda? To us its cheaper and more logical choice.

He has money, he should spend it on how he pleases. Rich folks always do outrageous stuff cause they have money.

Stupid or fool should only b applied when he ends up broke like most sport athletes who doesn't know how to save. But thats my take.

13. alethios

alethios Member

You can get a nice grill for the cost of one of those nVidia cards.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Kobe was lucky that his incident was a decade before the #metoo movement. In today's day and age he would have been cancelled and dropped by every sponsorship there is.

I remember Kobe's accusation was quite serious too, it wasn't just work place sexual harassments, it was straight up sexual assault.

glimmertwins and daywalker02 like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rich people who stay rich, don't generally buy expensive stuff, unless you are talking about UBER rich like billionaire levels, but millionaires live normal lives, just keep growing their capital.

Once you get 2 commas in your net worth, the money starts working for itself if you are smart enough to let it.

DD

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He probably never stays home long enough to enjoy teh RTX 3080.

He can take his diamond grill and show off anywhere.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No doubt, apollo.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol

19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Maybe he will succeed, but I already regret want him over Mobley. Deep down I wanted Mobley more. But somehow I convinced myself that we are better off with someone who's more flashy.

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Really? To me his defense is actually worse than I thought. I thought he would be better handling the ball. He also didn't use his speed enough. Spend too much time spotting up in the corner.