1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rowdy Game Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LUK3, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Im sure the Bucks crowd will be rowdy for their next playoff games this week.....OH Wait. Crowds......pffft.

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

We have a team this season that fans of most teams can only dream about. I'm sick of the apathy of our fans. I'm about to start pushing people off the ****ing bandwagon.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  3. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Most the real fans can't afford it unfortunately. I know I can't and even if I could it's hard to make the time. I missed today's game because of work.

4. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

While that might be true, the point is people have mentioned in the past that the reason some of these places (SA/UTAH/POR/etc) have such great turnouts is that because a particular team is the only sport in town and thus people can invest all their time/effort/money into said team. I was just saying that even multi-sport cities still fill out their houses better than we do.

Honestly the whole "only sport and thus we root" is just a cop-out.

FWIW, TC really does need to come down on some of the prices to help the situation.
    I went to a game last round:
    tickets ~$150ish
    food ~$50ish
    parking $8
    ~$208 for one person!! that's a bit much.

5. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Ticket prices for the playoffs are ridiculous! Nose bleed seats for $60 + is not worth it. I’d rather watch it on tv.

6. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

THats really just Houston for you. We are a really serious town. We all live in the burbs and we commute all the time... not much human interaction. When we get together, it’s uncomfortable being loud and stuff - especially in the lower bowl.

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I paid $40

8. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Sounds more like your describing Dallas -Ft Worth Metroplex, except they have 4 pro sports leagues (NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL), a metro area more sprawling than Greater Houston, but sells out arenas, especially during the playoffs.

I'm tired of this excuse of we all live in the suburbs. So does everyone else in every major city. Face it, the support from Houston fans is just not there for the Rockets / NBA. Just turn on local shorts radio, they talked all day about the NFL draft today and the Texans didn't even have a pick until the 3rd round on Saturday! Or complain about how the Astros are not first in AL after less than a quarter of the season has been played.

I got tickets for $40, and people still complain that tickets for playoffs are too expensive! You gotta be kidding me if you think $40 is too expensive for playoff tickets.

Reeko likes this.
  9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hope that's not the case cuz the Stros/Yankees game on Wednesday is at 7 PM, the exact same time as Game 2.

10. newAge_Rockets

I 100% agree with you! I just wanted to throw a jab at the A's haha. Prices for Houston sporting events do seem to be higher though than most other cities.

11. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

I think we all expect to be facing the Warrior in the WCF. TC should be fire then just like it was for game 7 vs the Clippers.

12. LUK3

LUK3 Member

There will never be a louder game at TC than Clippers G7.. just never... it’s still buzzing in my ear

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

the excuses are just lame at this point

TC better be rocking for the WCF and stop sounding like the worst crowd in these playoffs by far

TMac'n and LUK3 like this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

I probably should make a new thread for this but I'm sure one has been made in the past. What are some realistic ways to improve the crowd and crowd reaction?

Shut down the bars at tip-off?
    Better entertainment at time-outs?
    It seems we get more excited when Gerald Green makes a three. Is It something with the players?
    Something else?

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Where did you get the tickets for 40?

16. jbasket

jbasket Member

Rox Jazz:
    GS Pels:
    Philly Bos:

Rowdy game my bum. For starters, you can clearly see empty seats in our highlights, and you can feel the difference in excitement the gym is with the other highlights. In addition, there are without a doubt more highlight reel plays with the other teams. That is what people come to see.

Face it, we aren't as exciting of a team. Our plays are methodical, not explosive. Fair weather fans are probably lulled by Harden isos. Our most explosive player doesn't get minutes (he doesn't deserve them imo), and Capela follows. It's an easy argument that Mitchell is the most exciting player in this series.

I like winning and don't care about changing play style to cater to "fans", but don't kid yourself by thinking we don't have any attendance & support issues. It's hilariously bad.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just an Austin-based observer who can rarely make it back to Houston for a game, but it seems like much of the negative attention is deservedly focused on the club-like lower level seats. Prices and arena design encourage a tamer audience in these seats and I have no doubt that "real fans" would make these sections livelier.

When I say "arena design" I mean the lower level club system prevents people in the corners from moving into these empty seats and the prices, currently about $400 per ticket on SeatGeek for game two, discourage middle class people from sitting there. I don't care how much of a "fan" you are, if you've got a family it's going to be difficult to justify dropping $500 (after parking and drinks) for 2.5 hours of entertainment.

The center court section of the arena itself is almost impossible to access if you don't have a ticket since the Rockets have ushers blocking off the doors to these areas. One reason I think that Oakland and Salt Lake City have such good crowds is that their arenas are a lot older and fans sit on top of the action in a way that Toyota Center doesn't allow. I've been to games at Oracle and there wasn't a blocked-off entrance to the center court sections with ushers checking tickets on the concourse. The older arena designs force richer fans to rub elbows with regular fans and that encourages fun! Instead the Rockets send the richer fans into their concourse-level club where they can comfortably buy concessions at more "exclusive" stands and only rub elbows with people like themselves.

18. Barelyalive

Barelyalive Member

Was at the game on Sunday. It was loud in a few sections and the crowd was decent until the Rockets went up big. Once the Rockets we're up by 20 it calmed down.

19. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

There's also the issue of too many non native Houstonians around town.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm sure $5 beers will get get everyone in the stadium early. What a deal