1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Round 2: Rockets vs Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Apr 27, 2017.

?

Who wins the series?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2017.
  1. Rockets in 4

5.6%
  2. Rockets in 5

1.3%
  3. Rockets in 6

46.1%
  4. Rockets in 7

24.0%
  5. Spurs in 4

1.6%
  6. Spurs in 5

4.8%
  7. Spurs in 6

9.1%
  8. Spurs in 7

7.5%
  1. Reeko

Reeko Member

The Spurs just have a lot of players with a very high BBIQ. Plus they have a ton of experience and have been in every situation imaginable. They value every possession whereas the Rockets don't. They'll be locked in defensively most of the time which is something u can't really say about the Rockets although I really liked our defense for stretches against OKC.

Rockets are too prone to making a bunch of risky passes or going for the homerun play which could hurt us against a team like SA

BigMaloe and Vivi like this.
  2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Haven't heard anything. I'll trot out the Harden's Ankle thread to see what comes back.

3. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

So how do the Spurs keep stockpiling these high IQ players? On the other hand, who would we truly say on the Rockets have "low BBIQ"?

High IQ players in my opinion: Harden, Nene, Ego, Lou, Bev

Do these guys make mistakes and at times dumb ones? Sure they do, but I also see that they seem to have an effective read on the game to react accordingly and appropriately with their decision making.

BigMaloe likes this.
  4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Game one is being played on my birthday. Hey Rox. How bout a gift of whipping the Spurs?

touring_low and BigMaloe like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mike Conley was on a tear that series. 25 ppg and 7 apg on slower pace.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I'm just glad Aldridge aint the mid range shooter he used to be

we should close this one in 6

7. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Kawhi, Patty Mills and Parker (he always seems to catch fire against the Rockets) are the big covers. Not easy but certainly do able with limited "shooting ourselves in the foot".

So to recap, I really think the Rockets' biggest challenge/hurdle to overcome is themselves (not joking).

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Pretty much this lol

9. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Nah bro, this series is going 7 games. Spurs too disciplined to let it slip. it'll be a really tight series. Spurs advantage is their well tuned system and disciplined play. Rockets advantage is our scoring power.

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lma, lee, dedmon, pau will feast.

We need gordon and lou to curbstomp patty mills, jonathan simmons, and danny green

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree 100%, one of the main reason the Spurs are so good is cause they're a very opportunistic team and they're mentally strong, if you make mistakes they'll make you pay 90% of times...and unfortunately the Rockets are pretty good in making dumb plays, especially when the game is on the line.

Reeko likes this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They couldn't schedule a game Saturday or Sunday? At least it isn't in Houston Monday night crowd might not be good.

Rockets are a bad matchup for the spurs. I see it going to 6. Even if Harden is neutralized we still have too much fire power. I think Nene, Lou, and EG will light them up.

13. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

That would be good since it's in SA

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

the schedule for each round are already predetermined. It has nothing to do with how a series plays out

15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Treat Lee like kanter, because well, he's worse or at best on par with defending the PnR. He won't be able to stay in the game to burn us making him a net negative.

Pau and aldridge are both still serviceable and smart but not quick enough anymore to keep up with Harden/capela. I think whatever damage they can do on offense gets outmatched or at worse matched against our PnR.

Dedmon is the best defender. But has no offense so I would again say advantage rockets.

Green/mills is who I worry about because they always shoot high 3pt% against us. Need to really focus on them defensively.

Not worried about Parker and ginobody.

Kawhi and harden. It comes down to how well Ariza can defend Kawhi vs how well harden can do against green(and later Kawhi).

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Their FO just has a knack for identifying these types of players that can think the game at a very high level.

I don't think any of our rotation guys have a tremendously low BBIQ (there's no JR Smith here), but there's just a big gap between us and the Spurs in regards to overall IQ as a team and experience. We have some smart players, but when the pressure rises, the Spurs will have a big advantage.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My head says Spurs in 7

My heart says Rockets in 6

"Listen to your heart....when he's calling for youuuuuu!"

Daddy Long Legs and touring_low like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Parker wants to drive there.... we gotta put a stop sign there.

[​IMG]

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. Wylo

Wylo Member

I've actually thought about this issue, and it's not just intelligence but personality and temperament.

Most of Spurs' players are mild-mannered, hard-working, well-disciplined, good solider kind of players. From David Robinson to Tim Duncan to Kawhi, you can see the specific taste in players of the Spurs' management staff. If a player has too much ego or just likes to act like an alpha-male, that player will not fit in with the Spurs' system no matter how talented he is.

I think this is the key difference between the Spurs and other organizations : They specifically go after players who are predisposed to playing a team ball, practice hard, and will respect and follow orders from Coach Pop. Not every player has this kind of mentality.