1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Round 1: Denver Nuggets vs San Antonio Spurs thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AstroRocket, Apr 22, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm trying man, its like the X-FILES. I have CONVINCING EVIDENCE that the TEAM was made of special players. Lets not forgot Otis Thrope helped the Pistons make the playoffs that one year (with Grant Hill and Wallace).

Also, Rudy T. Team USA can't beat Greece with scrubs like VSPAN on it, but remember this??

Tomjanovich is no stranger to USA Basketball nor senior level FIBA competitions. He served as head coach of the 1998 USA World Championship Team that originally was to be a team comprising NBA players. But when labor problems prevented the use of NBA players, the USA team ended up comprising American players who had played professionally overseas, in the CBA or in college. Despite formulating the team just weeks in advance of the Worlds, Tomjanovich led the U.S. to surprising 7-2 finish and the bronze medal, defeating host Greece 84-61 in the bronze medal contest.

[​IMG]

maybe the coach had something to do with it.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Certainly. The karma extends to everyone. I don't think this means we expected them to win a championship every year, but it is uncanny how many of the players from that team found themselves in winning situations. I mean, you expect people like Barkley and Magic Johnson to land gigs with TNT, but Kenny Smith? How many non-superstar players have had such high-profile announcing positions? I can't think of any, to be quite honest.

And also, didn't Hakeem have like a free camp last year where he was teaching the likes of Luol Deng? Look at how well he's done in the playoffs this year. I'm sure Maxwell helped some teams make the playoffs after he left the Rockets- just don't know the exact teams. You know, if you look at even the great Bulls teams, who still plays in the NBA, even though their reign was after the Rockets (talking about the 1996-1998 run). Kukoc? And how clutch has he been? Exactly. Where's Buechler? Longley? Harper? Rodman? Simpkins? All out. Maybe you could say Kerr is still in the "scene," and Jordan, but that's about it.

I think there is a "Clutch Zone" somewhere out there that makes this happen.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Max was a major influence for a young rookie on the Sixers named Allen Iverson. You can see abit of Max in him :)

I believed Max's clutch shooting (the original clutch shooter on the Rockets) brushed off on Cassell, Horry, and Elie. So happens to be his best friends on the Rockets. Even when Max was doing time in the pen. I'm sure he influenced people in the pen to become great citizens and heroes when they get out.

Max is like the pope.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

guess who's #2 in most all time playoffs games?
    guess who's #2 in most 3 pointers in playoff history?
    guess who's #2 in most 3 pointers in NBA finals history?
    guess who's #1 in most championships amongst active players?

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Do you have the numbers on this?

(Want to know how many he needs to pass Miller)

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Horry's 214 postseason games rank only behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's 237.

he can catch Kareem in most playoff games.

Actually, Horry is #1 in NBA finals 3pointers more than Mike Jordan. I got that stat wrong.

Reggie Miller has 320 3 pointers.Horry has 248 3s

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Dang. He's got no chance at Miller. I would be really cool if he passes Kareem though. :cool:

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I can't believe that was 9 years ago.

9. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

The Spurs have.

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Nuggets missed their chance to pull out a win. They played good all game but couldnt overcome the Spurs savvy and experience.

Nuggets really need to get some good 3 point shooters and some bench in the coming season. A team with 5 starters wont get it done.

11. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I am so sick of Robert Horry in that dumbass Spurs uniform. He is responsible for 2 Spers rings I believe, one as a Laker when he missed shot after shot and the other when they were going to go down 3-2 in the finals to Detroit only Sheed leaves him open for a 3 to win by 1. Please, either find a respectable team to do your five minutes of heroism thing or retire already. But Horry does get paid awfully well to sit on his butt all season only to come in the last minutes of playoff games and play with icewater in his veins. On the other hand, how stupid are these guys to leave him, of all people, open?

Finally, JR Smith and Kleiza suck in all ways, and Blake sucks in many.

The team that beats the Spurs is going to need solid 4th and 5th options. Suns, Mavs, Pistons, maybe.

I think if we played them Head/Rafer/Chuck/Howard would just kill us--basically only Tmac, Yao and Battier can hang at all. Same problems we have versus Utah X 3.

I can't see Denver winning 3 strait, but Denver needs to sack up and at least salvage game 5. Losing 4 strait after stealling home court is flat embassing.

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

well I believe this is not the first time that this has happened to them

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Thank Les. We could have signed him. He mentioned he wanted to play with Houston. Les doesn't like the heroes of ClutchCity. Look he ran EVERYONE OUT.

No Rudy T
    No Calvin
    No Turbo
    etc

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

In some fairness that team was overmatched talentwise. This Denver team had the talent to take the series if they played with purpose.

This team has a more developed Anthony + AI, and Nene is stepping up too. Their role players (except) are just sucking like ours have for the most part. I think Denver's composure and focus is killing them (outside of Melo, AI & Nene). Even Camby at times just looks sleepy/uninvoved--horrible alley-oop TO in the 3rd, and leaving Horry, not jumping for the rebound and letting Duncan get an easy follow on his miss with less than 2 minutes.

16. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Purpose? Not really. Intelligence and mental toughness in my opinion. The team is folding easily.

BTW, George Karl has officially started his meltdown. He benched JR Smith for tomorrow's game saying "he's done" and that JR disrespected "the integrity of basketball". Naturally, he told the media this before he told JR. And I'm officially off the George Karl bandwagon.

17. demon77

demon77 Member

Watching the game with TVant on Vipertv plus(TNT english feed) at 691kb/s! :cool:

This address:

tvants://www.tvants.com/tvants/?k=6b060500a57f686c19fbeb9c0f13bebc

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Le$'s replacements are even more questionable.

Rudy T (Rockets legend) with JVG (Leg grabber legend)
    Calvin (weird but funny d00d) with (Drexler the Echo machine)
    Turbo (one of the most athletic Rockets ever) with Clutch the Bear("I ate downtown")

Le$ had a chance to get Horry back, like you said. But he is happy to pay Howard more for less. This move does not make sense business or performance wise.

#178 Zboy, May 2, 2007
    Last edited: May 2, 2007
  19. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

steve blake on fire, oh my! Now, u need to pay him mid-level exception this summer.

20. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Steve Blake - Maryland Terrapin in the heezy!! :eek:

he's just priced himself out of Rocket spending levels.