1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rotoworld] Aaron Schobel wants to finish career with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by countingcrow, Aug 2, 2010.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but barwin was/is a one dimensional type player. he was primarily used as a pass rusher. True, is athleticism could be used in differnt ways but thus far he's been a one dimensional player.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He's also a lot cheaper than Schobel and will be around for more than a year. He has potential to be a long-term starter.

I'd also be willing to bet he at least plays on a couple of special teams units (punt, fg block maybe) ... and typically veteran players aren't as willing to do that. Not that it's completely under their control, but you want a guy who actually WANTS to help the team no matter where he plays.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Hopefully the only thing keeping Schobel from signing with the Texans is a little money, and the Texans pony up. IMO there is no reason to not make a strong push for him right now. We need the playmaking ability and depth on the D line.

As far as what Ryans is saying, of course he'll want his guys in there. The guys lower on the depth chart have been working hard and that's just Ryans being a team guy. That being said, I'm sure he'd be fine with Schobel if the Texans signed him. He wants to win and signing Schobel is a win move.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He still can be - just pay Schobel in a freaking uncapped year for a one season deal to step in. It's ridiculous if they don't. This isn't a team hurting for revenue, and making the playoffs for the first time in their existence will pay for Schobel ten times over in increased fan revenue.

Give the fans something to cling to. For once. Make a push and win, if only for one year. Give us a taste.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im definitely on the side that wants to get Schobel in a Texans uni...

BUT, I have to say that Antonio Smith is playing at a very high level. He ended last season on that note and his play has continued to be superb. I think we can definitely win whether or not Schobel is signed. However, you can never have enough depth...what would we do if Mario or Smith get injured? Gotta plan for that.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I would want Schobel to come in and backup Mario and Smith for sure. We have plenty of room for another guy with Barwin out.

Also, now that the Texans look like a good team, shouldn't that motivate Schobel?

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

So in agreement with this...

We also may need to make a move to keep up with the joneses. For what it's worth, Peter King (who will not be mistaken for Nostradamus), believe Fat Albert will be a Titan before week 6.

It was against the lowly Raiders, but Tennessee's defensive line looked excellent yesterday.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Uncle Bob, are you paying attention?

Get er done!

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Would FA Derrick Burgess be a possibility? The Pats had him positioned as a DE but cut him recently.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

ND Kalu mentioned him on the radio yesterday. I think he coulde be a reliable rotation player, but Schobel would be my first choice,

11. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I don't know if any of you listen to 1560, but LZ was talking about Schobel this morning and really made it sound like there was "no way" he comes back. To paraphrase, he basically said that Schobel just didn't want to play football anymore...and that playing in Buffalo really soured him on the fans. He also made a compelling argument that if Schobel did sign, he'd need at least 3 weeks just to get into football shape.

I hate to be a pessimist about this (mainly because I really wanted it to work out as well) but I just don't think he's coming back...for ANY team...no matter the price.

12. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think the Schobel thing is done and we just need to move on but this possiblity intrigues me. The guy was a suprise cut from the Pats squad and probably would come VERY cheap. I say it is worth a shot and worst case he's done and is cut at a very minimal expense. Smith/Kubes have had success with Foster/Pollard/Wilson/Demps in the past so why not go to the street FAgent route again.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I can understand but still this an all in year, sign him and get his ready to play after the break. In the Not For Long league you have to strike while the iron is hot.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Doesnt matter what we want...Schobel has mentioned that he just wants to be able to eat whatever he wants and not worry about his weight. If the guy doesnt want to play football, he's not going to.

And the last thing this team needs is a player that isnt passionate about the game. If he wants to be on the field, the Texans should sign him...otherwise, next.

15. RedRaiderRocket

According to Adam Schefter's tweet.

Adewale Ogunleye and Bobby McCray are working out with the Texans tomorrow.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I completely forgot Adewale Ogunleye was a free agent, I think he would be a nice signing

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't mean to downplay the loss of Barwin - he's a really good kid and a good player. But if there's one role you can somewhat fill with a street FA, it's a situational pass rusher. Guys like Little and Ogunleye - they're available because they're no longer two-way players. They have the name of a true starting DE and they want the money/recognition of one, but they no longer warrant more than situational use. So their long-standing teams usually don't want the hassle, and turn to younger players who are cheaper and offer the "potential" to also play the run.

But after the season starts, and their egos (and cash/PT expectations) are properly humbled, they're more willing to play a limited role. The Patriots have routinely found defensive contributors this way, and I think the Texans can too. Little and Ogunleye each had 6.5 sacks in 13 and 14 games, respectively, last season - that's very solid production for a part-time role. Schobel, it goes without saying. Hopefully one of these guys shows something at their workout and gets in here.

18. psingh34

psingh34 Member

people are just assuming that schobel even wants to play .. i may be in the minority but I think he is playing games with the texans.. even in his announcement to stay retired he hinted at maybe somethings could have been done to get him to play ..

I think he really doesnt want to play .. but after what happened with farve, where him saying he is retiring increased his salary .. im thinking he is saying well if they just pay me crazy crazy money ill come play .. and i dont think 2 million is crazy crazy money .. he holds all the cards
    connor is out

fans are basically ready blame everything that will happpen wrong this season on him not signing

no salary cap

i dont think he is going to be signed.. and even if he is .. someone pointed out, who knows how good he will be given he missed all of preseason... i doubt he is somoene like revis who can just come in (esp at his age) and dominate

19. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think he's coming back unless he's offered crazy money. Perhaps the Texans will explore a trade?

20. psingh34

psingh34 Member

why is this an all in year??? ill tell you who this is an all in year for, vikings.. bc who knows if farve comes back again and they have no one behind him...

we have one of the best talents ages 25 and under.. we have perhaps the youngest secondary in the country .. our superstars are no where near the end of their prime with most just starting their prime....

i think its the fans who are saying this is a all in year .. yah it will be great if we make the playoffs .. but its not like if we dont we are going to take a huge step back next year ...

to use the iron is hot analogy, i think the iron is heating up for us .. it is in no way hot..we have just ONE winning season, and ZERO playoff appearance, the iron is in no way hot