1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roth predicts Van Halen reunion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Faos, May 26, 2006.

1. Faos

Faos Member

Of course he does, he needs a job. That's said, I'd love to see them back together again.

Billboard article link

Roth Predicts Van Halen Comeback

David Lee Roth
    May 25, 2006, 3:00 PM ET
    Gary Graff, Detroit

Now out of one job, on the radio, David Lee Roth is seeking gainful employment in another capacity -- as lead singer of Van Halen. Again.

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," says Roth, who was deposed by CBS Radio in late April as one of Howard Stern's replacements. "There's contact between the two camps, and they have legitimate management; Irv Azoff is part of their loop now.

"To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

Despite that claim, Roth -- who was Van Halen's singer from 1974-1985 -- acknowledges that he hasn't seen Edward Van Halen "in a couple of years." The last time Roth recorded with Van Halen was for the group's "Best Of Van Halen Volume 1" album in 1996, though there have been periodic rumors ever since.

Roth isn't sitting around while he waits for the call, however. He joins the John Jorgensen bluegrass band for two songs -- "Jump" and "Jamie's Cryin' " -- on "Strummin' With the Devil: The Southern Side of Van Halen," a bluegrass-styled tribute to Van Halen. Roth calls it "a detour" as well as "an interesting return...Before there was rock 'n' roll, there was me and a single guitar, flat pickin' Doc Watson (songs)." Roth plans to make a number of TV appearances on behalf of the album, which comes out June 6.

Roth is also planning to tour later this summer to play Van Halen hits -- "I'm so proud of that music," he says -- favorites from his solo album and covers. He says he'll leave the banjos and fiddles at home, though.

"I like to bring out the brass section now and the keyboard players and the singers and so forth," Roth explains. "It's probably a little closer to the Rolling Stones' revue than to the early three-piece power trio. But the demand is amazing; I guess I'm lucky enough to be one of those guys now who can point at the map and say 'Let's go here' -- or, rather, my favorite expression, which is 'Let's follow the sun.'"

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

LOL, rocket surgery? :D

From what I understand, Eddie is the problem not DLR. DLR, Alex, and Michael want to do it, but Eddie is really struggling with his drinking problem. Van Halen may never play again.

Personally, I LOVED the DLR version of Van Halen. They were never the same when he left. I would freak out if they got back together.

3. Buck Turgidson

Amen.

As to the reunion...what could possibly go wrong?

4. oomp

oomp Member

I did too. Van Halen I has been on repeat in my truck for the last two weeks.

5. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Eddie and David are both a couple pricks. One a drunk, and the other just wakes up a prick every morning. That being said, I'd pay top dollar for good seats and I'd fly to another city to see them again. They put out great music. I really like Sammy, and I like the music he put together with Van Halen............but it was NOTHING like the original. That music defined an era. Maybe it wasn't much of an era, but the original band was definitive.

6. No Worries

No Worries Member

I think the Sammy + Dave tour was the closest we will see to a reunion. The net opinion is Sammy + Dave was a a better show than the last Van Hagar tour.

7. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

A VH reunion tour would be HUGE and I would go.

But I also heard the Eddie is so messed he can't play worth a crap anymore.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Member

Please make this happen, someone. Eddie, STFU and let Dave be Dave. I would pay big bucks to see them concert. I told my kids with my birthday coming up and fathers day next, to start getting me a Van Halen cd for each day, I am going to stop at 1984.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I heard that DLR was on his radio show pushing for a reunion at the Superbowl this year. That would be one AMAZING halftime show!

10. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

I predict that when I get home tonight, Scarlett Johanson, Salma Hayek and Zhang Ziyi will be there, fighting over who gets me first.

I think my prediction is about as likely to come to pass as Dave's. Although I hope both come true.

11. swilkins

swilkins Member

"To me, it's not rocket surgery. It's very simple to put together. And as far as hurt feelings and water under the dam, like what's-her-name says to what's-her-name at the end of the movie 'Chicago' -- 'So what? It's showbiz!' So I definitely see it happening."

Rocket surgery? Water under the dam? what's her name to what's her name?

Was he high at the time?

I did prefer DLR over Sammy.

12. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Did anyone else see those recent pics of Eddie that were posted on the net a couple of weeks back? Dude looked as if he has an appointment with the reaper in the very near future.

Edit: Found it.

[​IMG]

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

The only thing that would make VH interesting again is the DLR/EVH reunion. Dave's voice is made for Eddie's guitar playing...much moreso than Sammy's.

But, I think this band is so old and washed up at this point that I don't think a DLR/EVH could re-ignite any passion for VH's music. I would have liked to have seen it 10 years ago. It might be interesting, though, at least for the initial tour. If they could re-capture their roots with a new studio album, then they would be in better position to make a comeback.

People have been clamoring for so long for the original band to get back together that I think everyone has pretty much given up.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Yeah, I heard he was TANKED out of his mind at that award show. The picture pretty much confirms that. Too bad.

Eddie and Alex's Dad was an alcoholic. Alex used to be but was able to quit drinking completely. Someone needs to step in and help Eddie.

15. Austin70

Austin70 Member

Damn Eddie, he makes Keith Richards look young.

16. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

That was my first thought too. I was thinking, damn when did he pass Keith Richards on the dead pool charts.

Van Halen is dead. Nothing but a fond memory of the days when you had to go to Circle K to play a video game.

17. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

The dude did have cancer and he beat it! So he did have an appointment with the reaper and just put on hold till later!!

A DLR reunion would be outstanding!

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

I love Van Halen, but I gave up all hope of a reunion years ago.

:(

19. swilkins

swilkins Member

When I first saw the picture, I thought that DLR died his hair.

20. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Member

If only it were that easy.

The only person that can help Eddie, is Eddie.

I wonder if Wolfgang can play like his father?