1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rosenthal: Phillies have asked about Pence

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., May 21, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

'Full Count' video from Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com & MLBTradeRumors.com

[rquoter]Three different scouts have told Rosenthal that the Phillies have asked the Astros about Hunter Pence. A deal seems unlikely for a number of reasons -- Pence's salary (he's owed roughly $5MM more this season), the Phillies' reluctance to move top prospects in a deal, and the fact that Jim Crane wouldn't want to begin his ownership of the Astros by dealing their best player.[/rquoter]

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

While I personally think Hunter Pence is pretty overrated, I wouldn’t do the deal unless they are willing to do a straight Domonic Brown for Pence swap which I doubt they would do.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's sad that Hunter Pence is our best player. I'd deal him in heartbeat. Hopefully Crane understands the way to sustained success is through the farm system.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

Pence is an barely above average player at best. I'd be listening to all offers.

5. lean

lean Member

Pence is top 5 in the league in RBIs right now, maybe not as overrated as you all are thinking? Or just having a good stretch early in the year?

6. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

I'd listen to all offers, but would wait a little longer.
    Barely above average? C'mon. I'll admit up to this point Pence might be viewed as an enigma with unfulfilled potential due to the lofty expectations. Hunter's a gate attraction who appears be on his way to becoming the player we hoped he would turn into. Pence could conceivably hit around .300 with 25-28 HR, 40-45 2b and 120 RBI this year. Of course we're rebuilding, but it's not quite time to sell on him IMO. I'm looking for HP to go on a tear over the second half and remain convinced his power numbers will increase over the next couple of years.
    Taking him out of MMP might also cause an increase in his jack total.
    As far as I'm concerned the Phillies can forget about Pence for anything but top prospects.

#6 Plowman, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  7. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

i hope the yanks inquire about myers or wandy so we can take montero off their hands. we need a catcher that can actually hit.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

who will they put on the giant posters on MMP?

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

That's exactly what Hunter is, good but just above average. We tend to hype him up in our minds because he's the best we have. Yet the stats tell us a) he probably won't get significantly better and b) he's never been a 'great' player.

BA: .287 lifetime average, well above the average .270 mark but nothin great

OBP: .336 lifetime, I believe this is at or below the average major league OBP

OPS: .792 this year, .818 lifetime. Significantly better than the average major league starter .750 mark but no where close to the elite .900 mark. Again he's good but not great.

As reference, even with Brett Wallace's cold streak lately his OPS is .830. His numbers suggest he too won't be elite but he'll be much closer to it than Hunter.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I was very disappointed in what we got on the oswalt deal. We didn't even get Wallace in that deal, and while Wallace is a good hitter I don't think he produces enough to be a ML 1b. And yet we had to make a second deal to get that to happen. Plus we paid most of oswalts salary. If that is the case might as well keep pence.

11. Major

Major Member

What makes you say this? His numbers this year and the last 3 years have been basically the same. He hasn't gotten better and he hasn't gotten worse. His best year was actually probably his rookie year. He's just kind of there with above average, but not outstanding numbers as an outfielder.

12. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

Among qualified 1B he's basically right in the middle in OPS. I think that's the best indicator of a power position like 1B. His isolated power is below average but his BA and on base is above average for the position.

I think he'll end up just below .900 OPS at his peak. Again John Olerud is a great point of reference for a light hitting 1B who made up for it with high BA's and high OBP's.

I agree that it's messed up we're paying Roy's salary this year. If that deal is an indicator of what Ed Wade could get for Pence, then no thanks. I'd say nothing short of Jon Singleton from the Phillies should get them Pence. He's the prospect I wanted for Oswalt.

1 person likes this.
  13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

His ops is ok, but his power leaves a lot to desired. His BB/K ratio is terrible. We have been spoiled with Bagwell and Berkman and their 900 - 1000ops. If he was playing outfield or up the middle his numbers would be acceptable.

14. University Blue

I guess Philadelphia sees Houston as a good trade partner.

15. rockets934life

I would advise you to lookup Jeff Bagwell's first two seasons and even his third. Wallace was put in a tough spot last year and this season is REALLY his rookie year. Not going to judge him for some time, at least give him a shot to fail because upto right now...he hasn't.

On Pence, his problem is that he is the best guy on a crappy team. He should be a #5 or #6 hitter on a contender with a strong lineup. He reminds me a ton of Kevin Martin, the guy produces consistently but has a lot of flaws in his game which keeps him from being an elite guy. Kevin on a contender with other stars around him would be fantastic, Hunter is the same way. Pence is going to drive in 100rbis with 25 bombs...Jason Werth put up similar numbers with a bit better OPS and turned it into a VERY nice contract.

16. rockets934life

Perfectly said...they got away with it in the Oswalt deal but Pence will cost them Singleton and one of their younger arms. Otherwise, we keep Pence and move him later on.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Of course! With Ed Wade at the helm, Houston does seem like a good trade partner from an opposing team perspective.

Oh Philly, you want Pence? Just give us a few A guys, and oh yeah, we'll even pay Pence's salary for you!

Agree with what A L and xcr said regarding Oswalt/Phillies.

18. The Real Shady

We should trade away both Pence and Wandy for prospects. We're not close and we still need to get younger.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:

[rquoter]5. Jim Crane, owner, Astros — He paid Drayton McLane $680 million for the team, and when he gets approved by the other owners, we’ll see what type of owner he’ll be. There are a few players who should draw interest if the Astros become sellers. One is Brett Myers, who seems to have Yankees written all over him. Right fielder Hunter Pence and center fielder Michael Bourn will be attractive to teams in need of outfielders. The initial feeling is that Crane will spend to rebuild the Astros in the offseason, but he may sell off before that.[/rquoter]

20. The Real Shady

If they want to pay $10 million for a pitcher with an ERA in the 5's then I'm all for that too.