1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rosenfels CAN play!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bobblehead, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Here is a reminder of how good Sage Rosenfels can be and why the Texans picked him up. He is a very very capable backup if not a starter if given a chance. I always like to remember a certain Packer Studd named Brent Farve that was a scrub backup for the Falcons until he was released and was given a chance is a good system in Green Bay.

Dolphins nip Bills with improbable comeback
    Dec. 4, 2005
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

MIAMI -- Even in the late-afternoon shadows covering the end zone, Chris Chambers was easy to spot, leaping to make the reception that capped the best day of his NFL career and the Miami Dolphins' biggest comeback victory since 1974.

Chambers caught a lobbed 4-yard pass from Sage Rosenfels on fourth down with 6 seconds left, the last of three touchdowns Miami scored in the final 11:35 Sunday to beat the Buffalo Bills 24-23.

With the game up for grabs, Chambers curled into the end zone and outmaneuvered cornerback Jabari Greer for his 15th reception of the game.

"It was a jump-ball situation," Chambers said. "You have to go up and get it."

Lee Evans caught three touchdown passes to put the Bills ahead 21-0 less than 13 minutes into the game, and they led 23-3 in the final period.

"You can't play like the game was over, but maybe we played like the game was over," coach Mike Mularkey said. "We didn't finish the job."

Struggling Miami quarterback Gus Frerotte was forced to the bench with a concussion in the third quarter, and Rosenfels directed fourth-quarter touchdown drives of 70, 49 and 73 yards. He finished 22-for-37 for 272 yards and two touchdowns.

"We really like for everyone to get their money's worth," coach Nick Saban joked. "You talk about playing 60 minutes, and it's a cliche, but this was an example of that today."

Alas, only 25,000 fans remained from the announced crowd of 72,051 when the Dolphins began their final march with 1:51 left trailing 23-17.

A catch by Chambers gave Miami a first down at the 1 with 50 seconds to go, but two incomplete passes, a penalty and a scramble by Rosenfels made it fourth down with the clock running and less than 30 seconds left.

"I took a quick, deep breath and said, 'Relax,'" Rosenfels said. "The clock was running. We figured whatever coverage they were in, the best play was to throw it up for Chris."

The taller Chambers won a duel for the ball even though Greer was flagged for interference. Saban hollered and punched the air while teammates mobbed Chambers, who set Miami records for catches and yards receiving with 238. Both totals were the highest in the NFL since 2002.

The victory gave the Dolphins (5-7) back-to-back victories for the first time this season, and they beat a division rival for the first time in four tries to remain in playoff contention in the woeful AFC East. First-place New England (7-5) also won Sunday.

The stunned Bills (4-8) were all but eliminated from the postseason race. They fell to 0-6 on the road, and the latest loss hurt the worst.

"I've seen it happen many times on TV, but to have it happen to you really smacks you in the face," quarterback J.P. Losman said. "Nobody will know how this feels unless they've been in the locker room. I can't really describe it, because I'm no Shakespeare."

Losman hit Evans for touchdown passes of 46, 56 and 4 yards but missed chances to close out the victory, losing a fumble on a sack and throwing an interception to end scoring threats. The Bills failed to score on their final 10 possessions.

The Dolphins looked inept for much of the game themselves, dropping at least eight passes -- including three by Chambers - and committing six false starts.

But Rosenfels gave Miami an immediate spark, coming on after Frerotte was hurt when sacked by London Fletcher for a safety early in the third quarter.

Ricky Williams' 5-yard run made the score 23-10, and after the Dolphins forced a punt, they quickly struck again on the first touchdown reception of rookie running Ronnie Brown's career. He caught a swing pass from Rosenfels, hurdled a defender and dove across the pylon for a 23-yard score, making it 23-17 with 7:35 to go.

Miami reached midfield with 3 minutes left, but defensive end Aaron Schobel leaped to intercept Rosenfels. Another punt gave the Dolphins one last chance -- and that was all they needed.

"Right now," Fletcher said, "I'm thinking, 'How did we lose this game?'"

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

lol. seriously?

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

lawlpzourd OMFG SAGE ROZINFELZ FOR KING OF URTH

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Sage advice: Rosenfels will be the starter by game 9.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

because carr will be injured from being sacked 10 times a game.

6. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

I really like Sage Rosenfels. He shows the poise and composure that we do not see in David Carr. Rosenfels has the 2nd team O-line blocking for him and he is making beautiful passes to the 2nd team receivers. I hope Kubiak lets Rosenfels start a game in the preseason, just to see what he does with the first team.

#6 Jackfruit, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He's also going against the second team defensive line and the second team defensive backs. It's a lot easier to have poise when you don't have legit defensive linemen coming after you.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would wet myself with laughter if Sage becomes the starter.

Go Sage.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

logically, don't you think that if our first team offensive line is making 1st team defensive linemen look so bad, wouldn't our second team line make other second team linemen look bad. this is too weeks in a row. also, in the last game of last season, tony banks had time to throw. the line problems aren't all on the line.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

There's a much smaller gap between the Texans' first and second team offensive lines than there is between most teams' first and second team defensive lines. When your starters are as bad as those on the Texans are, that's the logical result.

Banks didn't have more time the last game of last season. He was under fire just as much as Carr. The ifference was that he forced throws down the field, and he got picked off twice (and nearly a third) in half-a-game doing that. He did get more yards, but he also got more turnovers. Yes, it's possible for Carr to throw down the field more... but if he doesn't have time to read the defense (no one does) it's going to lead to additional turnovers. Pick your poison.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The Texans have only allowed 1 sack in 2 preseason games this year.

12. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

As the announcers said last night one guy got paid 8 mil and the other is getting 2 mil.

The one making 8 mil will not be on the bench even if Sage is out playing him. Then again Bledsoe lost his starting job to an unproven young QB by the name of Brady.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, Bledsoe was out for nearly that entire season. Brady got them where they were that year. That's the mistake I think the Bears made last year with Orton and Grossman. Orton won 10 games and should have started that playoff game.

Rosenfels has looked very good. No one can doubt that. Is he better than Carr? I don't think so. While Rosenfels hasn't played in this particular system before, he has not had to deal with a coaching staff the likes of Capers and crew. Carr is behind because of this. I think he's got all the talent in the world. We just have to be a little patient while he rids himself of the memories of the past 4 seasons. Once everything that Capers, Pendry, and Palmer "taught" Carr is erased, he should be fine. It might be a slow start to the season, but I still look for him to have a big year...especially if the running game continues to dominate.

Sage is here for a reason. He might be one of the better backups in the league and I feel confident that should he be needed, he will do well. That said, this team will go as far as David Carr will take them.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

normally i would agree. but if you've followed the broncos even a little bit, you know this isn't the way they go about things. if those thoughts have been shipped here, then who knows???

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Favre wasn't released from the Falcons; he was traded to the Packers. I don't remember the details... I think Ron Wolf was the guy who drafted him for the Falcons and was also the Packer GM who acquired him.

16. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Maybe so....but don't ya think the Falcons are kicking themselves?

I'm not saying Sage is "The Answer!"
    But...the guy seems pretty poised and relaxed in the pocket.
    Then again... It might take Carr a while to feel comfotable considering he's been on his back more than Paris Hilton.

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

As a Dolphin fan I can tell you Sage is a good back up, but he never had it with the Fish to beat the great Jay Fiedler ;)

The back up always looks good until he gets thrown into the limelight.

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Commander Cody Carlson

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Carr is certainly no Warren Moon. I think all people are saying is that they should be competing for the job. If Sage outplays Carr then he should start. Five years into the league and all we have from Carr is excuses. It's the line, it's the running backs, it's the receivers, it's the tight ends, it's the coaching... well maybe it's Carr? No more excuses please.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Giff Neilsen
    Bucky Richardson

The list goes on.