1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[rosen]illegal defense by Battier?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

It's 100% legal and just good Defense. What you can't do is wave your hand in a distracting manner though.

The reason it's legal is because a good offensive player can exploit it. If someone is always putting a hand in your face - you know they aren't going to go for the shot block so you can shot with a lot less space. And if you get that close normally you should be able to drive past them.

Anyway, Kobe should be good enough that a hand in the face shouldn't bother him.

2. durvasa

durvasa Member

That's just stupid. How often do you hear that you're suppose put a hand in the shooter's face. Battier has been doing that for years, and all this time it's illegal?

I don't know what Rosen was thinking writing that, but it certainly hurts his credibility as an expert on the NBA game. He's probably just repeating something his idol Phil Jackson said.

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Member

Rosen? Credibility? Huh? Does not compute, does not compute......

4. onethreeeleven

Charlie Rosen = Pen name of Kobe Bryant.

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

my Dad said it was illegal, but you know, the Dad is always wrong!

6. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

7. bucket

bucket Member

8. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Member

only worthy of a technical if the opposing player does not have the ball...

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

I thought it was illegal because of the college rule myself.
    I can see it being against the rules one day, like how they took away the arm barring as a defensive tactic. If a star player like Kobe gets fingers lodged in his eye while doing it they'll especially look at it closer...]

...but today oooooooh well :D

10. heypartner

heypartner Member

this country really does disrespect the NBA vs the NFL. face gaurding? That's NFL. lol

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

ehh, it can be ruled as taunting in certain cases. But I agree, its never really called.

12. MystikArkitect

You know what...I don't have the sarcasm this late in the day to come up with a witty response so this is it: Rosen you suck, shut up. Face guarding? Are you serious? This isn't a little league girl's basketball summer camp you cupcake this is the NB freaking A. Face guarding illegal...bunch of pansies.

13. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Some one needs to call him out, Im interested to see how a basketball writer could get a basic defensive tool everyone has been taught since grade school and call it illegal.

14. Oops

Oops New Member

Negative.
    Here's what the rule says:
    Eye guarding (placing a hand in front of the opponent’s eyes when guarding from the rear) a player who does not have possession of the ball is illegal and an unsportsmanlike technical shall be assessed.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

to arms boys!! FIRE THE EMAIL CANNON

16. buiyahkah

buiyahkah Member

still don't see how that can be considered taunting...

"If a player blatantly taunts an opponent, a technical foul shall be assessed. The opponent WILL NOT, automatically, be assessed a technical foul. His behavior will be the determining factor."

http://http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_p.html?nav=ArticleList

17. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

thats why he is not phil jackson sitting on the bench but just another random "analysist"

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

I just think that's smart play by Battier. I mean, what would the NBA rather have? A defender putting a hand in the face of a shooter or
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QOTnU2VaS_s&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QOTnU2VaS_s&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I don't think that's a tough call at all to make

19. wink2moochie07

anyone know a link to his direct email? I Cant find it on his site.

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

[​IMG]

ILLEGAL DEFENSE!