1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rose is not a super Star. Revoke his MVP now.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by noize, May 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You see, I don't judge a player on one series like you seem to be doing. I actually watch the games during the season and the series before that where if there was no Rose Chicago wouldn't even be at the ECF...Chicago wouldn't even be in the playoffs if it were not for Rose. THAT is what makes him a MVP. Period. End of story.

You see I judge players on their entire body of work, not just one game. Not just one series.Besides WHO else was going to take those shots he did? Thats the one thing you are missing. Who else should take the shots Rose took, no one else was making anything. Perhaps blame the coach who was set on putting the games on Rose and Rose alone. He even said so himself instead of drawing a simple play to get Rose a easier shot he'd just rather Rose jack up a couple of shots against Lebron.

The words you used...ballhog, shooting wild shots...is the same mess that was said about Kobe and Jordan also. But who knows, you probably think they are both mediocre players too. Also for guys like Rose, shooting %s mean jack to how they play when they affect more than just shooting. Also the moment Derrick Rose shys away from wanting to score people will criticize that. Basketball is a team sport, Rose will play better in these situations when he has better teammates.(not that his teammates suck, but Boozer who is supposed to be their #2 failed to deliver) Just like Lebron has. Just like Kobe has. Just like Dirk has.

2. dback816

dback816 Member

Chicago would have a good shot at ECF with any high scoring ballhog.

Doesn't have to be Rose.

Wrong.

Those guys delivered their numbers even when their teammates sucked. Rose was rendered completely irrelevant, especially in late games.

3. blink

blink Contributing Member

Bulls don't make it to ecf without deng. Rose is amazing when he carries the ball to the rim (much like lebron and every other star).... but unlike lebron, he didn't step it up in clutch situations... when it mattered the most. Though, I have watched a fair share of regular season bulls game where he did come through in the clutch. He's young and he'll get there but not without a shot. The mvp belonged to lebron or deng/thibs

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah because Rose is just a high-scoring ballhog.Seriously, have you seen him plany throughout the year, he's a all-around pg. Rose does not need to score to affect the game and anyone that thinks Rose is all about scoring has not followed him as closely as they think they have.

No you are wrong.
    Lebron put up those same numbers when he 'quit' on the Cavs last year?
    Kobe put up those same numbers when he 'quit' on the Suns? You must have missed those series then.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You are right about Deng. As I said, bball is a team sport despite how superstars like Durant, Kobe, Lebron take the blame and credit for their entire team.

Thibs does not deserve the MVP if you are going by just that series. He did the same thing JVG did, depend too much on his superstar for offense and he has much to learn.

But Rose's shot has improved by leaps and bounds from last year. Besides being clutch is not being great in every clutch situation. Great players can fail in the clutch also as demonstrated by Kobe and Lebron. Especially a guy 22 years old. Also especially since he's shown clutchness throughout the season and in previous series.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem with Rose is that also he was pretty good, he didn't deserve the MVP because Dwight Howard dwarfed his production and meant more to his team than Rose did to the Bulls. Rose didn't have to score to affect the game, but his production was subpar to both DH and LBJ. He was less efficient than both DH and LBJ, and I'm pretty sure the Bulls would have a higher record without Rose than Orlando and Miami would without DH and LBJ.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Modern MVP voting has placed a great emphasis on team success. The Magic finished with the 8th best record in the league. That pretty much precluded him from serious MVP contention.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't disagree with you about Howard. But as Wekko said the MVP has always been for the elite teams and the Magic were not one of them. No doubt in my mind that he'll be getting one as he is kinda due by now.

The Magic without Howard are probably a top 10 lotto team. The Bulls without Rose are probably the EC version of the Rockets but a little worse.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok, if its about team success why did LBJ come up as a distant 3rd? 3rd best in the conference, and he produce way more than Rose did on better percentages.

Anyway I think we can all agree the MVP is based purely on hype, and as Chad Ford said, who can sell the best "story". But if everybody knows I wish they'd stop calling rose the MVP, or saying stuff like "this what MVPs" do, because MVPs in general tend to be the best player in the regular season, and Rose has been so far from that its not even funny. IMHO Rose's MVP is the league's worst MVP since AI's MVP.

10. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

What is this one series nonsense? Rose played so bad against Indiana that is was pathetic.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you trying to have a real discussion/argument with OHMSS?

lulz. Don't waste your time.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Team success is the most important criteria. Then they weigh other factors such as strength of team and injuries.

Rose led the Bulls to the best record in the league with inferior teammates....not to mention Boozer and Noah both missed extended periods of time.

Absolutely not. If you look at the circumstances surrounding prior MVP's, you'll notice a consistent trend.