1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Root Sports Houston :-)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Convictedstupid

Hughes sounds like a baller.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

More Craig Goldblatt from earlier: “We are asking for a determination that we are entitled to be repaid the balance of the ($100m) loan.

Goldblatt: "The suggestion we are trying to block the plan from going forward, that we are trying to prevent a competitor from entering the market or to obstruct the organization of the network, those allegations are just false.”

Goldblatt's comments seem to clarify Comcast's goals: full repayment of the loan, not an effort to keep CSN Houston on the air. The amount of the Comcast loan in question, to remind everyone, is $74 million.

Earlier from Rox attorney Alan Gover: “We will be taking steps as early as the 14th of Nov. to allow for full carriage the plan provides.”

#282 J.R., Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Am I missing something? I don't see discussion about the stay in there.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

The hearing has adjourned and will reconvene at 2 p.m. Thursday.

Judge Hughes said the court is “waiting for (attorneys) to check some facts before they get back to us.”

He has denied the motion for direct appeal to the 5th Circuit. “It’s my job,” he said. “I’m going to do it.”

The abrupt end to today’s session, along with his meetings behind closed doors w/attorneys, may indicate a similar approach to the appeal.

Again, to emphasize earlier points, today’s hearing doesn’t impact continuation of plans to launch Root Sports Houston. It could, however, indicate that the judge thinks he can preside over a compromise that will end the dispute short of an appeal ruling.

#284 J.R., Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Nope. Intentionally so, I believe. It seems to me that Hughes is going to try to work this out without the need to rule on a stay.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

good stuff. I think we'll be watching ROOT in about a week or so.

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm good with this, no matter who pays what or who doesn't get paid.

9. Granville

Granville Member

Exactly, let them fight it out after this channel is up and running.

10. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

This x100. Allow Houston to be rid of all this fighting, and back to watching our Rockets on TV.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Dish Network, you're on the clock. If you don't pick up this channel, I'm gone.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even if there was the remote chance that they would ever pick up the channel... my guess is it would take thousands upon thousands of subscribers canceling for that specific reason before they cave.

Their CEO's rant against sports networks was pretty telling... and as we know, the demand for Houston sports really isn't on the level of some of the other markets they're taking a stand on as well.

13. Granville

Granville Member

Agreed. Especially with the MFN deal Comcast has to abide to ****-blocking any other lower rates.

14. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you like NFL football consider being gone anyway. I didn't think I would enjoy the Direct TV NFL package near as much a I do. I put on Redzone and with their PiP system I stick the Texans on side by side. I can flip back and forth between listening to both. I love seeing updates on all the games while still seeing what is going on with the Texans.
    I had no issues with Dish other than the lip service of not carrying Root, but I am happy with the switch also. If you decide to switch and need a referral for $10 off for 10 months, email me through the board and I will send you my referral info.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

DISH is unlikely to carry this network ever. They present themselves as the value carrier that fights every network over carriage rates. They are not going to change corporate policy for ROOT Sports Houston, particularly when there isn't any overwhelming demand for the network anyway.

16. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Does this mean the appeal will be likely denied quickly? I am a little confused with who is who and what is what. What?

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yep. Combine this with the CNN fiasco that's currently ongoing, and I'm on my way to DirecTV in a week if things don't get resolved.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Email sent. :)

19. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

If anyone wants UVerse referrals let me know. You will get $25 for each qualifying service you sign up for.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Will do. Probably around Thanksgiving week when I'll be at home for them to come install.

I've heard horror stories about them jacking up their prices after the 1st year introductory offer. But I suppose that's true for anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.