1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Root Canals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by amfootball, Jan 18, 2005.

1. amfootball

amfootball Member

So I just got back from the dentist. I need at least two root canals (probably 3) and at least two crowns (probably three), plus countless other minor fillings. I'm looking at 10 (minimum) visits to the dentist in the next few months! That's what happens when you don't go to the dentist for more than 10 years! Anyhoo, I just wanted to see if anyone has had a root canal recently to find out what I can expect. The dentist told me I shouldn't be in pain and that I can be at work acting normal immediatly after. Is this true, or is she just trying to make me not fear her completely? My first root canal should take at least 90 minutes...is this normal or really long?

Thanks for your help in advance!

2. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I've had a couple. Not the big deal I had always heard it was while growing up.

I'm usually good to go shortly thereafter.

Good luck.

3. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I had my first (and hopefully last) root canal last year. The pain and recovery were minimal... and I've had crowns and fillings galore. Seven years of braces in middle school/high school did wonders for the integrity of the enamel on my teeth.

That's about right for the time... mine was a little longer though. If you've had a crown before, it's definitely more work than that. Your jaw muscles and lips will be sore from being propped open that long.

That side of my mouth was sensitive for a few days but I was eating normal foods again within 48 hours.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's gonna hurt....about 3 or 4 grand's worth.

5. amfootball

amfootball Member

I'm looking at about $4,000 out-of-pocket for all the work. Insurance only covers $1500. I shall be racking up a bunch of American Express rewards points, though. I guess it could be worse...couldn't it?

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I can't see how.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Had a couple done in the past. If the novacain is done correctly, there's no pain. They didn't cost nearly the out-of-pocket price you're talking about though, pretty sure they were close to 100% covered by my dental.

8. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Worst feeling in the world.

I had a chip tooth w/ a exposed nerve so you can imagine the pain.

9. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

You sure you don't have a nail in your skull?:)

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I've never heard Jenna Jamison complain. :)

11. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I immediately regretted posting that... but was far too lazy to edit. Oh well...

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

10 years, eh?

I went 5 years without seeing a dentist until I finally got a dental plan and found a dentist that I liked.

First thing he found was 9 cavities and that I needed all 4 wisdom teeth (they were 4 of the 9 cavities) to be taken out.

Just be thankful that you finally went to a dentist after all this time and that you don't need any other work to be done.

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Manny - did it hurt to have your wisdom teeth pulled? I have one that is partially in and my dentist wants to "cut" it out if it doesnt come all the way through the gum....eeeek :(

14. xcharged

xcharged Member

I'd give these guys a call...they ROCK!

Hardy, M King DDS
    Address: 90 Wilson Rd, Humble, TX 77338
    Phone: (281) 446-7353

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well, you have 2 options - you can get a lot of novocaine and maybe feel some pain as they are taking the tooth or teeth out or you can be completely put under anathesia (sp?). I chose the second option as I have a low pain threshhold. Unfortunately, since I chose the second option, I had to go to an oral surgeon instead of my regular dentist. If I had chose option 1, my regular dentist could have handled it for me.

See, I didn't have one that was partially in and needed to be "cut" out - mine were already there - complete. From what I have heard, it does hurt a little more if they have to be "cut" out compared to already being in there. But that is just from hearsay - but I would recommend being put under instead of just getting novocaine and being conscious as he taking them out.

The only problem I had is that you have lots of bleeding and thus you have to keep a great big wad of gauze in your mouth for a good while (like 6 to 8 hours or so). You will also be groggy and probably will feel like doing nothing but sleep (especially if you get all FOUR taken out and are put under). So, I would recommend having this done on a Friday as it took me the weekend to recover.

Also, it goes without saying that you will have to eat soft foods or liquid stuff like milkshakes for a couple of days and beware of the DRY SOCKET!! Worse pain you can ever have or so I have been told is to get one of these bastards.

What is a dry socket, you ask? It is the area that used to have the tooth and hasn't completely healed yet, thus exposing the nerve area. If you get plaque, bacteria, food, etc in that area, you will be in a world of hurt. Fortunately, I avoided the dry socket (I think after 3 days that doesn't become an issue).

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I had a root canal and crown put on last summer, it wasn't that bad at all. The only thing that really sucked is that they put one of those temporary crowns on, and I forgot and chewed gum one day (I was really drunk.) Needless to say, it ripped the crown right off and I had to go in early the next morning to get it re-attatched.

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Thanks Manny, very useful info.

18. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

WARNING: ROOT CANAL HORROR STORY:

I had a root canal while I was going to college. The dentist anesthetized the area, killed the nerve, filled the shell of a tooth and sent me on my way. Two hours later, I was in EXCRUTIATING PAIN! Went back to the dentist and he was out to lunch! After he FINALLY got back, he pulled the filling and said,"Ooops, there is some exposed live nerve there. The filling is putting directs pressure on it", finished the job, and sent me on my way. Why I didn't kick his ass, I'll never know.:mad: