1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Room for a Blazer SnT?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jul 26, 2005.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/weblogs/b...olive_blazerblog/archives/2005_07.html#070162

ESPN Insider Chad Ford wonders what all of the 'bad' teams are waiting for this summer, and he includes the Blazers in his list:
    The good news for Blazers fans is that this is one of the brightest young teams in the NBA.

The problem is the Blazers now need a few veterans who can show them how to win.

So far, the Blazers have struck out. They've made pitches for Daniels and Jasikevicius but are still looking for the leadership, toughness and experience that Nate McMillan needs to turn the Blazers into a winner.

Sounds like an SnT including DS and Wes should have a basis from which to deal.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Has anybody investigated/concluded just how Nate McMillan feels about DS? Maybe he loves the guy.....

3. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

I agree they are gonna be dealing once this CBA is signed. I am starting to think that Sura's value is probably the highest its ever been. He was on a winner this year and has that toughness and abailty to play both guard spots.

That being said What bad contract would i take from portland... seems the options are:

Derek Anderson SG 2 years 18 million
    Ruben Patterson SF 2 years 13 million
    Theo Ratliff F-C 3 years 34 million
    Darius Miles- G-F 5 years 41 million

Anderson and Patterson give us the most cap flexibliity and either would have a chance to challenge for the staring 2 spot.

Ratliff is the shot blocking presence we really need. He can play the 4 as well as the 5. Juwan howard is coming back from Injury and Mutumbo is a billion years old either are higher than average risk for missing extended time. Also after Mutumbo's retirement Yao has a good, albiet highly overpriced replacement.

Darius Miles, the most talented and not only is he on the right side of 30, but at 23 years old still has potential if not baggage. His 41 million over 5 years is alot, but not as high an average as Rafliff.

I think Ratliff is the most sure thing, you know what you are gonna get with him and he could slot if very nicely to give us a very defensive minded and strong frontcourt. He is also the most expensive by far and will tie up cap space for years to come. Patterson and Anderson are the safest pick and i can see us ending up with one of them. I can't see them trying to mold Miles.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Here is my suggestion from another thread:

Trade Howard, Weatherspoon, Vin Baker for Ratliff and Damon Stoudamire (sign-and-trade)[/b] - Ratliff's contract is ridiculous, but Howard's is a year longer and the combined contracts of Howard and Weatherspoon over the term of the contracts come out almost even to Ratliff's. Plus, we would have someone else to play backup PF/C, should Mutombo retire after this season. Stoudamire should be signed to a 3-year deal starting at about 3.5-4.5M with a fourth-year team option.

Weatherspoon: (6.35M) + Howard: (5.9M + 6.4M + 6.9M + 7.4M) = approx. $ 33M

Ratliff: 3 x 11.66 M = $ 35M

The difference being that we would still be paying Howard in 2008/2009, while Ratliff's contract ends after the 2007/2008 season. We will be over the cap for the next three years anyway. This year, we would actually pay LESS by doing this deal - we would pay 5M/4.5M more the next year and the year after that, but then 7.4M less in 2008/2009.

Over the duration of these contracts, we would only pay 2M more in total. That would be the downside.

The upside would be that this would probably be a pretty sure way to get Stoudamire, and to unload a PF with very serious health concerns who does not block shots and whose contract runs through 2008/2009 (last year being a player option, but he would be crazy not to use the option). Also, we would get someone who blocks tons of shots, in contrast to Howard, and who can play some center.

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'm not so sure I like Ratliff. It seems like Stro and Ratliff are too similiar in every way except age. In both cases, we don't get much scoring. With Deke, Ratliff and Stro, we don't have another scorer in the low post which means defenses can more easily double Yao.

I love Ratliff in general but I'm not sure he's the best answer in this case.

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

I think if we trade for Ratliff then there is no reason to bring back Deke. But Deke is better than Ratliff and much cheaper. So I don't think it is worth it.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

OK, but hey -- DS/DW ... is there an SnT somewhere in that combo?

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Maybe, but I don't think Damon's worth a contract starting at $5 mill. More like 3. I'd rather see if we couldn't just get him for the vet min.

Evan

9. thiagu88

thiagu88 Contributing Member

I think we got enough shot blocking as it is. Stro Yao and Deke i think would be plent but man if we added ratliff we would set an NBA record for fewest paint points allowed

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Jho, wesley, ward, future #1

for

DA, DS (signed to about $3.3M)

then sign spree to LLe.

yeao-deke-baker
    stro-baxter-spoon
    tmac-DA
    spree-sura-head
    DS-james-moochie

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wesley + Spoon + Future 1st for Stoudamire + Patterson would work.

Let's face it, CD has never been too high on picks and I don't think he would start now. Stoudamire would be a great PG in our system and it would allow Sura to play some SG w/ Patterson backing him or TMac up. I think this gives us the depth we need to contend.

Stoudamire-James-Head
    Sura-Barry/Patterson
    TMac-Patterson
    Swift-Howard
    Yao-Deke

12. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I can't believe anyone, after looking at his contract, is even interested in Miles. We're talking about Mo Taylor-type money for the next four years. As a role player, I don't think he'd be worth his contract even if he could be everything that Miles fans believe he could be for the Rockets.

13. shwinn23

shwinn23 Contributing Member

Are people in general amenable to the idea of trading Howard?

If he is anywhere near the man he was last year, I think we could definitely use him. His 16-18ft jumper was pretty key in keeping our offense going when tmac was on the bench and yao was drifting aimlessly in no-mans-land.

I would be hesitant to deal him for anyone who doesnt provide some type of significant offensive firepower, or at least is able to draw a defender out of the post, now that we have swift to play interior d and rebound when needed.

14. Bob

Bob Member

The only players almost everyone on cfn won't trade are Yao and T-Mac. IF the right deal came around for Howard I hope CD would consider it.

I think the question should be would any team even consider trading for Howard until he proves he has fully recovered his health.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There would be/could be interest in retaining JuHo or trading him if there was a clear path answer to his health IMO.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I can't believe CD & JVG would even consider Miles. As much as I want DS, it shouldn't take a 1st round draft choice to get him. If so, let him go to Miami.

17. Bob

Bob Member

I've generally tried to stay out of the 35 threads dedicated to getting DS. But I hope CD has doesn't make a quick decision on Damon. If he does go after him using the LLE would be okay.

If he does a sign and trade using Wesley he needs to first find a SG or two first. Currently Wesley is the only returning SG. There is no backup 2 or 3. Glover and Head could potentially fill part of that role.

I would feel a little more comfortable if CD signed someone like Damien Wilkens or Dermarr Johnson first. I would even prefer doing a SNT with Wesley to get one of those guys over getting DS.

Is Damon that much of an upgrade over James, Luther, Sura, or Wesley in comparison to how much an upgrade Damien or Dermarr would be over (blank)?