1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rookie of the year...Lamar Odom?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ace, Jan 28, 2000.

1. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

He is close to leading the Clippers in five statistical categories...I guess they like him cause he's an all-around player (don't like the kind myself [​IMG]).

------------------
    Francis+Charles+Dream-Pippen= Rockets 2000 NBA
    Champions

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Crack makes people do and say strange things.

------------------
    HOOP-T

3. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

I agree with ESPN assessment that it is Francis, Brand, and Odom, in that order. However, these guys shouldn't be seperated by that much, they all have impressive and similarly strong numbers, and Stevie must play at least equal to the other 2 the second half of the year to win it. It still is a close call yet to be decided.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I thought that the writers picked ROTY, MVP, etc., not the NBA.

5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

I don't know who picks the Rookie of the year, but that's what the guy told me. And the word of the press is about the same too, they think Odom will win I just think Steve will become a bigger and better Star than Odom or Brand or any body else.
    Vote for Rookie of the year at my site www.Junkyard-Dog.net

------------------
    -Junkyard Dog
    "Maybe we need an enema"
    - Othella Harrington

[This message has been edited by Junkyard Dog (edited January 03, 2001).]

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think what Junkyard means is that the NBA thinks Odom should/will win it. However, the NBA has no say in the actual outcome because it is the writers who do the voting.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

If the Rockets bring their record to 500 before the end of the year, there is only one choice.

MR Steve Francis

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

u know what the league in my opnion has way o verated odom. just cause he's in LA where anyone can get overated... and also cause francis didn't stay in vancuver thing kinda got the league annoyed...but who knows my opnion Francis is #1 he's got better stats... put francis in the clippers or lakers it would tripple his name just cause he is in "LA"

9. Brent Price

Brent Price Member

I think Steve is a sure win. If he doesn't win I'm gonna pack my bags and bcome a Laker fan!!! In other words please win Stevie!!!

------------------
    -Brent Price or is it Junkyard Dog. Bye the way check out www.junkyarddog.web.com

[This message has been edited by Brent Price (edited January 03, 2001).]

10. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

Tonight in the Dever broadcast of the game they commentators said that Steve is a sure win for rookie of the year! And ESPN says that Francis is #1 Rookie, and if rookie of the year is about the best rookie than Stevie is a sure win!!

------------------
    -Junkyard Dog
    "Maybe we need an enema"
    - Othella Harrington

11. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Member

Hey, JYD I'm totally For Steve Francis winning the rookie of the year. If he doesn't win I'm going to be extremly mad at the whole NBA orginization or whoever makes the dicision of rookie of the year! They might just have something against the Rockets!

------------------
    Mighty Mouse

12. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Member

Hey, JYD I'm totally For Steve Francis winning the rookie of the year. If he doesn't win I'm going to be extremly mad at the whole NBA orginization or whoever makes the dicision of rookie of the year! They might just have something against the Rockets!

------------------
    Mighty Mouse

13. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Member

[​IMG] oops sorry about posting twice. [​IMG]

------------------
    Mighty Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mighty Mouse (edited January 29, 2000).]

14. treeman

treeman Member

One factor no one's figuring in is what I call the "load-factor". Figuratively, the load one has to carry on his back...

Brand has Kukoc, and Odom has Maurice Taylor to fall back on. Stevie? This is his team, and he is carrying it. As a rookie, his first assignment has him leading a star-team in its first rebuilding year - a tall order.

Lemme put it this way: if either Odom or Brand had to lead a team with a HAKEEM-type player as the traditional leader, what do you think their seasons would have been like?

As their stats are similar, this load-factor definitely swings my favor towards Francis as ROY.

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Member

That's right, I have recieved information from the NBA and they said that Lamar Odom has more of a chance winning than Steve Francis. Can someone tell me why thins is??? I don't understand why anyone would favor Lamar Odom over Stevie! Can someone please tell me why??

------------------
    -Junkyard Dog
    "Maybe we need an enema"
    - Othella Harrington

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why don't you ask your source?

17. M-&-M

M-&-M Guest

Statistically Francis and Odom are pretty close. Odom has many more boards and blocked shots than Francis, but Francis has more assists. Scoring is about equal. Both teams have similar records, too. Francis will probably win after he puts on a dunk a thon
    at the all star game.

18. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Maybe it wouldn't be all that bad if Stevie didn't win the ROY Award... Afterall, Hakeem didn't, but Sampson did...

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL.

19. Christopher

Christopher Member

This is the biggest problem with the NBA.
    Look at this:
    Put Francis in a bulls uniform.....is there ANY question he'd win RoY then?

After the comparisons to Jordan,the highlight reals and the very solid numbers he'd have been a lock to win it.But he aint no crappy bulls player.

He's a ROCKET!
    And because he's a Rockets he has to do more to be recognised (Unfortunatly).

I still think Francis will win the RoY but you see how where he plays (From a marketable standpoint only) effects the award.

------------------
    Your Starting Power Forward for the Clutch City Allstars

My Expert Opinion Of Steve Francis:Mate he is a special player!

20. haven

haven Member

Umm... I think that right now, Steve Francis is the leading candidate... but it's only a little past mid-season. All sorts of things could happen in the next few months... don't hand the award to anyone yet [​IMG]