1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

roofing bids...one of these things is not like the other...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Apr 4, 2007.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, so I need three bids in order to get a home improvement loan for a new roof.

bid number 1: $4300, but he did that bid when we weren't home, so that includes a back porch that we don't want done.

bid number 2: $3800 without the back porch, $4200 with the back porch.

bid number 3: $8400. According to this assclown, our roof is "not meant for shingles", because it's a low sloping roof. Of course, every other house in the neighborhood has the same low slope roof. It looks like he's trying to sell us some adhesive roofing stuff. Neither of the other two roofers mentioned this. This guy is also from Houston, while the other two are from Texas City, where I live. Either this guy thinks I'm gullible, or some backwoods hick.

So, is this third guy trying to rip me off, or is there any validity to his statement?

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Living in Houston, I wouldn't trust ANY adhesive roofing stuff to last through the summer.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Dude, you TOTALLY need a Green Roof. It's rad!

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

can't tell if your making fun or not but it's actually happening a lot here in NYC.

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

By South Florida standards those are all still pretty cheap. Thanks to the onslaught of the past few hurricanes, roofers have no shortage of work until 2020. My neighbor literally waited 1.5 years to get work started on his.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's just.... odd. :eek:

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Waitaminnit. How the hell do you mow that??? :D

8. Party Pizza

Party Pizza Member

Termites will thank you. :D

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I know next to nothing about roofing, but just from the looks of it.. that third bid is wayyy to fishy. There's always some buttholes who try to bullpoop you with prices. I've had tons of experience on them with my old place!

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

In addition to that.. you can also get "living walls"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_wall

you might as well have a nice little pond inside.. environment friendly.. Al Gore approves

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't think green would go well with my current house color...

12. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Like this..... :cool:

[​IMG]

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Pool and a pond. Pond would be good for you.

[​IMG]

14. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

just what i need, more damn grass to mow ...

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Look at the bright side... you could fall down and break your neck and you wouldn't have to! :)

16. distence

distence Contributing Member

Sounds like he is trying to sell you a PVC or EPDM (made of recycled tires) roofing membrane. This is a product that has been around for 30 years and until about 10 years ago more commercial buildings are using it. That white roof on top of Toyota Center that is a PVC membrane roof. Being white the roof is highly reflective and will help keep the heat out of your home during the summer.

This type of roofing material is a good solution for people with flat or low slopping roofs. As you know with these types of roof there are flat spots where puddles sit which eventually can turn into leaks in your home. This a more practical solution and better alternative to traditional method of tar and gravel roofs (too lazy to give you pro and cons...google it). Leaks are easily fix since all they do is patch it up like a tire. Another good thing is that they usually carry a 10-20 yr warranty. If you currently have shingles right now and had no major problems I would stick with that since its probably more cost effective.

All I can say is that if you need a new roof

Llame Mr. Norman

17. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Then go blue:

[​IMG]

Advantages: Materials free from the government. One year guarantee. Easy, quick do-it-yourself installation.

Disadvantages: You have to deal with FEMA to get the materials. Should be replaced every 1-2 years. Non-biodegradable.

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Just make sure you get a WPI8; you're roofer SHOULD provide you with one, but he'll be just as happy to not do it (seeing as it costs him money). Without it, you might have trouble getting any windstorm claims honored.