1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo will be a free agent this summer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jtr, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I just would go nuts if Rockets can keep Harden, Howard, Smith, Ariza, Brewer, Motiejunas, Jones & Capela intact between 75-80 mil heading into the 119 cap hike in 2017. Just a real mastery of everything by the front office they really can flourish in just about direction they need to go, even multiple directions and have been way ahead of the curve on everything. Scouting, analytics, the draft, free agency, trades, cap flexibility and sustainability, etc

2. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Ish would be a slight upgrade over Rondo in the Rocket's system. Lots of good, sharp posts here, but even if the Rockets could somehow get Rondo for vet min. there's no way they do it unless they feel like they can trade him for value at some point. He simply does not fit in with this system since 1) he is a high usage guy and 2) he can not shoot 3's. Terry/Prigs/Bev are low usage and CAN shoot 3's. This roster is similar to the 96-97 squad that had Maloney, who was a total punt non-creator PG who could drain 3's and play mediocre D for a cheap price.

3. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Actually I take that back because Kenny OG Jet was similar to Maloney. You don't need or even want a high usage PG when you have a super high usage superstar, you just need someone to spread the floor with outside shot making prowess. Imagine if the Mavs had Jameer Nelson at PG, with Brendan Wright and Jae Crowder, this series would be much tougher for the Rockets. Well played Mark Cuban.

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Terry and Prigioni greater @ age 38/39 than Rondo ever will be for the Rox. Terry is a must resign for the Rox. How does he fit the system? He has no 3pt shot and will contribute to the overall bad free throw shooting. He's done for period.

5. torocan

torocan Member

Can't shoot, and is an egotistical head case.

If you can't get along with Carlisle, then it raises serious questions in terms of how serious Rondo is as a player when it comes to desire to win.

6. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

lol keep Rondo far from the Rockets. Far far.

isnt Sergio Llull coming over next season? I'd be fine with going with Llull, Beverley, and Prigs at the point next season

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

People said the exact same thing about Josh Smith.

8. STR8Thugg

The blowup in Dallas has been bad, but some of these comments are just ignorant beyond measure.

Rondo is the worst player in the league. Yeah, okay.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

While Rondo may not be the worst player in the NBA you cannot find anyone on the Mavs fan sites who says otherwise.

Rondo, after his ACL injury, has become a vet minimum salary type of guy. No doubt some NBA FO, most likely the incredibly stupid ones in LA and NY, will offer the guy a $5-$6M a year contract that they will soon regret.

The amazing thing is that most on this forum were ready several times to trade the family jewels for that broken down dinosaur of an NBA player. Multiple draft picks, D-Mo, Bev, and Asik ... whatever it took to get his sorry broken down ass in Houston. I just have to laugh at the ignorance of fans at times.

Then there was Cyberx, fanning the flames saying that a trade was imminent. Does anyone here believe Morey is just that plain stupid? Obviously they certainly did.

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Anyone think the Mavs would keep Rondo if Carlisle gets fired. I haven't heard that he's on the hot seat but a 7th seed and 1st round exit is enough to get you fired when expectations were a lot higher.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is obvious that Rondo is a bad NBA player. With a very very bad attitude. He just up and quit on the Mavs in this playoff series, and suddenly without Rondo the Mavs are a much much better team. Carlisle is not going anywhere. Donny Nelson however may be booted very soon. And as Carlisle so eloquently stated "Rondo will never ever see his sorry broken down spineless ass in a Mavs uniform again". [Paraphrased]

12. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n91qWYufs9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. STR8Thugg

Given the right situation and a coach he works well with... You know what nevermind. I'm just gonna stop right now.

It's clear you have an axe to grind when it comes to Rondo. Whether it's personal vendetta or otherwise, I don't know. But if you want to overreact and go on thinking he is the worst PG in the game; that he is vet minimum player who may be out of the league within the year then that is your prerogative. I've already wasted enough time with this post as it is.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have to ask whether there is a competent NBA offensive system that Rondo can play in. Let us just look at what the best offensive systems do in the NBA.

• They pass the ball often using many various players.
      They do not waste time on the offensive end.
      They do not pound the ball.
      They do not run down the shot clock intentionally.
      They all have a very dangerous point guard who can score and get to the rim.

We are talking Cleveland, Golden State, San Antonio, Atlanta, the Clippers, and even Houston if you consider Harden as the point guard.

What does Rondo do? He cannot shoot. He runs the shot clock down. He pounds the ball while the shot clock runs down. He cannot penetrate to get assists. He cannot get to the rim.

I cannot see how you can argue with that take.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I was just in a discussion with some of the best NBA analysts and Rondo does not have a team short of the Knicks and that horrible fit with the triangle offense that will sign Rondo. 50-50 he is out of the league or on a vet minimum contract next season rather than making MLE money next season. LOL. Bye bye Rondo.

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

this situation reminds me when Dallas traded a first round pick and players for Lamar Odom but he was an absolute cancer (I think he got caught smoking crack?!) and he was out of the league the next year.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

No they didn't. They said Josh Smith was a cancer and headcase, not that he didn't fit into the squad.

On the other hand, even if Rondo was the model teammate he still wouldn't fit because he likes to handle the ball and can't shoot open 3s to save his life. The ability to hit open 3s is non negotiable, if you can't hit it consistently as a pg then you don't belong on the team except as a bench player when Harden sits (ie Pablo Prigs).

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Carlisle is recognized as one of the top head coaches in the league, if your team sucks it's likely due to horrible personnel decisions than coaching since everyone agrees Carlisle is elite. It's like when the Nuggs fired their coach and suddenly the team become lottery material.

Really this failure can definitely be blamed on Cubes, because he meddled in stuff he had no idea with starting with insisting the Mavs overpay for Parsons (Nelson valued him at 12M not the max) and ending with trading their bench and a pick for a Rondo rental.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think Simmons said it well the other day. Someone will sign him but...

"...The more I look at this, the way basketball is going, where you need your guards to be slash and kick people, make threes, get to the free throw line, he can't make threes, he doesn't want to get fouled, he doesn't shoot free throws so what is he? Where does he fit in 2016? I don't know."

Russillo: He's an outdated PG with the way the position is played now and he's a jerk.

20. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

I think Rondo's options will be limited to the obvious choices Lakers or Knicks, and probably the Kings.

Two dark horse candidates could be the Bucks and Jazz. Both have iffy "point guards of the future" situations and lack enough offensive identity to maybe take a chance having Rondo lead their young squads.

Not advocating that they should, just a thought