1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo will be a free agent this summer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jtr, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Sure, Rondo was the starting PG of that title-winning team in 2007-08, but basketball fans know it was Pierce, Garnett, Allen, Rivers, and Thibs for winning that title; hell, even Eddie House, Leon Powe, James Posey, Sam Cassell, and PJ Brown would all be mentioned as being bigger playoff contributors before Rondo in delivering that championship. When that group was brought together, the question mark entering that season was about Rondo and whether or not he was a starting-caliber PG for a contender.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You do have a good point, but I did say that Brewer was a replacement level player. I have always been of the opinion that Rondo just s****.

3. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

That's exactly the point and you have mentioned in your first post of this thread : anyone here in favor of picking him up on the cheap?

It depends on how cheap.

Morey will be an idiot to claim Josh Smith when he got waived, sames as when Celtics asked to trade Rondo with his current contract.

But it doesn't mean Rondo will be just a complete disaster in here like we are seeing what happened in Dallas,

just like Josh Smith.

Maybe just like Terry or even Prig.

Those are very low expectation with very low risk signings/trades.

If the price is right, it could happen.

So reply to your post, its not mainly about Rondo the player himself, its more about the price tag.

4. Lightsnowaction

If Harden was not the leader and the defacto PG of this team, I would take Rondo. He isn't a fit with us like he would have been last year unless he can shoot 3s.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Sure Rondo has a ring and a couple of all star selections. But all of that was on the backs of a prime or near prime Garnett, Pierce and Allen. Would Houston sign Rondo for the vet minimum? After all the damage he has done to that Dallas team this season I would guess not. He would just not be worth it. He is a dinosaur of a point guard and a cancer. Some team will give him a contract this summer. It won't be Dallas though. And it will be for just a fraction of that max contract he thought himself worthy of.

6. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I wouldn't want even close to my dog, for fear that my dogs would catch fleas..

This guy is just bad news period...

T_Man

7. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Are you looking for a PG? Jerian Grant is the answer.

8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

The Rockets scored 118 points last night after missing a ton of open shots near the rim along without Harden getting real Hot. The Rockets haven't played their best game yet and that's scary. At this stage if our bench keeps playing like this and Harden gets hot we can make it to the finals period.

9. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

RIP Playoff Rajon Rondo
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ndyfsS0bFK8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Signing Rondo for a vet minimum?

There are teams lining up to do that and Rockets will be for sure be one of them.

Even as bad as the current situation for Rondo, its insane to even think his next contract will be for vet minimum.

He will still able to get a decent contract offer from some teams, probably a short contract and won't be surprised to be a one year deal, but no way he will play for a vet minimum.

Say **** happens, he sign a one year deal with 8 mil with a team and ended up like a Josh Smith situation (got waived in mid season) and at that time, the PG situation of the Rox isn't really that great, will Morey take a minimum contract (or 1-2 mils) to sign him for the rest of the year?

I can see that happen.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

It is impossible to disagree with your assessment.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Some foolish NBA franchise, a desperate desperate franchise, will make him an offer for much more than he is worth. The guy has an NBA body, an NBA skill set, and a vet minimum level of basketball intelligence. And he currently may be the worse shooting point guard in the NBA, and will certainly remain so in the future.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And those two main PG targets were: Dragic and ??? (Brandon Knight? Ty Lawson? Greivis Vasquez?)

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

I didn't realize being able to do everything well besides put the ball in the basket at a high rate meant his game was a cancer. The dude is still talented and a good basketball player. He just doesn't give a crap about playing well anymore.

If Rondo was at $2M a year, you're telling me you wouldn't take a flyer on the guy? And what are you talking about, modern NBA? I didn't realize the "modern NBA" only had one side of the ball involved.

You're completely disregarding the skills he has for the skills he does. Rondo rebounds, assists well, is still one of the best defensive PGs in the league and has overall intangibles matched by few. Just because he can't shoot worth a lick doesn't mean he's garbage.

Overall, you have a really strong opinion about Rondo. It almost sounds like you're a pissed Mavs fan who is doing the right thing by calling out your own players instead of accusing the other team for Dallas' misfortunes, like "Harden is a flopper lolol gtfo."

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

rondo seems like the type of guy to just retire at season's end

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Lol, you guys wont sign Rondo even at Vet min? He is looking to get paid MAX by the Lakers.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

He won't fit in Houston.

18. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

I would if we didn't have so many people bricking 3s already. If we re-sign J-Smoove and he doesn't improve his shooting (I love to hear he's been making a min. of 200 3s every practice) I don't want to add yet another chucker.

19. dragician

dragician Member

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Do you expect Rajon Rondo to ever wear a Mavericks uniform again? &quot;No, I don't,&quot; Rick Carlisle said.</p>&mdash; Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) <a href="https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/590993779538034688">April 22, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>