1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rondo will be a free agent this summer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jtr, Apr 22, 2015.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

anyone here in favor of picking him up on the cheap? LOL. That should make a bunch of you who supported bringing him to Houston 16 months ago hang your heads in shame. It was obvious at the time, like it still is, that Rondo got left in the dust of an ever evolving NBA game. Rondo is not relevant in the NBA now just as he was not relevant 16 months ago. The guy is a cancer and his game is a cancer. Why would anyone as knowledgeable and as intelligent as Morey ever wanted Rondo on this Rocket's team? "Insider Knowledge"? Give me a break.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't want him at all, but if Morey signs him and it works out, I will laugh at Cuban and the Mavs for the rest of my life

3. The Stig

The Stig Member

Known cancer. DO NOT WANT.

Next thing you know, he starts a fight with Harden and Dwight and they will both want out of Houston. Kind of stuff we don't need right now.

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Man, Mavs gave up a lot for a rental. If he didn't have such an attitude, I think Rondo has the skillset to be a nice piece in the right system. I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks offers him the max. They want a big name, and a two way game between Melo and Rondo (assuming their heads don't butt) is good enough to be a middling playoff team in the East.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yes if he can be had at a reasonable price. His price has probably dropped. I think he would be outstanding in our system.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Morey picked up a guy with the EXACT same description midway through this season.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

If Rondo could play under Doc Rivers and brought Celtics a ring, he could do the same at Houston. He is a bit aloof. That's all. The way Shaq is defending him is pretty telling. I actually feel pretty bad for him. What exactly did he do wrong?

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Except at $2M a year instead of $12.5M a year. And with a game that works in the modern NBA. Is there a point guard in this league who shoots worse than Rondo? MCW? Oh, wait isn't he 21 years old and on a rookie scale contract instead of $12.3M a year and almost 30? The NBA left Rondo and his game in the dust years ago. Who would you rather have next season - Capela or Rondo? That is your answer right there.

9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Rondo is a horrible fit here and is the anti Morey player. Zero chance that Morey seriously wanted him at the Rockets

Anyone who wanted Rondo here knows squat about basketball

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Rondo, if McHale actually allowed him to play, would destroy the Rockets offense. Do you realize that since the Rondo trade in December the Mav's offense has fallen from #1 in the league, scoring at a historic rate, to fifth in the league? How bad is Rondo exactly? We may never know, but he is obviously really really bad in this modern NBA.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And we finally agree. That is good to see sir.

12. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

He. Can't. Shoot.

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

The rumor that the Rockets were driving up his price for the Mavs is not the story I heard. Our interest was lukewarm.

We did try to upgrade at the PG position at the deadline and failed to get our two main PG targets.

Rondo is not the PG Morey is looking for, allegedly. I think that part is obvious, and with the money he will demand, we could find a better fit elsewhere.

Right now, I'd personally take a guy like Sessions over Rondo, even if Rondo's floor general ability is higher in comparison.

He's going to get paid, but again, the Rockets were not very interested near the deadline.

I wouldn't expect them to be this summer.

I know that PatPat isn't the answer, but he's not a slouch.

Hopefully, WHEN we win the championship ;):p, PGs galore will be knocking on Morey's door.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Rondo would fit well with this team.

It would allow Harden to get better looks.

With Nowitski's style of play, he just lets Rondo's man camp in his porch.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Man, I wish we had a real pg with legs right now. We would be eating Mavs alive instead of having to find something on the fly. Not really comfortable - not having a PG- to go all the way. Which free agency pg is going to be available this off-season? I am all for taking a little bit risk. We have a player's coach, might as well use it to our advantage, right. I see your point, but I don't think Harden likes to have ball all the time in his hands, so I think he actually may be open to Rondo manning the point.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A quote or two:

But then you look at Rondo’s three-point numbers – Rondo’s shooting 31.4 percent on threes for the entirety of the 2014-15 season, which is a career high – and it becomes a little more confusing. The Rockets, as this season showed, are at the forefront of the league’s evolution towards space, pace and three-point shooting. Houston took a total of 2680 three-pointers this season, shattering the record for most three-pointers attempted in a season. That record was previously held set by the 2012-13 New York Knicks, who attempted a total of 2371 three-pointers that season.

But it’s not entirely about Rondo not taking and making three-pointers — it’s that he doesn’t create them. For every Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving — point guards that are three-point marksman — there are point guards like John Wall and Derrick Rose who aren’t shooters but, by virtue of their penetration, are still really, really effective in creating them. Players like Wall and Rose create attempts by consistently attacking the rim and forcing the defenses to choose between giving up a clean layup or having to give up a clean three-point attempt.

Rondo certainly has the ability to create this type of action, but he doesn’t do it. In Boston, Rondo developed a deserved reputation for both pounding the ball at the top of the key and cherry picking assists inside. This means that Rondo isn’t likely to attack — he’s more likely to stand at the top of the key and let the offense unfold before making a pass — and if he does, he’s not going to shoot inside. When you become that predictable, you and your team become a lot easier for opposing teams to defend.

Rondo actually forced, forced, Carlisle into calling plays this year. After Carlisle late last season specifically stated that in live ball situations he does not call plays. Modern NBA defenses will blow up called plays. The Warriors, with their top ranked NBA defense, will blow up called plays almost 100% of the time. NBA teams just cannot play that way anymore.

Rondo is a cancer. Both on the floor and in the locker room. It would not surprise me at all if he was out of basketball in three years.

17. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Um... he requires the ball to be effective and has terrible ego. IF bev works on his handles, a tear drop shot, and perfects his 3 point shot, we will be fine. We go for a big time name who wants to come here. LMA woud be my top pick cause his ego fits here.
    Successful teams all have compatible egos... spurs, gsw, atlanta. They should create an advanced analytics test for that. YOU HEARD ME MOREY!

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Would rather have JJ Barea at 2 yrs, $3 million. Dude plays hard and can hit the open 3.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I prefer the rumor that Morey jacked up the price :)

20. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

You were spot on about Rondo....agreed there. Completely wrong on Brewer on all fronts though. Seems Morey outsmarted everyone inflating Cubans price for rondo while targeting brewer all along for good reason.