1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ronald on after Laker game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carmichael dave, Mar 12, 2009.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about that. As Kobe mentioned, I have seen Ron make Kobe look horrible on both ends of the floor. Ron has gotten the best of him quite a few times...

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Ron is a wack job......when I hear these things it makes me like some of what he says and hate other bits.

He is a hard worker and a competitor, but his personal issues cost the team shots at victories some times.

DD

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I think anyone who has the guts to talk trash to kobe deserves some props, especially if its someone who has gotten the best of him at times.

I wanted to know what he told him, and now that I know, I think it's hilarious. Yeah, sometimes he lets this stuff get in the way, but in this instance, the game was over before he started talking it... and he didn't just do it when he was up, he did it when the other guy got the best of him. I thought it showed heart and character, humor and even some humility in a strange way.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Is there a podcast? I can't find it in the link provided.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 'newer' fans of the NBA don't know what trash talking is about.
    They love the Tracy McGrady smile and buddy buddy during the game with Kobe.

If I do remember, the Rockets got blown out big time in their first meeting with the Lakers. At least Ron cares.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

found it. I'm an idiot.

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

uhh the game was close when their matchup became personal bro. then it became apparent kobe wanted to go at ron every single time.

and kobe has played long enough to have most stars get the best of him here and there. hes not god.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

lebron and wade hugged at midcourt DURING a game in their recent matchup in miami. great players recognize respect.

ron started the trash talk with kobe. hell, he yelled kobe's name several times when kobe was at the line to get his attention. that's just too much.

9. archinkent

archinkent Member

kobe is not like tmac, he doesnt find the humour in what ron said. dude actually took it to heart and played with more vengeance. not a good move ron

10. Precision340

Precision340 Member

yikes.. that don't sound like respect to me... they are really, really close i hear... too close to be hugging during a game :eek:

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we didn't lose the game because Ron Artest was trash talking with Kobe.

Some of you guys need a time machine to go back to the 90s courtside when players dropped Fbombs on each other.

12. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

As much as I hate to admit this... I think we need to use some kind of special defensive rules for Kobe, perhaps the most prolific scorer in the NBA since Jordan. The one like Jordan Rules used by the Pistons back then in the 80's. It was effective for their first 4 playoff meetings with the Bulls until Phil Jackson neutralize it with the 'triangle offense' in 1991 and swept the Pistons.

So if there's such a thing as 'Kobe Rules', how can we make it work againts Kobe, the triangle offense (considering scoring threat from other Lakers as well) and current rules of the NBA?

1. Play him tough all the time and vary the defense to throw him off balance.
    2. Deny him the ball all the time and if he gets the ball, double him up and force him to give it up.
    3. ???
    4. ???
    5. ???
    6. ???
    7. ???

13. RocketsBearFan

Hey, who cares if we get bounced in the 1st round again because our team's full of bonehead chuckers who don't know what "pass" means. As long as they're fiery and are competitors who give a good soundbite! Moral victories FTW!!

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This is exactly what I don't get. How at all does it deserve props or show heart and character?

I'm not against trash talking at all - in fact I think it's great to see and has always had a big part in the game.

But last night, A) ron let it affect his game as he tried to answer the only way he physically is capable of, which resulted in off balance 3's and oafish drives to the basket.

more importantly: B) much of it was done after the fact. again, how is this at all impressive. the guy got his ass literally handed to him and he's still yapping. are we that easily amused these days? as a normal minded human being, if you are getting completely destroyed by someone, the dignified thing to do is to shut up, put your tail between your legs, and accept you've been owned. you're only further embarrassing yourself with the rhetoric.

seriously. "you're not ready for me." why would you be impressed by that from a guy that just got taken advantage of at a felony level? i felt embarrassed if anything.

again, if ron was winning the matchup, or they were atleast even trading baskets, i couldn't care less. i'm more just amused at the notion that this all somehow proves he has heart/toughness and mainly just embarrassed overall.

15. choujie

choujie Member

I don't care about trash talk, but Artest needs to bakup his word with action. Getting one on one with Kobe and making stupid decisions after supid decisions is not what he should do.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's the problem. He tried to backup his words with action and tried to beat Kobe at his own game and got owned.

Ron's supreme confidence in himself is both his greatest strength and weakness on court. Until he completely buys into RA's system we're gonna have a lot of games like this, and with RA being the p***y coach that he is I don't see Ron having a change of heart anytime soon....

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ron did fine. No player in the game could have stopped Kobe yesterday, and the thing is, Ron really didnt do that bad guarding him. He created some turnovers and Kobe just made tough shots. Who cares. If anything, yesterday showed me how hard we will be to knockout of the playoffs this year. Ron is such a competitor and our team has followed his footsteps. If Ron or Shane hit their open threes like their accustom to, that game wouldn't have even been close, heck if we didnt turn the ball over so much we would have been just fine. I must admit I admire Ron's passion for the game.

18. Francis3mvp

Francis3mvp Member

All the people who hate on Ron's trashtalking must be teenagers and younger, cause obviously yall don't remember Vernon Maxwell going after the Great Michael Jordan, and Max would get in his head and take jordan out of his game. If Kobe would have missed some of those shots, yall would all be on Ron Rons nuts. Go watch some youtube videos of basketball in the early 90's off knicks-bulls and see how trash talking really was. Watching Ron is like watching old school basketball once again and hopes he keeps doing it.

19. max14

max14 Member

WOW I thought we are supposed to support our players.

Ron only started talking after Kobe punched him twice and the refs didn't do anything.

He did good on the defensive end too except going for that steal.

So Ron haters please shut up and go "with tails between your legs" your own style. I hope that's not what Ron and the rockets is.

20. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

we didnt lose b/c of ron's trash talking. jesus christ. u think maxwell just sat there and smiled at jordan? it's part of the game. from what i saw we were late or non-existent on help defense. it looked like unabashed arrogance by the coach to maintain single coverage on kobe and just have battier throw a hand in his face or allow ron to go one-on-one with him.