1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Paul to take $40k Presidential salary

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ToyCen428, Oct 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Source: http://blogs.cbn.com/thebrodyfile/a...lude-eliminating-cabinet-secretaries-and.aspx

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Who cares? Token crap like this doesn't solve our problems. It's just an easy way to score points with uninformed voters. Now if CEOs started offering to take 30,000 dollar salaries, I might be impressed.

But this is just silly pandering.

1 person likes this.
  3. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Well IMHO, I want someone making decisions for our country who see's and realizes how hard it is for the average Joe to make ends meet. Not saying he would be in our shoes, but he will get a "Taste" of what it's like.

Let's see if Paul gets elected, if anyone rakes up $10m + in vacations alone.

4. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Cutting a trillion from the Congressional budget and eliminating five executive agencies is pandering? :rolleyes:

5. Classic

Classic Member

Great point! :rolleyes:

Leadership starts at the top of any organization. When you tell people to stop complaining and grumbling and to march on while you're living the high life and your wife is living like she's on the house wives of Jersey, it doesn't exactly come across as genuine.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ha agreed.

Trillion wasn't written in numbers so he looked passed it.

7. geeimsobored

No taking a salary of 30000 is pandering. Cutting a trillion is his proposal and that's fine (though I disagree with it). I wasn't referring to that.

And taking a salary of 30,000 doesn't mean you empathize with anyone. You still get the white house and all of the executive privileges that come with being a president.

Politicians need to focus on policy and not on token gestures like this. I'm all for paying them well if they do something. I'll gladly support paying the president a million dollars a year if that means we get policy done. Saying you'll take a paycut to 30,000ish SHOULD NOT be a criteria for voting for someone. I want our politicians to talk about macro-economic policy and not folksy nonsense designed to grab the attention of the uninformed.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

How much is he making now and who he is getting paid by? Is it more than $40k and is it from the federal government?

Some words are just political speak.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He should relocate the White House to the ghettos of Baltimore while he's at it. If we send billionaires, monied donors and dignitaries there for their hotel stays, I think someone would notice...

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Here is why Dr. Paul's philosophy of government is wrong: eliminating the Departments of Education, Energy, Housing and Urban Development, Commerce and Interior and thinking that either the states or free markets will look after society's best interest.

Like the Cain man, simple is sometimes just...simple.

11. Hightop

Hightop Member

Yes. And how else would Obama administration be able to keep raiding medical mar1juana facilities (pointing guns at patients and citizens / seizing property) in states that voted it legal? That federal power must be maintained, it is vital. Raise my taxes.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I promise to take a $50/yr salary when I'm elected. And I have just about the same chance of getting elected as Paul. It's easy to make promises for conditions that won't happen.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you can disagree w/ him, but if you dont think paul is focused on economic policy than you are not paying attention.

and of course this is a symbolic/token gesture. nobody is claiming that its should be criteria for voting for him. but it sets a great example for other politicians to follow. symbolic gestures might not mean much on a marco-level, but like when a CEO takes a $1 salary, its shows a level commitment and gesture of good-will. its good PR, and that is never a bad thing.

you dont think the average american would appreciate our politicians following pauls example and setting their salary at the current average americans? again, its a symbolic gesture, but in an age where our wages are shrinking while they give themselves pay raises it would be positive gesture of solidarity and great PR.

#14 jo mama, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He is hell-bent on economic policy - and it happens to be about the single stupidest economic policy in the universe, based on wack-o 17th century ideas, which is why it will never happen, thank god.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you support barack obama.

17. geeimsobored

Not a fan of Obama but I'm also not a fan of economic apocalypse so I'll pass on Ron Paul. Although I do respect the guy, I just don't want him to be in a position with so much power.

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Rank and file members of Congress get paid $174,000. The party leaders in each house make $193,400 and the speaker of the house makes $223,500.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And sanity, not some moronic former doctor from Galveston with an addiction to fantasy, who thinks that if we just turn the clock back to 1893 and discard everything we know about the way the world works, everything will magically be better.

1 person likes this.
  20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The best president we've had since FDR and it's not even close.