1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Paul- Hope for the Future

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhester, Nov 12, 2008.

1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Remember him, I just wanted to share his support for the President Elect.

By Ron Paul
    Hopes for the Future link

With the election behind us, our country turns hopeful eyes to the future. I have a few hopes of my own.

I congratulate our first African-American president-elect. Martin Luther King, Jr. certainly would be proud to see this day. We are stronger for embracing diversity, and I am hopeful that we can continue working through the tensions and wrongs of the past and become a more just and colorblind society. I hope this new administration will help bring us together, and not further divide us. I have always found that freedom is the best way to break down barriers. A free society emphasizes the importance of individuals, and not because they are part of a certain group. That’s the only way equal justice can be achieved.

We will face more tough economic problems during this new administration. In fact, the worst is yet to come. A vast amount of problematic mortgages have not begun to reset their variable interest rates and go into default. We already have unprecedented deficits, spending is out of control, and more big industries are coming to government with their hands out. My hope is that this administration will handle this economic crisis better than the interventionists and big government spenders of the 1930’s, the bureaucrats that prolonged the Depression. I hope that new government programs and spiderwebs of red tape do not pop up to interfere with American productivity, and that we can quickly get our financial footing again. We have to understand that an economic correction needs to take place and the only way out of the coming recession is to go through it. Efforts to avoid it can only prolong it. I hope we can somehow find our way back to sound money and reject corporate cronyism.

We cannot address our budget problems at home without changing our disastrous foreign policy abroad. I am hopeful that the new administration can take on the mantle of peace and diplomacy in foreign policy that many Americans feel they were promised. Many other nations also have this hope, which exudes from their congratulatory sentiments offered after the election. They hope that national sovereignty will be respected. They hope that through diplomacy violence and war can be averted. I hope so too. One thing is unquestionable: our aggressive foreign policy of the past has been costly, in blood and in treasure. Our treasure is running out, and fewer volunteers are stepping up to enable that foreign policy. So for these reasons, if we are to continue to have an all-volunteer military, and see prosperity again in the future, I have every reason to hope our foreign policy will change. In order for it to remain the same, mandatory military service would have to return, as well as accelerated theft through debt and inflation to pay for it. I have a hard time imagining popular support for these policies, simply for the sake of war and conquest, when we clearly want peace.

I have many hopes for the future in this time of transition. But I have seen this country face many forks in the road, and sadly take the wrong one too many times. We have heard a lot of talk, and it remains to be seen what actions and specific policies that talk will translate into. So while I may be hopeful, I remain deeply concerned about our future.

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Thanks for the read!! Dr. Paul truly understand economics better than anyone. People call him a nut job considering his extreme views on certain things, but people should pay attention to his knowledge of economics. He loves America, and he loves peace more than traditonal repubs do.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I'd consider myself pretty liberal but man do I love me some Ron Paul.

4. MexAmercnMoose

i like ron paul too, i guess it's the common sense approach of many of his ideas/policies

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Me too. I met him once when I was working at Galveston College and he handed me an autographed copy of The Constitution. I would have voted for him over anyone else who ran.

6. LScolaDominates

For someone that can't say or write two sentences without using the word "freedom", Ron Paul is hopelessly enslaved by rigid ideology. Voting "no" on every bill is a great way to lock out, rather than promote, your own ideas from the decision-making process.

Barack Obama is everything that Ron Paul is not. He engages different viewpoints, while Paul systematically shuts them out.

7. Master Baiter

I see him being more of a man of principles. If something isn't right, he does not vote for it. There doesn't seem to be any compromise in what is right and what is wrong. I think that if there were more people like Ron Paul in our government that good things would happen.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Caveat: If more people like Ron Paul (i.e., principled) were in congress, it would only be beneficial provided they had the same principles.

Ergo, LScola's comment is spot on. Principles are great - but a democratic beauraucracy requires some amount of compromise, period. You'll note that, while Mr. Paul certainly votes "no" alot, and authors/introduces some fabulously principled legislation (not sarcasm), he has not passed anything worthy of merit or discussion.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the irony of the anti government law maker.

10. LScolaDominates

No, if there were more people like Ron Paul in our government nothing would happen. People disagree on what is right and wrong. Compromise and sacrifice for the greater good are necessary parts of legislating. Ron Paul talks a good game, but what has he ever done in Congress? What influence does he have? If you're not willing to work with others, why would anybody want to work with you?

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

if something isn't right he'll let it continue for years, ie his newsletter.

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is ridiculous to think Ron Paul has a deep knowledge of economics just because he can spout the rigid Libertarian line which can be gleaned from a short article or two.

Here is Ron Paul acting just like a politico trying to glom on to the warm fuzzies of Obama winning. Obama has about zero to do with Paul's philosophy.

13. Master Baiter

That is a good point. It just seems like there is an extraordinary amount of bull**** in our government and he seems to fight against that. Our governmen lacks the common sense that Ron Paul wants to, in my eyes, use to make our country better. I think that a lot more people could compromise on a lot more issues if common sense was used instead of greed.

14. rhadamanthus

It is ironic, for sure. Particularly when Bush is usually lamblasted for basically the same methodology. (Disclaimer - Bush's principles are far less educated, more underhanded, and often result in illegal activity. The two cannot be compared outside of the argument wrt to principles.)

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Lets start using gold and silver as tender. I mean who cares if we inflate the price of two useless commodities. What happens when we can't mine gold? Also lets get rid of medicare and medicaid because you know big corporation won't screw us. Why do we have child labor laws you know the freemarket didn't dictate that.

#15 Air Langhi, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

All I can say is I put it in D&D for the very reason of the attacks.

I am personally sure of one thing, he is honest about what he said about President elect Obama and I believe he actually wants the new president to succeed.

He votes no on any bill that is un-constitutional and any bill that is Fat Pork.

He isn't perfect but I wouldn't rail on him just because he hasn't found too much right about the way congress is driving the bus.

He wouldn't think of shoving the country into a severe depression by reverting to the gold standard, but in a long term process to restore our economic prosperity he would certainly transition some form of gold or silver to legal tender in combination with other measures to reduce the debt load.

He is not as stupid as you think.

17. LScolaDominates

rhester,

I respect your admiration for Ron Paul. You agree with many of his opinions, and you trust him--two very important qualities in an elected representative. He is your voice in Congess, but what good is a voice that doesn't reach its proper audience?

A legislator's job is to effect policy decisions. That takes leadership, and while Paul may be a leader in the eyes of his constituents, he is unable or unwilling to lead his collegues. He casts his 1 vote bill-after-bill without any regard for the other 434. Effective leaders employ compromise and consensus-building to empower their vote instead of margainalize it.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How did he vote on the Patriot Act?

DD

19. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

He voted against it....one of the few Repubs that did.

20. rhadamanthus

As painful as it is to admit it, I agree with the above statement.