1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ron Artest's New Album: My World

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pringles, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Pringles

Pringles Member

Artest hopes new rap CD softens bad-boy imageAssociated Press

ATLANTA -- Ron Artest sat backstage with his entourage, wondering if the audience would approve of his upcoming performance.

Artest

He was prepared for extra scrutiny after being tarnished by his unpredictable, out-of-control behavior over the past few years in the NBA. And he knows that many already have stereotyped him as another athlete-turned-rapper such as Allen Iverson and Kobe Bryant, who didn't excel in the music industry.

Still, Artest believes he can prove the doubters wrong.

"I've got music to be heard," he said. "Obviously, some people will judge me from my past. But I can make music. I want everyone to know about my life and relate to me, and see that I'm very approachable and easygoing."

Artest is striving to gain more respect in hip-hop and give many a better understanding of himself on his new album, "My World," which will be released Oct. 31. He raps about his personal experiences, world issues and partying in clubs, while also expressing his thoughts about participating in one of the worst brawls in U.S. sports history.

"When people actually listen to the album, they'll say to themselves, 'Wow, I didn't know that he felt this way,"' Artest said. "It's like I'm a totally different person on this album."

Character issues have hurt Artest's image around the NBA, but his bad-boy image might help in an industry that thrives on thuggish demeanor, a la 50 Cent and other roguish rappers. Growing up in a broken home and dealing drugs at a young age in New York City's Queensbridge section, a neighborhood where drugs and gun violence are common, also might help him gain acceptance in the studio.

"People don't understand that my street credibility is a whole lot bigger than most in the industry today," Artest said. "If I had more push, then everyone will see the results."

His recent tours may help. This year, he performed during the popular Hot 97 Summer Jam festival in New York, opened for rapper Fat Joe on a European tour, and was the beginning act for platinum-plus selling artists Ludacris and Young Jeezy.

"Ron's a hustling-type guy," Jeezy said. "He jumped on the road with me and went after his dreams. I've seen him go out on numerous shows and do his thing. When his album drops, I'm going to pick it up."

“ Obviously, some people will judge me from my past. But I can make music. I want everyone to know about my life and relate to me, and see that I'm very approachable and easygoing. ”
    — Ron Artest

While Artest is trying to find his way as a rapper, others have given him moral support.

"This is what he is supposed to do," said producer Rodney Jerkins. "It's all about the hustle and the grind. I don't believe in letting things drop in your lap. You've got to make it happen and artists like him need to hit it hard."

DJ Drama said the athlete-turned-rapper deserves a chance. He expects Artest to receive some negative feedback, but pointed out that Shaquille O'Neal had a short but successful tenure as an artist in spite of negative reviews. Even though Drama has never heard a single track from Artest, the disk jockey said he should still get a chance.

"If he puts his mind to it, he could do it well," Drama said. "He just has to study the game. The same way he learn how to play basketball, he can do the same way with rap. I know Ron Artest and he's a passionate dude. I know he has something to say."

Artest does have a riveting tale. In 2004, he was benched two games after asking Indiana Pacers coach Rick Carlisle for a month off to rest from a busy schedule, which included promotional appearances for his R&B group Allure, a trio signed under his label Tru Warier Records.

Two weeks later, after being benched, Artest charged into the stands toward a Detroit fan, claiming he was hit in the face with a cup of ice, and exchanged punches with other fans. He was suspended for 73 regular-season games and the playoffs.

During his time off, Artest continued to work out while promoting Allure's album. But last year, he was traded from Indiana to the Sacramento Kings, the group's album "Chapter III" was a failure and major record labels weren't showing any interest in him.

"It was tough," he said. "No one wanted to give me or my group a chance. When I wrote my rhymes, people dissed me. They still do it to me 'til this day."

Artest said his competitive nature won't let him quit -- on the court or off.

"Right now, I'm playing hard but not smart," he said. "At times, the industry hasn't embraced me for who I am in a business sense. But I'm just going to keep going. If I lose, then I lose. But I'm trying to win."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

link

2. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

shouldnt this be in the 'artists ahead of their time' thread?

3. stro4swift

stro4swift Contributing Member

this is pathetic...artest can't rap...he should stick to playin ball and not get suspended

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Probably the best rap album of the year... :rolleyes:

Now he can comfortable quit his day job. Why stick around in the NBA when you can rap..?

5. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

LOL This is Hilarious!

http://slamonline.com/online/2006/09/music-review-ron-artests-my-world/

Thursday, September 28th, 2006

Music Review: Ron Artest’s My World

in The Peoples Champ by Sam Rubenstein, NBA, Feature Too

By Sam Rubenstein

Ron Artest’s new album was delivered to the office a few days ago. Yes, it was Christmas in September. The stance that Ron takes on his musical career is that he wants you to judge him as an artist, not a basketball player that happens to rap. Of course, that is impossible. This is Ron Artest, rapping!

All these rappers want to talk tough, making up stories about crime or even telling the truth about their past every once in a while. Whatever it takes to get people to buy their music. Am I wrong?

Ron is real, perhaps the realest rapper out. His motivation for making this album is, well, you can never be sure of why he does anything. I’d prefer to let his lyrics do the talking.

The first song on the album after the opening skit is called “Haters.” Here are some quotables from that song:

“I admit I used to smoke before games.”

“Hit the liquor store at halftime.”

“David Stern! Damn, David Stern. I gotta teach you bout the ghetto there’s some things you should learn.”

“Matt Lauer, up on NBC. You look like a girl don’t talk to me.”

Three minutes into the album. This is f’ng amazing already. Nowadays I’m kind of leery of beef for the sake of beef, but Ron had some stuff to get off his chest, and he does. There’s plenty more on that song. You’ll have to buy the album to experience it yourself. Moving on.

The next song is called “Bad Karma.” Pimp game explained. Groupie stories, check. The much publicized Kirilenko free pass is nothing compared to what Ron’s got going on. This album is already more controversial than Allen “Jewelz” Iverson’s “40 bars.” The next song is called “Working the Pole.” Self-explanatory. And how did this album not make EW’s top 25 most anticipated of the year? Will the Maloof brothers play “Working the Pole” at Kings games? That should be on everybody’s questions about the upcoming NBA season that need to be answered list.

After the initial blast, “My World” turns into a feel-good party album. Then, out of nowhere there’s a skit of Ron hosting a conference at the UN, followed by a concious song called “No Good.” I don’t want to ruin it for you with a bunch of quotes. You need to listen for yourself. My initial reaction when listening to it was “I can’t believe this is happening.”

There’s a song called “Coroner”, the tribute to friends that have passed away or been murdered, and Ron expresses regret that he couldn’t do more for those friends of his to make their lives safer. “Rap Game” covers the shady industry (rap not basektball) with some Phantom of the Opera type organs, there’s some more party songs that approach being R&B, then there’s the mix tape hit from last year “Get Low” with Mike Jones and Nature.

When you get to something called “I Like My Song”, watch out. Yikes. Uh… it’s a fun song.

Now for the quotables towards the end of the album. He gets political saying “I ain’t goin’ nowhere, like blacks running for president.” That’s deep. But the gem of the album is called “Doing My Thang.” It’s inspirational. INSPIRATIONAL!!! “If you work at Mickey D’s for now, you’re doing your thing. / If you ever got suspended from the league a whole year came back puttin up numbers, you’re doin your thing, that’s me, you know I’m talkin about myself.” Oh you think that’s not an exact quote? Listen to the song.

And I guess this is the line we’ve all been waiting for from Ron. “I don’t feel insane, the world is crazy” on the song “Not Easy.”

You need to buy this album. It comes out Halloween. David Stern will try to have it pulled from the shelves before Thanksgiving (Hater). I know Ron wants to be judged as a rapper, not a rapping basketball player, but it needs to be said that this is the greatest album in the history of rapping basketball players. The beats are nothing special, but not painfully bad. I don’t want to use the gangsta scale, cause that’s Omar’s thing. If I were to grade it, I’d give it 4 out of 5. Right now my life is more enriched than yours because I have heard this album and you have not. Catch up.

6. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

lmao!