1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RON ARTEST's defense is so OVER-rated its not even funny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ambrose86, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

This wasn't even THAT bad defensive of a game. The clutch defense was brilliant.

Also, it takes effort to chase guys around when you're not that kind of player. Didn't anyone hear Reggie say it? Ron Artest is used to guarding bigger/slower guys. That's not to say he CAN'T guard Roy/Fernandez, but that's not his forte.

He spent more effort running after Roy/Fernandez than I could probably muster up in a day.

The OP has to be really frustrated to call out Ron Artest's DEFENSE. Really? Is DPOTY that worthless of an award? Newsflash - Roy is MUCH faster than Artest. It's easy to get burned by a killer crossover when the guy is much faster than you.

Don't think so? Try it...

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Right before Roy made that shot I said to my friend, "if portland wins this, it's just destined and there's nothing we can do about it". The shot sank and I looked at him and said nothing. Honestly, it was a case of letting a bad (compared to us) team stick around too long. We should have had the lead by the end of the third quarter.

3. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

This thread is completely stupid. He held Brandon Roy to 17 (should've been 14) and he had to guard Fernadez plus Outlaw too at times. He stripped the ball at the end from Roy to send it to OT. He SHOULD have guarded him on the last shot cause Tmac gave him too much space, but I can't get on him cause he was a stud that game with 30pts.

4. vipershot24

vipershot24 Member

Artest Played Great D. You cant stop a great player from scoring. You can only contain Him.

5. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

RON is the best in the NBA at what he does... average thread

6. NateNate

NateNate Member

i tell you...i guess since ron dosent stop every point from being scored hes overrated? wow! hes great and works hard on that end! get off the gas!

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This is where I'd love if Ron Artest came in and commented here. It'd be awesome.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ron stopped Roy at the end of Regulation.
    Ron has to guard everybody, Roy, Fernandez, Cliff Robinson, Terry Porter, Rod Strickland

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Original poster you probably never played basketball in your life. Quit playing couch basketball. You don't know @$#&.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

According to Feigen:

"McGrady thought a screen was coming and knew that Ron Artest was to switch to Roy after a screen. McGrady stopped, but because there was no screen, Artest never picked up Roy who was all alone for his 31-foot rainbow."

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2008/11/yao_mcgrady_think_it_over_outs.html

---------------------------------

Roy getting that clean look was on McGrady, not Artest.

It was inevitable. McGrady has been horrible defensively all season. The steals are nice but there are 70-90 possessions per game. You don't always need to collect a stat to play good defense. Chuck Hayes will tell you that.

What we needed on that play wasn't necessarily a statistic. We just needed somebody that would fight through any pains they had in their body to get a hand in Roy's face. If he was just being lazy, then he needed to dig down deep one more time.

11. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

While that last play was a killer, I thought his defense looked 10x better tonight than it did against the Celtics or Thunder. He seemed to be more active defensively with his feet, and he even blocked a Travis Outlaw jumper (which is probably the hardest jumper to block in the league).

12. BrooksBall

Thread starter gets a big fat one star = terrible for this thread.

You jumped to a baseless conclusion and pointed a finger at one of the guys on our team who never takes a play off.

Somebody should correct the title of this thread.

13. BrooksBall

Maybe just a fraction better but blocks and steals aren't everything. You have to hustle and fight through pain or laziness on every play to be a good defender.

14. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Damn. This has to stop.

15. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Well I don't mean to say that as a team we're doing well on defense, and I certainly don't mean to say Artest is not one of our better guys defensively tonight.

But if you're trying to live with the hype that you are the BEST preremiter defensive player of the game, its simply unacceptable for you to not take the blame for a sub-par performance.

16. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Yes, I'll admit it. I did jump too quickly to a conclusion on that last play. But its still a sub-par performance overall from from the self-proclaimed best lockdown defender of the game, especially in OT.

17. BrooksBall

What makes Artest an elite defender is not his lateral quickness or his ability to chase quick guards on the perimeter and through screens. Those were known shortcomings even when he was DPOTY.

What makes him a great defender is his strength, quick hands, hustle, desire and relentless attitude among other things. And while he may not be the best perimeter defender, he can handle that role. He can also defend PFs and Cs and even PGs at times. He is also a good help defender and great at anticipating where the ball is going.

A perfect example was that strip on Roy at the end of regulation. When you saw it in slo mo, you could see that Artest was just waiting for him to raise the ball up so he could strip it.

He is also a great man-to-man defender. Just think about it. We are only 5 games into the season. How many times have you seen him strip the ball from players on the perimeter. In fact, how about just during the first few possessions of those games. It seems like every game that he sets the tone early by stripping the likes of Pierce, Howard, Durant and Fernandez.

Artest is capable and willing to do just about anything required defensively. He is built like a linebacker and doesn't back down from anything.

Ron Artest's defense is far from overrated. In fact, it appears to be greatly underrated by at least one member of this forum. :rolleyes:

18. forrealtuan

forrealtuan Member

Rudy is a good player... he owned tmac as well.

19. worzel gummidge

McGrady just isn't healthy enough yet to play good defense. That's the main reason why sooner the Rockets can get Hinrich in a Rockets uni the better it'll be for the team.

20. getRED2008

getRED2008 Member

overrated? cuz roy made teh final shot? LOL, roy 6-18 with 5 turnovers in this game. wut u expect?