1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RON ARTEST's defense is so OVER-rated its not even funny

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ambrose86, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

50/50 on this. Battier is much, much better fighting through screens, and slightly better at getting a hand in the face. Artest is better with his hands and being physical.

2. Asian Sensation

Your ability to start a thread is OVER-rated.

3. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I don't know about Ron's D. But I know I definitely miss Shane's. :(

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Don't agree with OP. Artest is a great defender, however, in the NBA great inspired offense will always beat great inspired defense. He did all he could defensively. It will help to have shane back for players like Rudy and Ray Allen.

5. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

how can you be sure he would've made the shot had it been TMAC guarding him?

You are exactly the type of fans who don't see thru the detailed moments of the game. Ron Artest clearly failed to fight thru screens, which makes rudy fernandes look unstoppable in spurts of the game. If you are to be considered a PREMIER defender, how can you get tricked REPEATEDLY? answer me this.

Besides, let's not kidd ourselves and answer urself honestly to this question? who would you rather have guarding brandon roy? shane battier, who will have a hand in ROY's ugly face 80% of the time, or ron artest who trips by a simple ball fake by Roy?

6. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Shane would have been a better matchup to Roy.

Artest did his best. And for most of the game he did quite well against Roy. I still think Artest's D is really really really good. If this thread was for that last second shot, I think it's wrong to blame Artest here. Wasn't his fault.

theSAGE

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

1. Roy was being guarded by McGrady at the end, not Artest. I don't know what happened there, it looks like McGrady wasn't ready for the play to start.

2. It was Artest's defense that got the game to overtime to begin with.

3. Roy shot terribly tonight when Artest was on him outside of that one sick cross.

4. You're an idiot.

8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I am not saiyng he played well, he sucked the entire game.

Maybe it wasn't his best defensive performance but the whole team didn't play defense at all.

But he definetly didn't lose it because of his defense. It was offense for sure.

9. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

exactly, on-ball defending consists of less than 40% of the total time you are on defense, even if you're suppose to guard the opponent's offensive creater all the time. Besides again, if you got tripped TO THE GROUND when you're defending on the ball on a last shot, then you've got some problem.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

When did he get tripped to the ground? Are you talking about Roy's shot?

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

OP does know Artest might read his thread right...

12. Lovemachine2000

Quoted for Truth. OP needs to grow up and not get upset by one game.

13. WilliamGCash

WilliamGCash Member

Ron is a great defender..... you say he struggled chasing a guard around screens? Um, why would he not struggle with that? Honestly.... how do defend that?

Ron is a beast on defense..... this loss is not on Ron's defense.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Battier= Good Defense
    Ron= Good All-around play

Yes, if it was BAttier for the last second shot, we would have won. But, if Ron didn't play, we wouldn't have even gone to overtime, it'd be the blazers by 6.

15. Bassem

Bassem Member

Artest defended fine, he's just not as fast as those guys. They would run by him with their speed. It had nothing to do with his defending ability. His defense actually almost saved the game. What I'm worried about right now, is his offensive game.

16. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Smile on my face! :D

17. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Once he has someone that can do perimeter defense with him (Battier) his value will be seen.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Weve seen the guy hustling on both ends of the court for ~40 minutes per game, and youre criticizing his D now? seriously.
    Its pretty clear his energy is gonna be a cornerstone of rockets ball this year.
    Its not even an either or decision concerning Shane. He's gonna come back, and we'll have him chasing the guards round screens with a hand in the shooter's face, and Ron already waiting for the rebound.

19. aggie87

aggie87 Member

Im trying to wonder what type of a defensive team adelman could run with:

Tmac - pg
    Battier - sg
    Artest - sf
    Hayes - pf
    Yao - c

20. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

God wanted Portland to win, nothing we can do about that.