1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Romney's past as an LDS Bishop

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Invisible Fan, Sep 7, 2012.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Don't worry everybody, I won't be around posting like this continually. I had a free day today so I spent a lot of leisure time blowing hot air in this thread. As you can tell it's a subject that's more important to me than Romney vs Obama battles. But carry on with those. Thanks for the kind words.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

This is what I like to see in discussions, and through it makes me wonder why Romney, despite his spiritual connections, is so stiff and unnatural under the spotlight.

3. thumbs

thumbs Member

Some people are uncomfortable in front of crowds. Some bathe and bask in the limelight. We must look at what a person can accomplish in the Presidency rather than being just a movie star leader.

4. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Your personal beliefs also do not offend me and I fully support your right to worship as you please.

I have nothing to prove, but religion in general does have something to prove to me. And in this I am wrong for singling out the Mormon religion and I apologize for that, however it was the religion to which the thread referred.

In respect to responses to what you have posted I have researched that information fairly well, although there is always room for growth and knowledge. What first spurred my interested, apart from being curious about the origins and beliefs of all religions, was when I once hired a Mormon to work for me.

Great guy - and did a great job for a while.

There were some basic ideological differences. For instance, in his church he was taught that he should never ever break the law. When I suggested that some of the greatest religious figures in history broke the law he was shocked and asked me to name one. I simply said, "Jesus Christ", however I found an appalling lack of ability on his part to partake in critical thinking as it applied to his own beliefs.

I found a link that supports all of the information that I provided, but I believe it would not do a service to post it so I will leave it alone. You have your beliefs, and are welcome to them. I stand by what I have posted.

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

I guess in Australia we are into compartmentalising everything and everyone into the specific category. When I refer to Christian, I do generally mean Born again Protestant Christian, but in Australia no one will just say Christian they are 'prefix' -Christian: either orthodox, Roman-Catholic, Church of England, Protestant, Lutheran...etc, etc, etc...

Nice to be able to discuss religion without having to put the flame suit on.:grin:

#65 IzakDavid13, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. napalm06

Your doubt and reluctance to appreciate religion is something you share with plenty of intelligent people.

I've lived half of my life serving roles in the church, graduating from a Mormon university, serving a Mormon mission, and learning as much as I can. I have a feeling we could continually discuss every link on the internet. Even if you posted a link to a direct LDS.org article it would probably require a little background explanation. It's a big framework of moving parts. Like I told BatmanJones, criticism is great in a two way discussion. Simply posting a link with an agenda doesn't do either of us justice.

In the end, I think the moral here is that beliefs that differ wildly from the mainstream don't make them inherently bad. The church is very unique and it's been taking fire for that since the 1800's. I don't think the conflict is necessary. I'm certainly ready to live and let live.

You mentioned that you hired a Mormon; I'm glad you had a good experience. I'm not denying that some Mormons come from a narrow-minded culture or a family that raised them very strictly. They can create workplace problems just like anyone else, I'm sure. But given all of the misconceptions out there, I'm glad people can't ask if I'm Mormon in the interviews. :p We're all just people with our own questions and answers.

#66 napalm06, Sep 12, 2012
  7. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

I would never discount an employee simply because of something that I view as inconsequential as religion.

Indeed, posting the link isn't going to modify your belief or really add anything to the discussion at this point. It does provide notes with links to sources and expands upon the information that I have posted.

All religions have what I consider to be quite the variety of absurdities, hypocrisies and lies; which is why I cannot believe in any of them. This does not remove spirituality from my life just because I do not believe the Bible when it talks about talking donkeys and burning bushes that carry on conversations with people.

Again - I stand by what I have posted and its factual nature but clarify that I view this as no different than any other religion. Works of man that are sold as works of God.

I wish you good fortune as you make it though life and hopefully you will do a better job running your new universe at the end of this existence than God seems to do at running this one. Maybe it will be one filled with magic virgins! That would be cool.

Cheers

8. thadeus

thadeus Member

Are you suggesting there is something wrong with wearing a cape? You are truly intolerant. I am wearing a cape right now, and it's a well-made and very professional cape. Please do not be so intolerant in the future. I will continue wearing my cape, and you can continue doing as you choose.

It's good that we had a conversation about this. I am not going to simply ditch my cape because some people criticize it on the internet. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to find my goat and ride home.

9. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

It is the Thadeus. This means it is a "ride, ride".

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Tell Frank Costanza I said sup.

11. napalm06

I understand you think your points are truly solid. Good luck with that. I could do without the clever condescension. But otherwise, alrighty then. Have a good one.

I have many internet links which proves that wearing capes is dangerous and detrimental to society, despite the fact that I have never worn a cape myself. You should consider your ways primitive and dull, sir. Please inform me of your choice for President so I can vote opposite, due to fear of your insane cape.

#71 napalm06, Sep 12, 2012
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Religions can be largely considered as evolving narratives over time. At one point in Israel, the Jewish population started dwindling in the face of encroaching neighbors. Thus you see harsh pronouncements not to spill one's seed or eating poisonous raw pork meat.

That's where some of the contradictions will come from, which fundies will never understand, and yes, there will be lies inserted over time as well since the record is entirely human.

Considering that these institutions are millennia-plus year old 'relics' I'd say there are some redeeming values for many people. Though not to the degree I suspect people are using it

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

That is the most limited definition of "Christian" I have ever seen or heard. So non-evangelical Protestants are not Christian, either?

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

The dude does not even think Catholics are christian.

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

Well I have heard that plenty before but I have never heard someone say non "Born Again" Protestants are not Christian.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Mitt Romney's religion isn't a reason why I woudn't vote for him.

17. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

I agree. Religion should have absolutely nothing to do with it.

That's one of a million things that drive me crazy about election season. I in particular believe that religion should stay out of politics and politics should stay out of the church.

Here in Texas we have a percentage of churches that preach politics from the pulpit during election season. Some of those places are ones that tell their followers who is and who isn't going to hell. I find that disturbing but my faith is in humanity, logic and scientific analysis over the long haul.

To clear up the misunderstanding I propose a Constitutional amendment which modifies the wording to "separation of church and state and state and church".

Separation of state and corporation and corporation and state is probably too much to ask from the politicians and their short budgets.

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

[​IMG]

19. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

Not saying that other denominations are not Christians, just what the terminology is down under, and what it refers to, and is generally accepted as, when said.

You say sidewalk Up there, we say footpath down here...