1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Romney to Reveal VP Choice Tomorrow (Saturday, August 11)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Too bad Christie wasn't interested; I honestly believe they could have had a Clinton/Gore type synergy that would debunk the whole balanced ticked myth. Kerry and Edwards were dreadful together in '04; not as patently stupid as Kerry secretly trying to get McCain, but Biden, Schumer, Hilary or even Ted K would have at least made it interesting. Quayle was like a time-released cyanide capsule: profoundly dumber, less interesting and less engaged than his drastically older running mate.

I say go with Ryan to force the budget debate (and hopefully de-emphasize social issues) and give a relatively young guy with an actual federal record some momentum for 2016.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Guess what...

It's gonna be me!

[​IMG]

4. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

Its Paul Ryan

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My guess is Portman. Paul Ryan is too young and too big a risk.

6. SuperHighFly

SuperHighFly Member

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is Pablo!

8. Major

Major Member

This doesn't seem right. Why do it during the Olympics when it will be completely drowned out in the news cycle? What you want is a huge boost from the announcement, and that's not happening tomorrow.

9. Major

Major Member

While I find the timing hard to believe and stupid (if he waits until Monday, he'll be able to completely dominate the press cycle all week), Paul Ryan is not a bad choice. He brings a level of intelligence and credibility that has been lacking in the GOP. Agree with him or not, he can defend his ideas in an intelligent way and make a rational case for them instead of some of the crazies in the party. And he has charisma that Mitt is lacking.

He also forces the debate back to the budget and, in particular, the deficit - which is an Obama weakness, regardless of his responsibility for it. I'm not sold that VP candidates have a lot of real effect in the end, but I think he's a credible pick and shakes up the campaign in a way that Pawlenty or Portman wouldn't do. He's also the opposite of Palin in that he's a person people could envision and accept as a President. I think the alternative was a demographics pick - someone like Susana Martinez to see he could slightly narrow the gap with women and Latinos, but its unclear whether those kinds of things really work and I don't know enough about her to know whether she would be viable.

The benefit for Romney is that it gives him a concrete plan to run on - the Ryan budget. If the deficit becomes a defining issue, it sort of forces Obama to provide more specifics on his own plans to address it in a comprehensive way. The weakness for Romney is that the Ryan budget is not popular, so he'll have to make a strong case for it with a lot of headwinds and a lot of opportunities for Democratic attacks.

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Ryan's nuts and plays right into Obama's hands. However, Romney had to go with him to appease the wingnuts, particularly after the Romneycare snafu this week. It's the perfect time to announce Ryan as the crazies will clap and most won't notice. Better spoken, male version of Palin if Palin was the result of an unholy union of Ayn Rand and bizzaro world Reagan-era David Stockman.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

what a nut...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xwv5EbxXSmE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Nook

Nook Member

Primarily because he is a poor candidate with a recent history of terrible timing, in Romney's world it makes perfect sense.

The selection of Ryan is questionable, there is a lot to go after. He is nearly as bad a flip flopper as Romney. I am sure his support of bailouts will be highlighted.

Every time Romney has a shot at momentum he and his handlers shoot themselves in the foot.

13. rimrocker

But he can't defend it in an intelligent way, because his budget ideas are absolutely crazy. The math only works if you intentionally pretend a bunch of stuff that won't happen. The ideas can be defended only by lying and misrepresenting what will happen should the policies be enacted.

I agree he shakes things up, but I'm not sure at all he's ready for primetime and the budget/deficit debate, especially with Ryan's plans for making them worse is a debate i bet the Obama team is happy to have in front of them.

Romney already said he would support the Ryan budget. He already had a concrete plan. It is a plan dreamed up in the most sophomoric of wingnut minds and screws most Americans, but it is a plan I guess.

Again, I think Ryan is OK as a secondary figure. I think he will wilt under the pressure of the big leagues.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Respectfully disagree... He has attempted to get rid of Medicare (not popular), supported the bailouts if I remember correctly and has contradicted himself a number of times. Windbag Biden isn't great either but we already know his failings... Ryan's will be highlighted and when positioned with Romney, will only emphasize that both men are running from their pasts.

15. rimrocker

$3 trillion in tax breaks to the rich and corporations with a $3.3 trillion cut of programs for lower and middle class Americans, like Medicaid and Pell grants and force state governments into bankruptcy? Yes, that's nuts.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This could be a big gift for the Democrats. I remember the Democrats winning a house seat in New York in a congressional district that was very red specifically because the Republican candidate supported the Paul Ryan plan. The other VP candidates, I'm not sure what the Democrat strategy would be. But you can be sure Obama's team will hammer home the "Paul Ryan 'Kill Medicare As We Know It' Plan" message.

It seems Mitt is done trying to sway independents and undecideds and has now moved on to trying to energize the base and get more conservatives to the polls in November.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like the pick (not an American conservative) and I hope it'll bring the referendum of economic policy back into the public eye. As much as I enjoy Swift-boat irony (not really), this Bain/Tax Evasion Bull**** should be more like appetizers that destroy the palate than the actual entree.

I'm hoping for...
    -More visibility on how he would fix things that Tea Baggers are thumpin and hootin over.

-More aggressive responses from cowardly Democrat leaders who have done jack **** with their wait, see, and surrender approach.

-Possible public recognition for boomers rising up and taking theirs, and draining the country dry with unrealistic promises they actively voted for.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Basically what you'd expect from the GOP in 2012.

[​IMG]

#18 Carl Herrera, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  19. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I do not like Obama too much but every time I hear Romney speak, I feel like I need a shower. He just seems so sleazy and condescending. I hate being in this situation where you have to choose the lesser of two evils but I just wonder how anyone can feel like it is a good idea to have Romney leading this country. I can only imagine how many countries he would piss off with is upper class ignorant ways. They say....."well do you want four more years of the same?" and all I can do is laugh. I know we are in Texas, so it is worse but the amount of people that support Romney and dont even know what his intentions are is crazy. The party system is so flawed it is ridiculous. No matter who the candidate is, Texas will still be a republican state.....I wish I had a suggestion for fixing it but dont......stupid politics.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He voted for the Medicare D expansion before he decided to be totally against the entire thing.

Maybe he'll re-own Rand for some rallies before disowning her again.