1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Romney loses support from Ron Paul

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by underoverup, Aug 26, 2012.

1. underoverup

underoverup Member

seems like the rnc would find a way to let paul speak because romney will be losing quite a few young votes and some enthusiasm at his convention.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_...ul-i-dont-fully-endorse-romney-for-president/

Ron Paul: I don't fully endorse Romney for president
    Republican Rep. Ron Paul, the libertarian leader who competed against Mitt Romney in the GOP primary, isn't speaking at the Republican National Convention because he isn't willing to give Romney his full endorsement, Paul told the New York Times.

In an interview with the Times, Paul said that he was offered an opportunity to speak at the convention this week on two conditions: that he let the Romney campaign vet his speech, and that he give Romney his full support. He declined the offer.

"It wouldn't be my speech," Paul said. "That would undo everything I've done in the last 30 years. I don't fully endorse him for president."

As Romney prepares to officially accept the Republican presidential nomination at the convention in Tampa this week, his campaign has been making amends with the Paul campaign and its ardent supporters. For instance, the Romney campaign this week will show a short tribute film about the libertarian-leaning congressman. And while Paul will not address the convention, his son, Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, will deliver a speech.

Ron Paul himself will address his supporters at a rally at the University of South Florida on Sunday afternoon.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If Ron Paul can't be Ron Paul, why would Ron Paul want to speak as Ron Paul?

1 person likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

I've been wondering where all our Ron Paul supporters that were claiming how he was going to win lots and lots of delegates at state conventions and make noise at the national convention have gone?

4. NMS is the Best

He did - around 200 outright and maybe up to 300 or more if you include those bound to other candidates. Unfortunately, the RNC and the Romney campaign worked hard and threw out duly elected Paul delegates in Oregon, Massachusetts, Maine, and Louisiana as to deny Paul the 5 states he needed to be nominated for President from the floor...

2 people like this.
  5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

This.

1 person likes this.
  6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Why would Ron Paul ever help the GOP? They screwed him big time, now its time to screw them back.
    If anyone in the GOP had a chance to beat Obama, it was Ron Paul. So as a liberal I guess I'm almost thankful that the GOP is as corrupt as it is.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Gary Johnson 2012! Together us Paulites can get him 1% of the popular vote!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ehh, I don't see Paulites being enthusiastic for Romney even with a hokey endorsement from Ron Paul himself. Their enthusiasm is for what Ron Paul stands for and no one is buying that Romney stands for the same things. Romney is better off marginalizing Paul, because he can't really be co-opted.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Say what you want about Ron Paul's policies, but he certainly has more principle than 99.999% of politicians.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Romney never had Ron Paul's support, so there's no way he could have lost it.

Still don't know what the GOP's end-game is. They can't seriously think Romney will win, and the way they treat Paul and his supporters doesn't make it seem like they want him/them.

I still see Rand running in 2016. Not sure if the GOP will get behind him or not. I thought they might be nicer to Ron so as to bring in some of his supporters to Rand in 2016.

11. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

Romney really think he can win it all by choosing that Paul guy as his running mate?

The guy looks like a pathological liar, and completely out of touch from reality. Worse than Sarah Palin.

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

They're mad and I don't blame them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/u...ooks-to-head-off-storm-during-convention.html

At Convention, 2 Disruptions: Tropical Storm and Ron Paul

Mitt Romney’s hopes for a highly disciplined and scripted nominating convention continued to fray Monday morning as a tropical storm barreled toward New Orleans and was expected to strengthen into a hurricane.

Mr. Romney’s convention organizers were also warily keeping an eye on some restive delegates, including supporters of Representative Ron Paul of Texas, who were poised to challenge parts of the convention’s rules and platform when it begins Tuesday afternoon.

The delay provided more time for some delegates to plot against changes to the party’s nominating rules that Mr. Romney’s campaign tried to push through late last week. Mr. Romney’s top lawyer had proposed a process of selecting delegates to the 2016 convention that would make it harder for someone like Mr. Paul to collect support.

“This is the biggest power grab in the history of the Republican Party because it shifts the power to select delegates from the state party to the candidate,” Jim Bopp, a national committeeman from Indiana, said in a statement. “It would make the Republican Party a top-down, not bottom-up, party.”

Aides to Mr. Romney said they were keeping tabs on the discussions about the rules changes and were anticipating possible efforts by some delegates to challenge the rules from the convention floor.

Mr. Paul’s supporters do not have enough delegates to seriously challenge Mr. Romney’s nomination, which will take place Tuesday in a roll-call vote. Convention planners hope that Mr. Romney will receive the number of delegates he needs to claim the nomination just as the 6:30 p.m. news broadcasts come on Tuesday.

But some of the real tensions that played out for more than a year during the Republican primaries remain as delegates gather for the convention. Mr. Romney’s advisers concede that those rivalries could play out during the convention’s early hours

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Which guy?

14. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

Ryan。Romney is not far away。

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Welcome, thanks for taking some time away from your rocket surgeon practice to enlighten the board!

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

18. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member