1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Romeo Crennel expected to be new defensive coordinator for the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jdm485, Jan 4, 2014.

?

Do you like the move to let Wade Phillips go and hire Romeo Crennel as new DC?

1. YES

178 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. NO

51 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. jdm485

jdm485 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source tells <a href="https://twitter.com/FOXSports">@FOXSports</a> new <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23texans&amp;src=hash">#texans</a> HC Bill O'Brien has fired all assistants from prior coaching staff &amp; will name Romeo Crennel def coor</p>&mdash; Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/statuses/419488879389835264">January 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Cypress

Cypress Member

And so it begins:cool:

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I like how Bill O'Brien said he was going to sit down with all of the coaching staff individually to see if they would stick around. I have a feeling that since these discussions only lasted until 9:30am the only thing that was discussed was "you're fired". lol. :grin: I'm all for it.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Yay!!

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

So... Buddy system?

6. Remii

Remii Member

O'Brien and Romeo are going to show Smith how to put together a team...

7. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

No... BCA.

Best Coach Available

8. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Off the news wire 3 min ago:

Bill O’Brien clears out Texans staff, to hire Romeo Crennel

Well, Wade Phillips won’t get the chance to be the Texans defensive coordinator next year. And none of the guys he worked with are hanging around either.

According to Alex Marvez of FOX Sports, new Texans coach Bill O’Brien met with the existing Texans staff and fired them all, and will name Romeo Crennel as his defensive coordinator.

The 66-year-old Crennel was out of football this season after being fired by the Chiefs with two years left on his contract. That will allow the Texans to stay with the 3-4 defense they’re already running.

The clean house sets the stage for the Texans staff to have a very Bostonian vibe, as O’Brien will tap into his base of former Patriots co-workers for help.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You shouldn't celebrate people losing their jobs. It's not like all of these guys were the problem, and I'm not saying we shouldn't start fresh either, but be a human being and measure your response. Not everybody on that staff is going to move on to a new job right away, and the assistants do not make big money to begin with.

2 people like this.
  10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

No Clown? I think a trade is a reaaaaaal possibility. (trding down)

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Romeo is famous for half time adjustment

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Romeo is solid and we cant really ask for more. But I don't know, I was hoping for some new blood and innovation. NE's defense has evolved into something more dynamic and unpredictable since he's left, and it's a way less talented defense now. He's on par with Phillips though. More proven.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

J.R. asleep at the switch with this coaching news

14. Remii

Remii Member

Those guys make 6 to 7 figures... They will be okay...

15. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Nature of the business. These guys don't get into this business looking for stability. also, don't lose 14 in a row and you wont have any need to be fired.

16. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

I know its part of the business, but man can't help but feel bad for Wade. He's done a lot for us. Wishing him the best.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Thanks for all you done Wade Phillips, but something had to change about that red zone defense.

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I never said they didn't need to be let go. I just don't think "yay" is the right response, we might as well put on party hats and throw confetti at them as they pack up their s**t.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I really liked Wade and it's sad to see him go. His defense wasn't working out anymore but I would have liked to keep him involved in the organization in some way.

I'm not thrilled about Romeo Crennel. I would have liked a younger guy more in touch with current nfl trends. Romeo was out of football last year for a reason.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Being out of football isnt necessarily a bad thing...I think coaches can learn from their mistakes by stepping away from the game and watching it from a different perspective.