1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roman Catholic Nun Gives Birth In Italy.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by roxxfan, Jan 20, 2014.

1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

......yet claims she was unaware of her pregnancy....interesting....named the baby "Francis," after the Pope. Well at least she didn't claim this was a virgin pregnancy like others have
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25787757

Nun who gave birth in Italy 'unaware of pregnancy'

A nun who gave birth to a baby boy in the central Italian city of Rieti, said she had no idea she was pregnant, local media report.

The 31-year-old was rushed to hospital with abdominal pains, which she thought were stomach cramps.

The young mother, who is originally from El Salvador, reportedly named her newborn Francis after the current Pope.

The mayor of Rieti, Simone Petrangeli has appealed to the public and media to respect the woman's privacy.

The news has drawn international attention to the small city of 47,700 inhabitants.

The nun called the ambulance on Wednesday morning. A few hours later she gave birth to a healthy baby boy.

"I did not know I was pregnant. I only felt a stomach pain," she was quoted as saying by the Ansa news agency.

People at the hospital have begun collecting clothes and donations for the mother and her child, Italian media say.

The woman belongs to a convent near Rieti, which manages an old people's home.

Fellow nuns at the convent said they were "surprised" by the news.

Local pastor Don Fabrizio Borrello told journalists that the nun planned to take care of the baby.

"I guess she's telling the truth when she says she arrived at the hospital unaware of the pregnancy."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.i4u.com/2014/01/61447/pregnant-nun-surprises-italy

(Excerpt)

The nun, whose privacy has been respected, has named her son Francis. Whether this is in honor of Pope Francis or Saint Francis of Assisi is a disputed fact. The small town of Rieti in Italy was where this shocking incident took place.

When questioned, the nun said she had not the slightest idea that she was pregnant.

Meanwhile, the town mayor has urged the public to refrain from scandal mongering and allow the nun her right to confidentiality.

The rest of the sisters at the convent expressed ignorance as to how she became pregnant in the first place. They have further volunteered to take care of the baby boy on a collective basis.

While there is such a thing as parthenogenesis (virgin birth) in Nature, it is a very rare phenomenon. Very few women can claim to give birth without the previous accompaniment of sexual intercourse or technologically assisted methods of fertilization.

For now, it remains a mystery whether or not the nun had any relations with someone before the birth of her baby son.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

...ok.

Thread-worthy?

3. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Catholic?

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Pic of nun? Would hit yes/no?

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

how can one be unaware of a pregnancy

sounds like a story of that girl who claimed to have gotten pregos from swimming in a pool

6. JuanValdez

No, I'm an atheist, though I'm married to a born-again protestant. It just seems to me that there must be a million nuns in the world; that one slipped and broke a vow of chastity wouldn't be surprising. Nor does she seem to be a nun of any prominence or power in the church. And the religion allows that everyone's a sinner and their sins are forgiven. Nor did she compound the problem with an abortion. So, other than a little embarassment, everything's cool.

7. JuanValdez

Severely overweight women can be taken by surprise. Their obesity has already disrupted their ovulation cycle, so missing a period wouldn't be a tip-off. And the belly and the discomfort of carrying a baby is dwarfed by the problems they already have. I don't know if that's her issue, but it's possible. For this nun, I'd assume she was lying to delay uncomfortable questions, which is understandable given her vocation and vows (even if it is unwise).

8. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

It isn't uncommon. When I was in college, there was a story about a girl in the dorms having a kid without knowing she was pregnant. I think they had a TV show about these instances on a few years ago.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is a tv show called "I didn't know I was pregnant."

I think it's on Discovery Channel. You never know if these people are telling the truth or not, but the doctors on there have said it is possible, especially if you have things in your head to rationalize some of the symptoms. Missing periods could easily be rationalized away by a woman who hasn't had regular periods.

But yeah, this isn't thread worthy. I figured she was claiming immaculate conception based on the thread title. I'm sure there are plenty of nuns over the years who have broken their vows.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's a miracle!!!

11. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Very few? Try zero.

12. bongman

bongman Member

Really? Why do humans want to cling to more complicated explanations than to accept the more obvious, simple and only explanation - she got knocked up somebody. :rolleyes:

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

For real. It's right there in print at the end of the article.

14. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The remark about all the nuns in the convent expressing ignorance on how she got pregnant was pretty funny.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Try one. :)

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Well, are we going to find out the baby's "father"? :grin:

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

We need to verify Bill Clinton's whereabouts. :grin:

18. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. dragician

dragician Member

....and who's the daddy?

[​IMG]

20. bucket

bucket Member

Now we know where Bob Sura was last spring.