1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rolling Stones @ Toyota Center - OMFG - WOW!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Dec 2, 2005.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Here's the setlist...

1. START ME UP
    2. IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL
    3. SHE'S SO COLD
    4. TUMBLIN DICE
    5. ON NO, NOT YOU AGAIN
    6. RAIN FALL DOWN
    7. DEAD FLOWERS
    8. b****
    9. NIGHT TIME IS THE RIGHT TIME (Ray Charles cover)
    10. SLIPPING AWAY
    11. INFAMY
    12. MISS YOU
    13. ROUGH JUSTICE
    14. GET OFF MY CLOUD
    15. HONKY TONK WOMEN
    16.SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
    17.BROWN SUGAR
    18.SATISFACTION

Encores:
    19 YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    20.JUMPIN JACK FLASH

Observations:

Los Lonely Boys cancelled due to illness of a band member. The Stones played for 2 hours total...from 9:10-11:10.

--I certainly hope I have that kind of energy when I'm 62. Mick Jagger is a marvel, an absolute marvel. A whirling dervish. His voice was richer than I have ever heard tonight. It was simply amazing.

--Keith was, well, the pirate gunslinger we all know and love. He seemed to solo a whole lot more tonight than I had seen in the previous two times I saw the Stones (1981 at the Astrodome and 1989 at the LA Coliseum). Keith was KEEF, just as advertised.

--Ron Wood seemed to flub a couple of solos tonight, but to his credit, he completely nailed the solo for "Dead Flowers"...so much so to the point that Keith just stopped playing and kept singing.

--Charlie Watts was a human metronome as always...right on the money and in the pocket. He plays the smallest drumkit on the planet.

The setlist was wonderful. They came out very tight and strong with "Start Me Up", "It's Only Rock N Roll", "She's So Cold" and "Tumblin Dice". "Dead Flowers" and "b****" were very inspired. The whole show had alot of energy tonight. When they hit the B stage, they absolutely nailed "Get Off My Cloud".

Funny notes: Mick cracked a Bush joke, or tried to :). He said "Houston, home of the champion Astros" (Big cheer), "the Texans" (big groan since the Texans suck so bad this year) "and the Bush's" (slight clapping that was quickly drowned out by groaning and booing). Then Mick said "two out of three ain't bad". Before "Dead Flowers" Mick broke into a couple of impromptu bars of Glen Campbell's "Houston". When Keith took the vocals over, he looked around at the Toyota Center and said "so this is a new joint, eh? Looks good." They passed around a straw 10 gallon hat to wear during the band introductions. Charlie laughed when he put it on because it was too big and slipped down past his eyebrows.

The Toyota Center acoustics were phenominal. This was the best sound and arena acoustics of any of the three Stones shows I've been to by a mile. It was the best performance of the three times I've seen them. I would have liked a few more/different songs, but for them to play everything I would want to hear, they would be on stage for 12 hours. It was a great show and worth every penny.

That's it! Now on to Baltimore to wear a bag on my head! YEEHAW!!!

#1 RocketMan Tex, Dec 2, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  2. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

It is not a Rolling Stones set without Gimme Shelter... :mad:

I wish I could've gone to the concert. I'm a huge fan.

3. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

RE: "two out of three ain't bad."

Maybe it was a play to the pro and anti-Bushies? Bush-haters could see it as a joke about Dub, while Dub-lovers will convince themselves that Mick is up on the Texans' struggles?

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That was the one I was looking for and didn't see.

5. coma

coma Contributing Member

Agreed, the concert was amazing.

So very glad they played Sympathy.

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I heard Jagger lip synched about 1/2 the show.

:)

7. candycane

candycane Contributing Member

Stones will be in Memphis tomorrow night. Last gig for this leg of their tour. Should be a big party. Los Lonely Boys are supposed to be their opening act so I'm wondering if they will cancel as well. Out of curiosity, how much were the tickets to your show?

8. RocketMan Tex

Ummm....not by a longshot :D. If Jagger lipsynched any of it, he is the greatest lipsyncher in music history! :D:D:D

It was a great show. Michael D. Clark trashed it in today's Chronicle, saying they "were just going through the motions". Well, if Mr. Clark can go through the "motions" Mick Jagger went through last night when he is 62, then more power to him! :D

9. RocketMan Tex

For the Stones to play everything I would want to hear, they would be onstage for 12 hours. "Dead Flowers" and "b****" were unexpected admirable set choices to me. I would have liked to hear "Stray Cat Blues", but they haven't played that live since 1972.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

RMTex -- I thought about you last night when I heard people talking about the concert at the courthouse. Glad you had fun!

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yea - my personal favorite is Can't You Hear Me Knocking - brings back "hazy days" for me. ;) You're right they'd be on stage for 12 hours just to begin to cover the songs. I wish I could have seen them. That's the bad thing about living in a small town.

12. coma

coma Contributing Member

While I don't agree they were going through the motions, I will admit that a certain amount of energy and showmanship were missing. Of course, relatively speaking, it was still a better show than most acts could pray to put on. Last night would've been a perfect candidate for a Stones Greatest Hits: Live CD.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think Mick meant 1 out of 3 ain't bad. Or, he hasn't been following the Texans. :p

14. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I wonder why they didn't play "Sweet Neo Con" in Bush country? Probably afraid of stirring up controversy.

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

awesome tex, wish i'd been there. i'm with you on stray cat blues, beggar's banquet is my favorite stones album.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

oh come on! Sticky Fingers blows BB out of the water...

;)

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

this is like arguing whether you like your pecan pie warm or room temperature

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

:cool: yep!

19. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

so they were pretty bad?

20. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

and exile blows both out!

its really hard to choose b/t those 3 though - along w/ let it bleed that was definately the stones golden era - must have been all the smack!

cool to see tumblin' dice on there. great song!