1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rolling Stone: A Rape on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BabyClutch, Nov 28, 2014.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

It is clear who was not in a fraternity. If you think animal house style still is the main dominating factor :rolleyes: Looking at you, SamFisher.

I go to one of the most (if not the most) liberal schools in the nation. False accusations is starting to become a serious problem. Especially because there really isn't a consequence. "Oh my bad, I guess he didn't rape me. I just mis-remembered". It's like the shepherd who cried wolf. Unfortunately, the guy's life is ruined. It is over.

You know who this is all affecting? The non-rapists and normal college students. My friends are absolutely freaked out about what they can or cannot do because they don't know if she will be a psycho or not. They have had friends who have been falsely accused just because a girl wanted to get revenge on the guy. It is a problem.

The problem is that people are trying to skew this to become "guilty until proven innocent." It doesn't work like that. Like Kojirou said, rape is not an up and coming epidemic; there is not a rape culture on campus. There are rapists; there is not a culture. There isn't really an incentive if one does not believe in a rape culture to announce that; you will seem sexist, so nobody does it.

I encourage you to look up the curious case of Emma Sulkowicz. At Columbia University, she went on a smear campaign against her "alleged" rapist, and everybody just assumed he raped her. Articles were written; she was invited to the state of the union; start of a movement; bla bla bla. Then one article in defense of the "rapist" came out, and it was nearly clear that there was not a rape involved. She duped everybody. But this guy's life is still done.

Phi Kappa Psi and UVA better sue the s**t out of the Rolling Stone for that crap of what they call journalism. It is clear they let an agenda get in the way of integrity.

#41 jbasket, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one should ever expect accuracy or good journalism from Rolling Stone in the first place.

3. D-Lite

D-Lite Member

Law and Order SVU just did an episode based on this story last week.

4. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Was it an episode that made the story true, or an episode about the false journalism of the story?

5. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I've always equated Rolling Stone to a mix of US Weekly and National Enquirer. Even the gold standard, NY Times, is full of warts. News media credibility is poor in general.

6. D-Lite

D-Lite Member

Very little was spent on the journalistic integrity. They changed the story up it where they found the "rapists" and charged them so the entire story was focused on that part.

7. Mr. Brightside

Haven't really followed this story much since I initially read about it, but let me add that these UVA Phi Kappa Si fraternity members should be prosecuted at the full extent of the law for this horrific crime. Just because one is wealthy (or white) doesn't mean they are above the law.

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I would have expected you to blame the victim for being female not want to prosecute the fraternity. Your losing your touch ;)

9. Nero

Nero Member

[​IMG]

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Um, let's be a little more detailed:

The premise was a girl got drunk, went back to the dorm with a frat member, had sex with him and then passed out. When she left she went through a really bad harassing walk of shame and went to a rape advocate teacher on campus who convinced her she was gang raped. They charged four men with rape and went through a bunch of nonsense only for the girl to ultimately recant the story, basically admitting that the professor convinced her it happened. In reality she WAS raped by one dude who came in after she passed out. Charges were dropped.

The moral of the story was:
    1) Rape is still bad (there was an actual rape committed)
    2) Lying is bad (the real rapist got off because of her lies)
    3) Journalism is bad (they focused at the end on how this all got drummed up because of a bad reporter not doing the proper follow up)
    4) Bias is bad (everyone believed her because she hit all the right check marks and they sided against the frat)
    5) Sensationalizing rape helps no one (the line is said at the end that they set back rape prosecution 30 years all because a rape advocate drummed up the accusation.)

11. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

12. generalthade_03

That chic Rolling Stone reporter made a halfhearted apology to everyone including that lying rape victim except to those frat boys. Frat boys need to take everyone down, sue the pants off of them including the school administrators who sided with the liar before knowing all the facts.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

people can go back and forth. i would just like to say someone that does in fact rape someone (looking at the guys perspective, not the victim) what a loser LOSER you are. how can you even enjoy the act of it? so pathetic

14. likestohypeguy

She has to pay restitution- one free court ordered rape awarded to the falsely accused.

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

Relevant video...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XjmUgjWle5w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>