1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roku/Netflix/Hulu ... Rockets?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Toast, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Toast

Toast Member

I'm sure this has come up in the last year or so but I don't think I have search priviledges. So I'll ask the question to you guys who know what you're doing.

You know how it is. Hundreds of channels on TV and there's nothing on. So the wifey and I are thinking about cutting some expenses, losing the U-verse, and riding the wave of the digital future.

Problem is: I don't know how the heck to get Rockets games this way. Is there a Rockets channel you can subscribe to? Or at least a way to get Fox Sports Houston?

How do you guys do it?

Thanks for helping me out as always!

2. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Are you thinking in terms of watching the games online?

3. Toast

Toast Member

I'd like to get 'em on my TV, but if they're high resolution enough, I can plug my computer into my TV and go from there.

4. what

what Member

I'd like to get something like this as well. But all I know is league pass. Since the NBA schedule is only 3 or 4 months, you could take the other eight months off. That's what I am doing. When the games start up again, I don't know what I'll actually do.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

NBA League Pass Broadband is the way to go. That's what I do. The online service is fantastic. You can actually watch multiple games simultaneously and the realtime stats are great.

I cut cable about 3 years ago, and I barely miss it.

6. what

what Member

How much is league pass?

Also, how do you get around the blackouts?

7. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

NBA League Pass Broadband was on the Roku. It was introduced at the end of last season. I paid for the cheaper LPBB packages (I think $100 for 6 teams or something like that) and then paid for the NBA channel on the Roku (I think $5).

It was kind of buggy though, it kept pausing and jumping back a few minutes. Hopefully this year it's better - if there is a "this year" :(

http://www.nba.com/home/roku/

#7 Mack, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

sweet thats exaxtly what i was looking for. if the rockets are on the NBA channel will that be then blocked out on the league pass? and im assuming that the $5 is a monthly charge?

9. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Could one of you explain Roku, i'm on their website and it just leaves me more confused. My comp is hooked up to my tv, so I already watch netflix on it.

10. what

what Member

roku is kinda like a tivo, but with much less functionality. It basically allows you to stream from the internet to your tv.

11. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Yes, if it's on NBATV or TNT or ABC, it seems to be blocked out, best I can remember.

The $5 (I think) was a one-time charge. I believe there were only about 2 weeks left in the season when they introduced the NBA Game Time channel with LPBB. So I don't know what the pricing for a full season would be.

12. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

The Roku is a box that can stream from many services. Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, MLB, NBA, Pandora, UFC, and a bunch of others I can't remember right now. Of course you have to subscribe to each of these, but at least you don't have to pay for channels you don't watch. If you're fine with a laptop, you probably won't need a Roku. But the Roku is easier to deal with, because it's got a simple remote and you don't need a keyboard.

13. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I've been using Boxee lately, it's free and you can use it on your PC and use HDMI out or DLNA to view on your TV.

Its in beta but it's pretty nice.

14. what

what Member

Funny, I just found this software. It is a resource monster, but it does pull all kinds of internet programs.

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Yup, but only on Windows lol. Boxee on Linux runs pretty smooth. Have you tried hooking it up to your TV via HDMI (assuming you don't have a DLink Boxee)? I love how you can use your smartphone as a remote.

16. SunsRocketsfan

One thing to note NBA league pass does not include playoff games since those are on TNT and espn. Might not be a problem tho since we won't make the playoffs

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

18. Toast

Toast Member

My understanding from NBA League Pass was that locally broadcast games (i.e., ones you could theoretically get from FSN Houston) would be blacked out in Houston. Did I read that wrong? 'cause I'd get league pass if I thought it meant I could get Rockets games, but the way it was worded on their website led me to believe I couldn't get Rockets games since I lived in Houston.

19. Toast

Toast Member

The fine print includes this:
    Local and national market blackout rules apply based on your location. Nationally and locally televised games are subject to blackouts and are therefore not available via NBA LEAGUE PASS BROADBAND (regardless of home or away). Click here to review the NBA LEAGUE PASS BROADBAND blackout rules.

20. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

interesting i may invest in a roku and lp BB if it allows me to also watch nba tv

i am about to move into a new place in the next month and my roommate and i are going to not have any cable/sat service since we hardly watch live tv - most of the shows we watch we just download later - i will miss the dvr but its not the worst thing really. i can still watch nfl games via hd antenna (never had sunday ticket since i am usually busy on sundays anyway) my only worry was rocket games when the league started up again but i may do this i didnt want to hook a laptop up to the tv

but who knows the league probably will start in 2013 at this rate there could be something better by then.