1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Clemens to the Stros???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by poprocks, Jan 23, 2008.

1. poprocks

poprocks Member

Roger Clemens a Distraction? Naaaaaah!
    Posted Jan 23rd 2008 6:00AM by Mullet
    Filed under: Houston, Astros, NL Central, MLB Rumors, The Word
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/23/roger-clemens-a-distraction-naaaaaah/

So that personal services contract that Roger Clemens has with the Astros might be starting to kick in now. The 'Stros have invited the rumor embattled Clemens to participate in their Nolan Ryan Pitching Camp next week, just as he's done in years past. The circumstances this time around are just a wee bit different.

"He knows he is welcome and appreciates the Astros standing by him," Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, wrote Tuesday in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "He would love to be with the kids, but doesn't want to be a distraction. He will decide later what to do."

2. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

I think the title of this thread was a wee bit crappier than the title of that article.

3. msn

msn Member

Hello, and welcome to last year!

Lock it.

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

might want to edit that title or something

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dear Roger,

You are a distraction. Please go away.

Thanks,

6. msn

msn Member

I disagree. Were he on the *roster*, it'd be one thing. But one of the greatest pitchers of all time working with our young pitching prospects? That media circus isn't "distracting". If he'd gone all Juice over his ex, that'd be one thing.

If the Astros don't want him, he can certainly come coach my kid (no vitamins allowed).

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Absolutely agree, although I'll add that if he wants to pitch come July, he's certainly welcome to a roster spot as well. I just wouldn't want him to pitch the entire season for obvious injury reasons. But as far as the immediate future, which consists of an incredibly intelligent pitcher and one of the all-time greats helping with a staff that desperately needs help, sign me up...

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The problem is Clemens insists on being noticed. He's one of these guys who gets a major kick out of being in the news and being on camera. If he just goes to Round Rock and Corpus Christi I'm fine with it, but that ain't gonna happen with this guy. He will insist on periodic media attention. People like him have a special version of Attention Deficit Disorder, if you know what I mean.

9. msn

msn Member

And that hurts our young, inexperienced pitching staff how?

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need that half season of pitching from him in addition to another move for an inning eater.Jennings was damaged goods and if he can get healthy then fine,but if not Drayton needs to go get a solid #2.We don't know how Backe is going to come back.......so.

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Jennings already signed with the Rangers.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well as that's the case then get the number two ASAP Drayton.I don't know what planet I was on.....Planet Lake Tahoe I guess.

Thanks Aceshigh7,
    Doc

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why does your kid need to know how to pull a tractor with his teeth? In what situation is that useful?

14. Fatty FatBastard

I'm hoping Clemens signs because it would make me look like a freaking genius! I was interviewed by Channel 13 last year as to my thoughts on Clemens going to New York, and I stated "He'll be back. It's only for one year, people."

If he does come back, I'm calling Channel 13 immediately.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You said: "Were he on the *roster*, it'd be one thing."

I disagree with that. My point was Clemens being on the roster or on a services contract wouldn't be much different whether it's instructing younger pitchers or being a distraction.

16. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Jesus H. Christ, Roger Clemens is the Caitlin Bree of Houston... i can't believe Astros fan is still willing to welcome this douchebag steroid fiend back with open arms. :rolleyes:

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why is he a douche?

Because he gets highlights?

[​IMG]

18. msn

msn Member

I get your point. I disagree.

19. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

You mean how everyone here is welcoming Miguel Tejada with open arms?

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well, the Chonicle's fawning coverage of Miguelito doesn't really reflect Houston as a whole.