1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Clemens to rejoin Astros in 2008 (kind of)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by weslinder, Nov 7, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Roger will start his personal services contract next season.

Nov. 7, 2007, 3:42PM
    Clemens starts 'post-playing' career with Astros in '08

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

ORLANDO – For the first time since he signed with the Astros in January 2004, future Hall of Famer Roger Clemens will inform the Astros today that he intends to start a season working under his post-retirement, personal services agreement. Through his agents, Randy and Alan Hendricks of Houston, the 11-time All-Star will inform Astros owner Drayton McLane the news today.

Clemens had vowed to retire after the 2003 season with the Yankees, but McLane, a strong community lobbying effort and Andy Pettitte’s signing with the Astros prompted the hard-throwing righthander to put off retirement in 2004. Since then, Clemens has vowed never to officially say he’s retired. Nonetheless, today’s news is the closest sign that Clemens, 45, may indeed be close to retirement.

“Roger has said several times that he has failed at retirement, so I am not announcing his retirement,” Hendricks told the Chronicle. “The plan for 2008 is this: Roger plans to start the new year as the first year of his post-playing career contract as a consultant to the Houston Astros.

“Roger really enjoys the teaching aspects of baseball and loves his interaction with the young players.”

Clemens signed a discounted $5 million deal with the Astros in 2004, receiving $3 million in attendance incentives and a $3 million, 10-year personal services contract. He played three seasons with the Astros.

In three seasons playing in his hometown of Houston, he won the Cy Young Award in 2004, helped the Astros win a postseason series for the first time in franchise history in 2004, helped them reach Game 7 of the 2004 National League Championship Series and then helped the 2005 team win the NL pennant and reach the first World Series in the state of Texas.

His good friend Pettitte left the Astros to return to the New York Yankees after the 2006 season, and Clemens followed him to the Bronx after receiving a major-league record $28 million prorated deal for a partial season. Without Pettitte and Clemens, the Astros finished fourth in the weak National League Central with a 73-89 record, their worst since they were 72-90 in 2000.

Clemens was nagged by a few injuries in 2007, including an elbow problem that made some wonder if Father Time had caught up with him and finally led to his final season in baseball. He was 6-6 with a 4.18 ERA in 2007, throwing 99 innings over 18 appearances, 17 of those starts for the Yankees.

Even though he also pitched a partial season in 2006 with the Astros, his 99 innings were the second-fewest in his 24 seasons in the majors. The 99 innings were the fewest he had thrown since throwing 98 1/3 for the Boston Red Sox in his injury shortened 1985 season, which was his second in the majors.

Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young Award winner who is 354-184 over his career, is eighth on the all-time victories list and first among pitchers alive. In strikeouts, he is second only to Hall of Famer and former Astro Nolan Ryan.

As part of his post-retirement deal, Clemens will show up to spring training and work with the major-leaguers somewhat but mostly with the minor-leaguers. In 2006, he worked on some of those duties after he returned from the World Baseball Classic and before he began his three-stop tour of the Astros’ farm system while preparing to join the Astros after signing a pro-rated deal.

He also worked with the Astros’ minor-leaguers when he was away from the Astros in 2007, especially when he visited his son Koby, a third base prospect at Class A Lexington.

Last spring, he worked with the Astros’ minor-leaguers and followed his son at Lexington before signing with the Yankees in May.

“I love it,” Clemens said last Feb. 22 of working with the prospects. “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t enjoy doing this and having the opportunity to be available to the kids when they ask questions. I still enjoy it.

“I’ve been real blessed to be able to do this and really for the Astros to let me come down and let me be a part of this. We worked real hard, I think on my first or second contract, to have the personal services deal, and now it’s coming true.”

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I kind of wish they would have torn this deal up when he left for the Yankees.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Roger Clemens can go to heck.

4. msn

msn Member

Not me. No room for sour grapes, here. One of the greatest pitchers of all time with one of the best work ethics in the game.

Attention w****? Sure. Money-grubber? Sure. But he won't be teaching ethics; he'll be teaching baseball.

Color me pleased.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Haven't we traded or cut his son yet?

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

WILL HE OR WON'T HE....do nothing and collect a fat check by starting his "personal services" contract.

I can't wait to find out!

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Personal service contract doesn't mean coach. It's basically like a severence package.

I'll bet he doesn't do anything for the Astros except play golf and cash his paychecks.

8. NewRoxFan

... and doing local TV, radio, and print ads, identifying himself as a former Houston Astro...

9. WildSweet&Cool

LOL! Your comment made me think of this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNqiSkd1M6k&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gNqiSkd1M6k&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

10. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

That's right...Nolan Ryan has a personal service contract and he doesn't do anything...if you don't count that elite pitchers camp before spring training.

Neither does Jeff Bagwell...oh but there is that elite hitters camp.

Clemens has always said he enjoys working with the youngsters, so who's to say he won't actually make good use of that personal services contract and help to groom these pitchers. He didn't really leave on bad terms with the club or anything.

And who the hell cares about his whole ego...I want to tap into that knowledge.

#10 JunkyardDwg, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

be selfish the same way that Roger has been selfish. Who cares why he's doing it? He has knowledge to offer. The organization will benefit from it somehow. I'll take it

12. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

FO clemens

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He doesn't have to teach ethics. His actions speak much louder than words.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Does anyone else here think Clemens has taken performance enhancing drugs. I felt that way when he was here, but I kind of kept it to myself because he was pitching and dominating for the Astros.

15. msn

msn Member

So does his performance and his work ethic. We didn't bring him here to show kids how to be the model "good guy". He's here to teach them how to pitch.

16. NewRoxFan

Doesn't it seem like Roger and agent are playing this as much as a continued negotiation play? I read that Roger is waiting until May, and then allowing any of the teams he has pitched for (reckon that means NY, BOS, and HOU... suspect TOR isn't being considered) to approach him to pitch... and then he may decide to retire or not. Seems to not be that different than years past, the main difference being he is playing HOU's personal services contract as a part of the negotiation.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm happy to have him helping out with the players. So long as he doesn't give them any Mitchell report tips.

Evan

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He fits the stereotype, but there has never been any evidence or serious allegations against him. It's certainly possible, but there's no reason to believe that he did.

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Roger Clemens = The McRib

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

What did Clemens do that was unethical?