1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Clemens thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chevytruck, Dec 11, 2003.

1. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

No offense or anything, but your co-workers don't know anything about baseball. The Astros got rid of Wagner, a dominant but significantly overpaid closer, and in return received three young arms, one of whom is an established MLB player with further potential, and at least one of the two remaining prospects is rated very, very highly by scouts across the league. The third player has quite a bit of potential as well. So, in short, the Astros trimmed salary and got good value in return.

They were comfortable doing this because they retain Octavio Dotel, last year's 8th inning pitcher, and Brad Lidge, who handled the 7th. Dotel is an elite reliever, but since he doesn't close many games and pile up saves, he doesn't get a lot of press outside of Houston. In my view, he could be the second best reliever in the NL, behind Smoltz. He has a fastball that's not as powerful as Wagner's, but it's 96 or so and has plenty of movement. He has a good slider also.

Lidge has a solid fastball, but his out pitch is a nasty slider that's just about unhittable for a right handed batter.

As you probably know, the manager likes to pull starters in the 6th-7th inning, somewhere in that range, and hand the game over to an estabished set of relievers. This year Dotel will be the closer, and I (and everyone else who's watched him pitch) predict that he'll be lights-out. You can remind your friends that the Astros got him from the Mets in a trade before the 2000 season. The Mets ended up with Hampton and Derek Bell. Last time I checked Hampton pitched for the Braves and Bell was still in Operation Shutdown. I'm suggesting the Astros got the better of that one.

The 7th and 8th inning rotation is still up in the air, but I expect Lidge to take over the 8th, and there are several solid candidates for the 7th, depending on how our starting rotation shakes down.

2. itzIce

itzIce Member

Clemens an Astro would be a dream come true!

How sweet this sounds.....

the Houston "Rocket" Roger Clemens

itzIce

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Did anybody just catch ABC13 news @ 6 pm tonight? Bob Allen did an interview with Roger at his home and it sounded pretty positive. After they ran the interview, Bob just about "guaranteed" that Roger will pitch for the 'Stros next year! Is that just Bob Allen trying to get ratings or is he in the know?? I'm sure he's not too worried about the Hummer deal expiring. I'm sure Mr. Demontrond has no qualms giving him a Hummer later.

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

This deal is going through.

Astro's fans and people of Houston better brace themselves, because this is going to be one hell of a ride.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well you have been right before ;)

6. Roc Paint

I've never been more excited for the Astros. :)

7. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

No crap man... I'm totally excited. I just kind of hope that in our quest to get the rocket, we lose WMiller and RHidalgo in trades that are essentially salary dumps. McClane... now's your chance... go for broke this season and you'll never loose money again!! The fans WILL reward you!!

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

peter gammons even sounded like he thought it is a huge possibility. don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing though.

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

You do realize that Roger rejected an offer by soem local dealer saying that if he signed with the Stro's he would get a fully loaded hummer for free.

He said NO

ill get the lnk soon enough, its just too late right now. I post tmoorow........

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

If your saying he won't sign because he didn't except that hummer I have some beach front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

;)

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

he keeps mentioning how this is andy's time and whatever. sounds to me he's letting pettite get his welcome home and congratulations, etc. before announcing his plans. man i'm excited.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Well, at least everybody in the sports world knows now that DeMontrond is at least one place to get an H2.

Talk about free advertising!

Common Roger... be our newest Houston Rocket!

13. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

This is Bob Allen's interview with Clemen's yesterday.

Clemens: "I've got the stuff to do it because if I've made the commitment to someone, I'm going to do it all out and not leave anything in the bag."

"This is my home. That aspect sounds exciting. It's exciting just to know people want you."

"I would be doing it because this is my hometown and I know maybe we only have one or two shots because this team will probably get broken up and I'd be kidding you if I didn't go through the lineup a little and look at our guys that are hitting."

Allen: "What better way to end this career that's got the 6 cy young awards up there. To lead your hometown team to a place they've never been to before."

Clemens: "Well it sounds great. Oh yeah. It sounds great. Theres alot to do with that. Andy is going to help out immensely because he was our go to guy. He was our workhorse. Yeah, I think I would have something to offer. I know I would.

"Im hearing it from all ends now. and it's good."

Allen: "You're going to do it.

Clemens: "Am I going to do it? Am I going to do it?"

Allen: "I know you are."

Clemens: "Well. I don't kn...well right now I'm not.

Debbie: (cut's Roger off) "You're going to go to Maui get calm and get a good clean head."

Clemens: "Well, lets put it this way, a week ago alot of people were against it and they've all warmed up to it, but I still..You know I'm working out. I always work out."

back to studio

Allen: "now, before we started the interview Roger slipped and said to me "well now that I'm in the National League" and then he caught himself, he laughed and said "You weren't rolling on that were you?"

"I'd be very surprised if Roger didn't become an Astro."

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

oh. hell. yes.

never have i read a cooler interview transcript. i don't think i've ever been more psyched about any houston team. and that's saying a lot, because i was really, really psyched about the rockets this season.

15. Roc Paint

I'm having a hard time sleeping tonight with this news looming.

Ah, who needs sleep knowing one of the smartest men to ever live was a master of "Rocket" sience and he didn't get much sleep either.;)

Go Astros!!

16. Roc Paint

I like Debbie's quote minus the a. I guess she wanted him to get that Hummer after all. All women should be this understanding. :D

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Notice how he keeps saying "we only have one or two shots" and "look at our guys that are hitting".

Sounds like he's already made up his mind. I heard he's playing golf with Bagwell today...

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is freakin' awesome...That is exactly what we need and I don't know how the salary would work out as Drayton would have to open the wallet, but I would assume if this happens, dalgy is gonzo...

19. Buck Turgidson

Yep, no way he'd ever do that.

Hidalgo ain't going anywhere.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Can you say "hometown discount"?