1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Clemens thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chevytruck, Dec 11, 2003.

1. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

somehow i don't believe that. An owner doesn't go on a radio station and guarantee anything

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I heard on 610 as I was driving home a guarantee that Roger Clemens was going to play for the Astros. But instead of it being Drayton, it was John McClain of the Houston Chronicle.

But he sure sounded mighty confident that this was going to happen...

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Yeah, McClain was pretty confident that Houston wouldn't get the NFL expansion team, too.

I hope Clemens does decide to pitch for the Astros, but John McClain's confidence doesn't sway me to think that it's going to happen. :)

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man I hope we get Clemens. It would be so great.

Back to the Playoffs, and finally we would advance.

5. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

didn't Nolan Ryan have some sort of deal with the Rangers that he only had to be at the park the days he pitched? like for road games he'd fly out the day before....somebody told me that...anybody know?

6. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

if theres one thing ive learned about the astros, its that it doesnt matter how good of players we have, theres no guarantee that we will do anything during the season. as for clemens, i guess it would be cool to have him, but i want him to pitch because he wants to win, not cause he gets to keep his hummer. look at this paragraph from espn.com

Clemens added, "I am happy for Andy [Pettitte]. I think he is going to make a big difference." When asked if he would be in an Astros uniform come April, Clemens responded "maybe," and that the Hummer offer made things interesting. The radio show's deal is good only until Monday morning.

the hummer offer made things interesting? gimme a break. if he is gonna play, it shouldnt matter if he gets a new hummer or not. he should play for us because he wants to WIN and COMPETE. not for a stupid hummer, not so he can hang out with his buddy andy pettite, not cause he needs some pocket change.

7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

a negative post about this situation? you've got to be kidding. he ain't gonna un-retire just for a hummer. it's just a little motivation.

why dont you chill out, take a step back, and realize that the stros could have pettite and clemens on the opening day roster.

so quit yer whining.

8. Uprising

It would be unbelievable to have Clemens. The Hummer is just a poke in the belly, you know, a knudge for Clemens to sign for the Astros.

I would love for him to join the team so he could hang out with his buddy Pettitte and play for his home team. I mean, why the hell would that bother you?! Are you crazy?!
    :confused:

I don't care what motivates him to come and play for the Astros. If he plays for us that would be incredible. I can just imagine how good it would be to watch the Astros play when they have the combo of Clemens and Pettitte...not to mention our own Wade Miller, and Roy Oswalt.

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Reality...

-Astros sign Pettitte away from the Yankees

Then some dreamcasting...

-Astros persuade Clemens out of retirement.

-Astros advance to the world series for the first time in franchise history.

-Astros vs. Yankees, game one of the 2004 world series.

10. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I wish the crew would have went to Roger's house at night.

I love Christmas Lights and I would have love to see what The Clemens Family did to their pretty house, if they put some up of course.

Oh and the whole Hummer thing, I'm sure it was all done in the spirit of having fun with the situation.

11. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

How about this: Astros WIN the world series while George S. watches from the sidelines, crying the whole times as Pettitte takes hold of the career post-season win record.

12. Nomar

Nomar Member

:rolleyes:

Gimme a break.

Clemens wants to play for Houston but is afraid that NY will take away his Hummer?

Another example of this "class act".

I for one don't want this guy anywhere near an Astros uniform, EVER.

It's bad enough with Pettite - at least he doesn't have any really annoying attributes, although his oafish delivery is close.

Clemens would be the absolute worst player I could imgine in an Astros uniform outside of the AntiChrist himself, Derek Jeter.

Great quote on RC - "Roger Clemens. This guy's a piece of work. They say he's not a "real Yankee." That the rest of the Yankees shouldn't be judged by his idiotic personality/behavior/mentality. Bull****. He's the prototypical Yankee. A mercenary superstar who only cares about money and acts like a total *******. He should be the new Yankees logo. Get rid of the "NY" symbol. Just a giant picture of Clemens throwing shattered bats at players and hitting them in the heads with 100 mile an hour baseballs. And Kissing Babe Ruth's monument before the game? **** you Clemens. I hope the monument has herpes."

Touche... touche...

13. franchise?..NOT

Signing Clemens will pay for itself. He will pack the OJ stand everytime out. He and Pettite should have a strong effect on guys like O, Miller, Hernandez, Duckworth, Buchholz. It opens the door for Clemens to be part of the future of the Astros in the same way that McLane is trying to do with Ryan now. Gives us two of the most battle tested postseason pitchers ever to play the game,(even if Clemens is past his prime). This would be the quintessential No Brainer for the 'stros.

What seems strange is that there seems to be no mention of the alleged animosity from Clemens' regarding his previous attempt to play here. Was that all in the media or is McLane going to have to lick some boot B4 Clemens signs?

If Clemens falls into McLanes' lap after Pettite then I want to go to Vegas with McLane real soon B4 he cools off.

14. Uprising

No s*** the hummer thing was a joke.

It was interesting though, for entertainment purposes.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Exactly. :D

16. Al22ex

Al22ex Member

I cannot beleive you guys bashing Clemens.. Roger is a home grown guy... and you know the damn Hummer is just a nice little play by the radio station, hes trying to be funny. It is what people say when theyre trying to have fun... It also may have made Roger think HOLY CRAP they really want me here.

I love Roger... I wish he would have never left Boston since both Boston and Houston are my favorite teams AL and NL respecitvely... But if he can finish his career in Houston and win a world sereis with the stros or even get them there...It would be great for the city of Houston... Im a student up here in Boston and with these moves I would love for my senior year to see a Houston versus Boston World Series..... I hope clemens goes to Houston I would be the first one to get a Clemens jersey..

You need to stop the Clemens bashing... He loves his kids.... If you saw the story ESPN did on him you would know that.... He is a wonderful family man... and probably the best pitcher of his kind since Nolan Ryan... We should be embracing the Big Guy....

Roger if you read this Come to Houston Buddy Youd sell out every game and put the Astros Franchise on the MAP for good!!

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Clemens to Houston a possibility

-Jayson Stark

NEW ORLEANS -- It isn't just idle offseason talk. It isn't just one high-profile baseball player doing his best to talk a buddy into trying on the same uniform.

Nope. As easy as it might have seemed to dismiss that chatter about Roger Clemens joining his pal, Andy Pettitte, next season in Houston as just another hey-wouldn't-that-be-something conversation for your favorite talk-show host, indications are growing that this is a real possibility.

Roger Clemens was 17-9 with a 3.91 ERA for the Yankees last season.

Three days before Pettitte signed with the Astros, we began hearing these Clemens-to-Houston rumblings from an NL executive who was one of the first to tell us that Pettitte looked headed to the Astros.

Then, on the first day of the winter meetings on Friday, we heard the same message from an official of another team, an official who has ties to Houston -- and one who had predicted Pettitte would be an Astro nearly two weeks before it happened.

When the subject of Clemens to Houston came up, the official said, almost matter-of-factly: "Oh, I think that's happening. These two guys are working out together, right? Why are they working out together if the one guy is retired?"

Hmmm, good point. But what about Clemens' emotional, flashbulb-popping "final" World Series pitch? If that wasn't the end, it sure fooled a whole lot of people, from New York to the Rio Grande.

"I never thought that was his final pitch," the official said. "He'll be back. And I think he'll be back in Houston."

We've been hearing this talk as far back as the World Series. Even then, friends were suggesting all kinds of scenarios that could interest Clemens in firing up the engine to pitch another year. And a Pettitte-Clemens reunion back home in Texas was one of them.

But now, baseball people who are hooked into Astros owner Drayton McLane say McLane is openly discussing finding a way to add Clemens to his growing collection of local heroes.

One of those people says McLane has already let Clemens know that even if he doesn't come back to pitch, he is always welcome at Minute Maid Park -- to do anything from shagging flies to tossing batting practice to hanging out in a suite with his kids, eating ribs. But of course, if Clemens does decide to pitch, McLane has made it clear the crack in that door is as wide as the whole state of Texas.

Clemens is a lonnnnngggg ways from deciding he's going to come back, though. And that is just one of the hang-ups that could prevent this fascinating reunion from ever taking place.

Just as messy is the fact that the Astros are already over their projected payroll -- and Clemens isn't dusting off the old splitter for the same money McLane is paying Eric Bruntlett.

But McLane loves his Houstonians. And remember this: Not only are he and Pettitte and Clemens from Houston, but so are both players' agents -- Alan and Randy Hendricks.

So as crazy as this might seem on one level, "don't discount it," says a baseball man who ought to know. And that's good enough for us.

18. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

im not whining. all im saying is that im tired of athletes not retiring when they need to, or playing somwhere just for the money, etc. If clemens plays for us, i want him to play for the right reasons. AND, how can we not be a little pessimistic with the astros front office performance? getting rid of wagner? not wanting to sign hidalgo? what makes anyone think they can dish out the kind of money clemens will want? now, if he plays for the astros for a lowered salary that they can "afford," a la gary payton and karl malone with the lakers, that would be awesome and i would love it.

19. danjojo

danjojo Member

Oswalt, Pettite, Clemens...

i just wanted to see those 3 names together

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hey, maybe we could talk Ryan into coming out of retirement, too! Sure, he turns 57 next month, but I bet he could still take care of most of the league.

Now that I think of it, I bet Koufax is available, too. <g>