1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Clemens thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chevytruck, Dec 11, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Have you ever checked Pettitte's outstanding ERA and terrible run support.

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

That is so true, some guys get lucky, some don't.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I thought we were talking about Robertson.

Plus, I'm pretty sure Pettitte's ERA was about a run higher. Plus, he's got a little thing called postseason appearance.

Regardless, your opinion about Pettitte doesn't change the fact that the only reason Robertson had a good record was solely because of run support.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The discussion is the excitement behind these trades. Someone made the point that Jeremy Robertson's starts would go away, I pointed out that his starts weren't a problem. You chose to mention his run support, I mentioned Pettitte's, the guy who will be replacing him. Do you now see how it relates?

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, again, Pettitte's ERA last year was about a run better not to mention his post-season play. He's also a clutch pitcher while Robertson crapped out against the mighty Brewers in his last start to help us lose the playoff spot.

I'll try to find both of their run support stats.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

pgabriel -- you called sportsradio 610 last night around 6:30, didn't you?

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Damn, Pettitte had the second highest run support in the AL and Robertson wasn't even in the top 40 in the NL.

I still don't think you'll find too many people who'd rather have Robertson on their team than Pettitte.

Like I said in one of the other threads, I don't think they should get rid of any of their pitchers. I think Pettitte and Clemens will have a huge influence on all of them.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He didn't pitch enough innings to get mentioned in the top 40 - remove that restriction and he too is 2nd in the NL.

But remember, an AL pitcher pitches to a lineup containing a dh not a pitcher. Getting Frank Thomas out is a lot tougher than getting Greg Maddux out.

Bottom line is we have significantly upgraded out starters, which was needed. Healthy, we added at least 15 more wins and probably more.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

I found this pretty entertaining:

The Rocket's golden moments
    By Jim Caple
    Page 2 columnist

Roger Clemens was retired about as long as Britney Spears was married. Short as it might have been, though, the Rocket Man's retirement was absolutely exhausting. Our exclusive peek inside his diary reveals . . .

Oct. 26: I cleaned out my locker at Yankee Stadium today and said good-bye to all the boys. Writers keep asking whether there's any chance I'll come back next year, but they're hunting the wrong dog. I'm not like Michael Jordon and Magic Johnson -- some poor old athlete unable to leave the game or find satisfaction in another venture. Sure, I'll miss the camaraderie and the competition, but this is what I want and I'm not looking back. I've missed too much time with my family because of baseball and I'm looking forward to the rest of my life.

"Farewell, fans. It's been great. I'm honored to go out as a Yankee."
    Oct. 27: What a great day. Nothing to do and not a care in the world. I slept in until noon and spent the whole afternoon watching TV. I never knew "Matlock'' was on during the day, too.

Oct. 28: Despite what everyone said, I'm not going to have any trouble keeping busy in retirement because I've just got too many exciting projects on my plate. Like today. I worked the entire day, but it was worth it because I've never seen the garage so clean.

Oct. 30: Another good thing about being retired is having the time to sit down and finally get all your papers in order. But damn, my 401K plan has taken a hit.

Nov. 2: Cleaned the garage again.

Nov. 4: Doesn't MTV ever show music videos anymore?

Nov. 6: Filed for free agency but just as a mere formality. I mean, I've turned the page on that chapter of my life. And I have far too much on my agenda to even consider pitching again.

Nov. 10: Went to the hardware store and looked at nails and doorknobs.

Nov. 14: A wasted day. I looked all day but could not remember where I put my car keys. And then when I finally gave up, Debbie found them right on the coffee table but I swear they weren't there when I looked.

Nov. 18: Doesn't Bravo ever show anything but re-runs of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?''

"Wow! The Boss game me a Hummer! Man, am I honored to go out as a Yankee."
    Nov. 20: Cleaned the garage again.

Nov. 25: Did all the Thanksgiving grocery shopping for Debbie. But I can't believe the prices. Seventy cents per pound for turkey? I remember when you could buy an entire 36-pound Tom turkey for 70 cents -- and they threw in a can of cranberry sauce for free. What is this country coming to?

Dec. 3: Went down to the basement and threw baseballs at the life-sized poster of Mike Piazza, just to maintain my touch. Hit him every time. I've still got it. Not that I need it, but it's nice to know. Just in case of, like, burglars. Or something.

Dec. 5: Lost my car keys again.

Dec. 7: I tell you, that Andy Rooney cracks me up every time.

Dec. 11: Andy Pettitte signed with the Astros today. Hmmmm. I wonder whether they would be interested in signing me. Not that I would want to because I love being retired. But I was just wondering.

Dec. 12: And it couldn't hurt to call the Astros and see what's up. Could it?

Dec. 18: Stopped by Wal-Mart while shopping for Christmas presents and just for the heck of it, filled out an application to be a greeter.

Dec. 20: Boy, it was cold today. But not, as I was telling the boys at the hardware store this morning, anywhere near as cold as it was that one day, oh, must have been six years ago. Now, that was cold.

Dec. 24: Went over to Don Zimmer's place to watch "White Christmas.'' I tell you, that Rosemary Clooney was some looker.

"Ahh, screw it. Hey, at least Sox fans and Yanks fans have something in common now."
    Dec. 25: Debbie, me and the boys enjoyed a very pleasant Christmas together. Although I just don't understand these violent video games the boys all wanted for Christmas. And some of the music they listen to, have you ever heard the lyrics? I don't understand why they wear their pants so low, either. And don't get me started on those hairstyles.

Dec. 31: Spent New Year's Eve at home watching the show from Times Square. Whatever happened to that nice Guy Lombardo? Or maybe he was on after I went to bed at 11:30.

Jan. 6: Does Debbie hide my car keys when I'm not looking?

Jan. 10: The Astros called and asked me whether I wanted to pitch for them next season. Naturally, I told them no, sorry, I was too busy and that I was enjoying retirement too much and that I couldn't disappoint my family.

Jan. 11: Debbie and the boys told me to call the Astros back and tell them yes

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No but I did call about the Pettitte deal.

I actually don't have a problem with the Clemens deal, its just for one year. Why not?? I just think there will be a lot of dissappointed Astros fans at the end of next season, because I just don't think you guys are going to get what you expect. Pettitte's numbers are average, Clemens is old.

12. haven

haven Member

Pettite isn't actually that great of a postseason pitcher. His career postseason stats are about in-line with how he pitches any other time.

Hyperbole. Pettite's getting overpaid, but he's hardly average. He's just not the elite player that many think he is.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its funny, even though you are one of the few who agree with me that Pettite's overpaid, my main contention with his signing is that he's overpaid as his salary relates to the Astros budget. I'm sure he could have gotten 1 or 2 million dollars more elsewhere. But the Astros are a team limited by their budget, yet they give a third starter (on this staff) $10 million.

14. MadMax

he'll be the #2 starter

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Wade Miller is a better pitcher than Pettitte.

16. MadMax

ummmm.. no he's not. unless he's pitching against the Brewers..then he's freaking Cy Young.

and petttite is also a lefty...i'm sure they'll pitch him #2 between two righties

17. gs1998

gs1998 Member

Just out of curiousity, what makes you think so?

Compare their pitching stats:

mlb pitcher comparison: Pettitte v. Miller

Player TEAM WPCT TB BK WP IBB SB CS PK GO AO GO/AO WHIP SLG OBA
    1. W Miller HOU .519 261 0 4 1 9 5 0 207 180 1.21 1.31 .376 .323
    2. A Pettitte NYY .724 336 0 5 3 13 1 0 269 171 1.68 1.33 .402 .312

18. gs1998

gs1998 Member

whoops. Copied the wrong stats...

Player TEAM W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO
    1. W Miller HOU 14 13 4.13 33 33 1 0 0 0 187.1 168 96 86 17 10 77 161
    2. A Pettitte NYY 21 8 4.02 33 33 1 0 0 0 208.1 227 109 93 21 1 50 180

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Because Wade Miller in an off year had similar stats to an Andy Pettitte average year.

20. gs1998

gs1998 Member

An off-year? How do you know it's an off-year, when it could just possibly be that Miller had a phenomenal year in 2001 and is cooling down from that?

Miller career stats