1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roger Clemens thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by chevytruck, Dec 11, 2003.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

Me Neither. I think it's great. He could probably k at least 40 pitchers next year and move in behind old Nolan Ryan.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

He'd only need 9 more seasons to catch him :eek:

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I figured he'd get something like that... I mean, he's firmly entrenched in the Houston community, and was already good friends w/ everybody in the organization.

In fact, he always used the MMP weight room in the off-season, and talked a lot last year about coming down to work w/ our young pitchers.

But... lets not get any ideas of what cap he'll be wearing in the HOF.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I just wanted to comment that this may actually turn into Clemens playing 2 or 3 seasons depending on how his health holds up. He said at the press conference he would play at least one season. This is what they were discussing on ESPN.

5. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Yeah, did you see Rocket dodge and weave that question on Sportscenter? Dan Patrick asked Rocket if this was "one and done" or "one and let's see how it goes." Roger said he didn't "even want to even get into that" and started babbling about something completely different.

It was obvious that Rocket was not prepared to say definitively this was for one year and one year only ...

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Long live The Rocket's health.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

not since Randy Johnson's ankle destroying slider has an Astros pitcher really scared hitters. Roger Clemens is a mean mother****er on that diamond, and there's no one in his right mind who's going to dig in on the inside of the plate against Roger.

The thing I'm going to like is ending all this nonsense about "If he weren't in the AL, where he didn't have to bat he wouldn't buzz hitters like he does". That's just nonsense, and I'm fairly certain that some unfortunate hitter in the third game of the year is going to do a nose dive into the dirt discovering that.

I can only hope it's Jim Edmonds . . .

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I think Tim Redding or Kevin Duckworth could be very effective as setup men. Both guys are pretty hard throwers that we could plug in during the 7th and 8th innings to get some tough outs. Whoever doesn't get the final rotation spot would be an ideal setup man, along with Brad Lidge.

As this point, I'm ready to relegate Jeriome Robertson to the long-reliever for blowout losses and some spot starts, like Ron Villone.

9. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Thanks for the pictures nWo...

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME NEWS!!!

This really is the year for the 'Stros, if not this year, we're not gonna have a chance for a real loooong time.

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'm later than late with responding, but I have read all the latest posts with giddy emotions coupled with working late, and now I finally let it out here since hearing about it earlier...Wow!....:D

This is like a dream come true for me, because I really think this is now or never! Win-it-all or bust! I cannot be more excited because I will eventually move out of state in mid-summer (probably July), and at least I will get the pleasure of being here (in Houston) to see it happen now...even being away, I WILL watch the games,...I WILL get FOX sports world on T.V. including Fox sports SW, or whatever I have to do to continue geeking up on this!!!

Exciting time!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This totally makes up for us letting Nolan Ryan go...

WOOOT !!

DD

12. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Personally, I'm (slowly) trying to score some tickets, mainly for the game. But remember how Boston was? Remember all of those thousands of fans outside the green monster?

I can't imagine what it will be like outside Union Station. There will be at least 10 out of the stadium.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What are you talking about DD Nolan Ryan is here? ;)

14. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

I'm sorry i just can't agree with you. I will never forgive the Astros for giving up Ryan, no matter what they do after the fact. (I do not blame current management though obviously)

15. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

someone was telling me that clemens signed a personal service agreement for 10 yrs with astros. and he was saying on the radio he will be glad to talk to wood.. beckett the like lol...

yeah yeah I know I should stop dreaming but hey... i heard we may end up with nolan as a member of organization.. plus roger.. and kerry loves the two.. he's from texas.. has the hendricks as agents...

yeah I'll stop dreaming now..

16. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

All his kid's names start with a K; I thought that was an interesting read.

17. GranvilleWaders

Why are these random Texans post about Sean Taylor in the Clemens thread?

pgabriel - The Rox were not a championship nucleus as a matter of fact were really struggling when they got drexler and ended up the number 6 seed..that is not championship..but we all saw what Drexler does come playoff time and that is the difference..

So anyone can say this or that with what Roger or Pettite will do or what their ERA's might be but the fact is once we are in the playoffs...you have to beat Clemens, Pettite, and Oswalt...in a 7 game series you are likely to see Pettite and Clemens and Oswalt twice..you are not likely to beat them twice

this is exactly how Arizona won it all two years ago..in a 7 game series you saw Schilling and Big Unit twice!... this is the best shot the Stros have had since 86!!

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Jeremy Robertson wasn't a problem last season, he went 15-9.

19. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

This is going to be a media filled year for the stros. We will be all over Sport Center and Baseball Tonight this is freaking awesome! I just think that Andy and Roger will make the team much more aggressive with the emotion they show when they are on the mound. I'm tired of the professional demeanor the stros have shown the past few years.

Anybody heard coments from Mr. Jeff Kent about this deal?

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He also had a 5.10 ERA. Take away his outstanding run support, and you wouldn't have just posted that.